Hudds Chairman: ‘Carlos cost SWFC the Premier League’

1 hour ago, vulva said:

He might want to get his facts straight. Tom Lees scored the goal for Huddersfield. And they won the playoffs without scoring a goal, so they can hardly take the moral high ground on positive football. 

Yeah. But he's right about Carlos bottling it.

45 minutes ago, the monk said:

Yes but we finished 6th and 4th !

Oh and  the football that 1st season !

Look what he's doing with Braga ( who have been out of the top 5, 4 times in 21 years!)

He bottled it but he is still a quality manager. Ive been following Braga this year and they are pulling up trees for him. 2nd now above Benfica and Porto in the league, did well in the cups to a point and will probably finish in a Champions league spot.

Think he has a fatal weakness that he overthinks big games though imo.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

What was more annoying was how we got to 4th. We’d been negative all year then away at Barnsley when they equalised in injury time (fully deserved they battered us) we dropped out of the playoffs. He then changed went back to the previous years team went more attacking and won 6 on the bounce to finish 4th.  We were the form team we have confidence we should have romped that playoff but reverting back to that tactic was appalling management 

We were the form team and I think Huddersfield had lost something like 7 of their previous 10 games. 

• Like 2

I'm not anti Carlos or anything but going defensive wasn't exactly against his nature. As much as I enjoy the football in his first season there were games against certain teams at home Derby and Hull spring to mind where we set up to get a point. We played exactly the same way in the play off final against Hull.

I still think in that play off game against Huddersfield if we'd have gone at them for ten minutes after we scored we could have easily wrapped that up, with the crowd fully behind them.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

As for that Semi final. Taking Fletcher off after an hour in the 2nd leg was madness. Especially considering he brought Rhodes on then tried to sit back. Amazingly it’s a nonsensical substitution we still make today. 

Why do people still go on about the Fletcher substitution being stupid? He was injured!

Biggest miss for us was Hooper. He'd been out for a while, came back near the end of the season and we won 6 games on the bounce, then he got injured again and missed the playoffs. I don't think we'd have been as poor in the second leg if Hooper had played and Wallace didn't get crocked after 2 minutes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, the monk said:

Yes but we finished 6th and 4th !

Oh and  the football that 1st season !

Look what he's doing with Braga ( who have been out of the top 5, 4 times in 21 years!)

Last season he managed Rio Ave to their best ever season, the season before he joined they got 10 points less and since he he left for Braga and Rio Ave are now nowhere near getting the same number of points. 

This season he has Braga currently in 2nd place, they will likely finish no lower than 4th, they reached the league cup final and will also compete in the Portuguese Cup final. 

If you want to belittle these achievements fair enough. 

Carlos was a very good coach, perhaps the best I’ve seen at Hillsborough. It’s hard to compare him to managers of yesteryear of course, when football was a less complicated game He improves players and is always trying to come up with solutions, some might say, overthinking things. 

• Like 1

Guest Mcguigan
2 hours ago, S63 Owl said:

That’s the year we proper failed - previous season nobody could’ve predicted us doing so well. But the play offs the following season were there for the taking. Lots of factors to blame including our failure to add the 2/3 players needed to improve the squad and as the Hudds chairman says not going for it more in the first leg 

:tango:

Guest T Hardy
2 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

:tango:

What? We did need a massive overhaul at that time if we were going to push on and remain competitive near the top. Look whats happened now we didn’t rebuild. 

Guest wilyfox
1 hour ago, tomhollywood said:

Sounds familiar 🙄

Spunking playoff semi a bit different to a 2-0 lead at Luton.

Guest T Hardy
7 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

If we had Hooper we go up 

Simple as 

Yep

Nobody will convince me “Carlos bottling it” was a bigger factor than our injuries, before that 2nd leg and on the night 

Edited by T Hardy