Hudds Chairman: ‘Carlos cost SWFC the Premier League’

He just set up the way he had in practically every other game that season. Why would he change, when it had been such a successful tactic, in taking us to a 4th place finish? Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but imagine if he had switched tactics, and we went on to lose 3 nil? Everyone would be saying, why switch tactics, when those tactics had taken us so far. It was annoying, because I think we could have gone all the way with a little more adventure, but I can see why he thought, more of the same should do it

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Dean Hoyle, the chairman of Huddersfield when we played them in the playoff semi-final says he thinks Carlos cost Sheffield Wednesday promotion to the Premier League

“Sheffield Wednesday, what a tough day that was, especially when Fletcher scored. Hillsborough was absolutely rocking.

“We scored the equaliser through Nahki Wells. I actually think in that game, the Sheffield Wednesday manager lost them that game.

“He came to the John Smith’s, and he went for a nil-nil draw, and he shouldn’t have because we were at our most fragile at home with the way we attacked. That’s my view.

“I think he missed an opportunity. I think if he’d gone for us at Huddersfield, they probably had better players than us at the time with Forestieri, Fletcher, Bannan, some great players, I think they probably would’ve beaten us in that semi-final.

“But it was risk averse, and it back-fired, and I still believe that. And then we went on to Wembley, which just all came together.”

He made it about him -a criminal thing for any manager to do.  You see the same now with Allardyce in the Prem, and Pulis when he was here.  He wanted to be known as a tactical genius so set the players up that way in the semi, instead of just letting us play our own game.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

That’s the year we proper failed - previous season nobody could’ve predicted us doing so well. But the play offs the following season were there for the taking. Lots of factors to blame including our failure to add the 2/3 players needed to improve the squad and as the Hudds chairman says not going for it more in the first leg 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

He made it about him -a criminal thing for any manager to do.  You see the same now with Allardyce in the Prem, and Pulis when he was here.  He wanted to be known as a tactical genius so set the players up that way in the semi, instead of just letting us play our own game.

but we played that way all season, and garnered more points than we did in the Wembley season

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

I feel the transfers made that season are what really cost us.  Not signing a adequate replacement/back up to Wallace, a defensive midfielder and a centre back was the issue.  And wasting the money on Rhodes, Winnall, Abdi, Reach etc.  

When Wallace went off injured after 2 mins in the second leg we were in big trouble 

I wholeheartedly agree, and it was the main reason Carlos devised the new way of playing He was on record as saying, he got none of the type of players he wanted, including that defensive midfielder

• Like 1

Guest mrbluesky
9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

He just set up the way he had in practically every other game that season. Why would he change, when it had been such a successful tactic, in taking us to a 4th place finish? Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but imagine if he had switched tactics, and we went on to lose 3 nil? Everyone would be saying, why switch tactics, when those tactics had taken us so far. It was annoying, because I think we could have gone all the way with a little more adventure, but I can see why he thought, more of the same should do it

The thing is through that season we (imo) winged it slightly, CC's team became less flamboyant and more defence minded, people will disagree, but the writing was on the wall, was it that some players weren't up to it like previous seasons as in age could have been a factor, also poor signings, I know the people I went with were scratching their heads at where we finished, could have been a poor league that season, my memory fades, even more so now!lol 

It was a strange season all around. We were poor for large chunks of it, negative dull (thank God those days are over 😜), but when we got to the play offs you kinda thought we'd go for it, like we did the season before. For whatever reason, we just didn't. Massive missed opportunity. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mrbluesky said:

The thing is through that season we (imo) winged it slightly, CC's team became less flamboyant and more defence minded, people will disagree, but the writing was on the wall, was it that some players weren't up to it like previous seasons as in age could have been a factor, also poor signings, I know the people I went with were scratching their heads at where we finished, could have been a poor league that season, my memory fades, even more so now!lol 

I’m not sure we winged it, it was more by design. Carlos was aggrieved that he didn’t get the players he wanted, despite millions being spent, and realised we were ill equipped to play an expansive game. 
We didn’t have the legs, so he devised a system to get the most from the players he had and trusted. It was all about controlling games. Not defensive in the way a Pulis or Allardyce might play, but about keeping the ball and creating a box in midfield that was difficult to break down. Personally I didn’t like that way of playing, and said so at the time, but what he devised was effective. Would he have played that way had the recruitment team brought in the players he wanted? I doubt it

• Like 1

everything changed in the big games after that Brighton playoff semi when we got absolutely battered for 20+ mins. After that in the big games he bottled it and tried too hard to outsmart the other team. Previous to that the attitude was 'let them worry about us'.

• Like 4