Hudds Chairman: ‘Carlos cost SWFC the Premier League’

There was a thread on here after that first leg fans praising a master class 

We should have killed the tie off in the first leg 

We had done the double over them and they finished the season on minus goal difference and was in terrible form 

Carlos just did what every manager has done here for the last 25 years 

Turned ultra defensive and worried about the other teams strengths rather than our own 

Darren Moore will do the same in a few months time 

I seem to recall running for the train after being sat in the home end of that Udders first leg, more than happy with a 0-0.

It was a tactical battle, like a european 2 legged tie, & I don't think many away sides regret getting a draw first. The home leg did for us. Score first, shut up shop was the answer. IMO, for what it's worth. Probably as much as old Card Factory chairman's. 

22 hours ago, T Hardy said:

I think we should have been more positive in that first leg for sure.

In that second leg we were just completely crippled by injuries - like Brighton were the season before that we were able to take advantage of.

I don’t buy this nonsense that Carlos “bottled” the tie. Yes, should have been more positive at Huddersfield. But nobody can tell me that having 2 players go off injured, along with Pudil, Hutch and Forestieri been totally crippled wasn’t the biggest factor in us not winning the game at Hillsborough. I still find that most people who accuse Carlos of bottling it don’t know that Fletcher went off injured - they believe it was a tactical decision. 

Fletch going off injured now theres a novelty😉

He’s bang on.

We’d done the double over them in the regular season, we had better players and they had their reserve keeper in goal for the first leg.

There was no reason for us to be so negative in those matches but Carlos approached the final the previous year in exactly the same way.

If I’d have been Chansiri he’d have been sacked before he got into the dressing room after the final against Hull.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

He’s bang on.

We’d done the double over them in the regular season, we had better players and they had their reserve keeper in goal for the first leg.

There was no reason for us to be so negative in those matches but Carlos approached the final the previous year in exactly the same way.

If I’d have been Chansiri he’d have been sacked before he got into the dressing room after the final against Hull.

Bit harsh TT considering we finished higher year after 🤔

For me, Carlos gets the plaudits for getting that side anywhere near the play offs. Yes having got there, it was disappointing to go out in the manner in which exited, but truthfully, that squad was not promotion material. The poor recruitment in year two, was more of a hinderance than a benefit, and Carlos did remarkably well to get them to the play offs. It was those very same tactics he devised, which enabled such a mess of a squad to finish two places higher than the previous year. We got there in spite of the money spent, and not because of it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The only way is S6 said:

Bit harsh TT considering we finished higher year after 🤔

The group of players he had should’ve been challenging for the top 2, as Keith Andrews said at the time, the side didn’t have a plan, we just seemed to rely on having better players than the opposition.

As for league placing, the only reason we climbed to 4th in the last few weeks of the season because Leeds imploded and lost something like 7 of their last 8 matches and Huddersfield started playing the reserves when they qualified for the playoffs.

A different manager would’ve taken that side up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

The group of players he had should’ve been challenging for the top 2, as Keith Andrews said at the time, the side didn’t have a plan, we just seemed to rely on having better players than the opposition.

As for league placing, the only reason we climbed to 4th in the last few weeks of the season because Leeds imploded and lost something like 7 of their last 8 matches and Huddersfield started playing the reserves when they qualified for the playoffs.

Hmm, maybe. Finishing 4th could have had summat to do with us winning all 6 games in April too, under CC. 🤷🏻‍♂️ We’ll never know, sadly. 

It’s all in the past now. The present is horrible enough to contemplate without dwelling on past opportunities lost.
That said, I still remember trudging down those stairs of the south stand in silence along with 100s of Wednesdayites in total shock at what we had witnessed. 
My good friend is a Huddersfield fan and he still says he felt embarrassed for us after our loss to them. Obviously he was delighted for himself but knew we were a better side and they were through because we choked. 

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

For me, Carlos gets the plaudits for getting that side anywhere near the play offs. Yes having got there, it was disappointing to go out in the manner in which exited, but truthfully, that squad was not promotion material. The poor recruitment in year two, was more of a hinderance than a benefit, and Carlos did remarkably well to get them to the play offs. It was those very same tactics he devised, which enabled such a mess of a squad to finish two places higher than the previous year. We got there in spite of the money spent, and not because of it

Tosh!.

He couldn't even motivate them to take penalty's.

His time went on to prove an utter disaster for the club, which we are still paying for today, in the article he admits that HE was in control of ALL the signings at the club while he was there.

1 hour ago, adelphi1867 said:

Tosh!.

He couldn't even motivate them to take penalty's.

His time went on to prove an utter disaster for the club, which we are still paying for today, in the article he admits that HE was in control of ALL the signings at the club while he was there.

Yeah right, and that was why he was so keen to use them

1 hour ago, TrickyTrev said:

Nah don’t see it Trev. All about opinions, but I think we subsequently saw how good that group of players were after witnessing their dramatic collapse months later. Numerous managers have failed to address the slide. Reach, Abdi, Fletcher, Jones, Winnall and Rhodes, might have looked like shiny signings, but in truth they were very poor, and added very little to the Wembley side

19 hours ago, Avon barksdale said:

I don’t believe he cost us against Hull,  I think whatever team he played and style we’d have lost . Huddersfield was a big opportunity missed though . He was definitely too cautious the first leg and not replacing pudil sooner cost us big time . It was clear to see Quaner had the beating of him . I think Fletcher was injured personally so don’t blame him for that either. 

Hull were just stronger and more savvy than us and took a great goal to beat us. Huddersfield though was their for the taking, 00 at theirs was  OK but in reality we played with no real desire and didn't try to win it. Mistake as the return game was now a one off and we gave them confidence that they had a chance and they took it.

Most disappointed i have been walking away from a game. That was our chance.

As for CC, gone on to prove he is a decent manager after all.

Guest T Hardy
1 hour ago, The only way is S6 said:

Hmm, maybe. Finishing 4th could have had summat to do with us winning all 6 games in April too, under CC. 🤷🏻‍♂️ We’ll never know, sadly. 

Some people refuse to have a balanced view. 

Ridiculous to say he should have been sacked after Wembley. Even our most optimistic fans said maybe we’d have a late play off push. No fan thought we’d get as close as we did. Suggesting CC should have been sacked after Wembley is nonsense and would have gone down as one the most bizarre decisions we’ve ever seen in football. 

Like I said though, some people are just 100% critical and bitter towards CC and won’t take a balanced view.

And we weren’t a top 2 squad that second season. No way were we better than Newcastle or Brighton. A lot of re-writing of history there from the CC haters.

Guest T Hardy
13 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Nah don’t see it Trev. All about opinions, but I think we subsequently saw how good that group of players were after witnessing their dramatic collapse months later. Numerous managers have failed to address the slide. Reach, Abdi, Fletcher, Jones, Winnall and Rhodes, might have looked like shiny signings, but in truth they were very poor, and added very little to the Wembley side

But but Keith Andrews says otherwise 🤡🤣

Guest T Hardy

I think CC was largely responsible for one of our best years supporting Wednesday that a lot of us will remember. As things get even worse for us over these next few years, I think we’ll come to realise even more how good those times were. 

Insulting him and trying to suggest he was failure here I don’t think is what he deserves.

46 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

I think CC was largely responsible for one of our best years supporting Wednesday that a lot of us will remember. As things get even worse for us over these next few years, I think we’ll come to realise even more how good those times were. 

Insulting him and trying to suggest he was failure here I don’t think is what he deserves.

We lost the final and the semis the season after, that's failure in my book.