Hudds Chairman: ‘Carlos cost SWFC the Premier League’

7 hours ago, vulva said:

He might want to get his facts straight. Tom Lees scored the goal for Huddersfield. And they won the playoffs without scoring a goal, so they can hardly take the moral high ground on positive football. 

No doubt true but CC was mad to go for a draw at Huddersfield even when playing FF not fit. He should have left immediately. 

7 hours ago, gurujuan said:

but we played that way all season, and garnered more points than we did in the Wembley season

Still have to be able to do the basics of add some speed on the counter attack when winning/playing an energetic side.

He signed wingers and didn’t play them as he was 100% focused on control of the game via possession.

Having said that had we finished one or two of the good chances in that game then he would’ve been praised for it

7 hours ago, vulva said:

He might want to get his facts straight. Tom Lees scored the goal for Huddersfield. And they won the playoffs without scoring a goal, so they can hardly take the moral high ground on positive football. 

2 key games that were bottled, as was the PO Final the previous year.

CC didn’t have the temperament to get us through those games by encouraging/motivating/setting up the team to win.  He had never shown at previous clubs he had what it took to deliver when the chips were down and so it proved.

Thats the bottom line - moral high ground or not, history will show Hull and Huddersfield played in the Prem and we stayed in the Champ.

Huge opportunities missed and we are now on the verge of L1 - your couldn’t make it up.

• Like 2

I don’t believe he cost us against Hull,  I think whatever team he played and style we’d have lost . Huddersfield was a big opportunity missed though . He was definitely too cautious the first leg and not replacing pudil sooner cost us big time . It was clear to see Quaner had the beating of him . I think Fletcher was injured personally so don’t blame him for that either. 

• Like 1

As I mentioned in my previous post, our overall record against other teams in the top 7 in our 2 play-off seasons under Carlos was: P 29 W 5 D 12 L 12. And two of the wins were against teams who played at least 20 minutes with 10 men. To me, those statistics suggest either that the players weren't quite as good as we like to think they were, or that we (Carlos) tended to adopt a safety-first approach in such games. As such, I would suggest that the play-off games, rather than being examples of us 'bottling it' were actually par for the course for us against the top teams. We weren't going to start playing like the 1970  Brazil team at Huddersfield just because they had a rookie keeper. We were always going to keep it tight, knowing we had the home leg to come. Most teams would have done the same. Even had we beaten Huddersfield, I don't see any reason for thinking we would have swatted aside Reading - who finished above us and did the double over us that season (and have twice been promoted to the Premier League since we were last in it) - in the final. Of course, anything can happen in a one-off game, but I think it's much more likely it would have been just as tight as the actual final was.

• Like 2

I’m pretty sure many were claiming that our draw away at Huddersfield was a defensive and tactical masterclass at the time 

Who knows what the effect Wallace’s early injury had on our game plan in the 2nd leg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Avon barksdale said:

I don’t believe he cost us against Hull,  I think whatever team he played and style we’d have lost . Huddersfield was a big opportunity missed though . He was definitely too cautious the first leg and not replacing pudil sooner cost us big time . It was clear to see Quaner had the beating of him . I think Fletcher was injured personally so don’t blame him for that either. 

We drew with Hull twice that season if I recall so the honours even.  

We were so passive in the final it’s impossible to say whether we could have won or not, but over the seasons as a whole we showed we could compete with them.

Unfortunately we just didn’t when it really counted and the more one reflects on it, especially in light of our current predicament, the worse it looks.

11 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Dean Hoyle, the chairman of Huddersfield when we played them in the playoff semi-final says he thinks Carlos cost Sheffield Wednesday promotion to the Premier League

“Sheffield Wednesday, what a tough day that was, especially when Fletcher scored. Hillsborough was absolutely rocking.

“We scored the equaliser through Nahki Wells. I actually think in that game, the Sheffield Wednesday manager lost them that game.

“He came to the John Smith’s, and he went for a nil-nil draw, and he shouldn’t have because we were at our most fragile at home with the way we attacked. That’s my view.

“I think he missed an opportunity. I think if he’d gone for us at Huddersfield, they probably had better players than us at the time with Forestieri, Fletcher, Bannan, some great players, I think they probably would’ve beaten us in that semi-final.

“But it was risk averse, and it back-fired, and I still believe that. And then we went on to Wembley, which just all came together.”

So true.  Big Ron would have buoyed up the players and told them they were world beaters before the first leg tie.  We would have won that leg comfortably.  When it mattered most Carlos lost his balls.

Dean Hoyle, the chairman of Huddersfield when we played them in the playoff semi-final says he thinks Carlos cost Sheffield Wednesday promotion to the Premier League

“Sheffield Wednesday, what a tough day that was, especially when Fletcher scored. Hillsborough was absolutely rocking.

“We scored the equaliser through Nahki Wells. I actually think in that game, the Sheffield Wednesday manager lost them that game.

“He came to the John Smith’s, and he went for a nil-nil draw, and he shouldn’t have because we were at our most fragile at home with the way we attacked. That’s my view.

“I think he missed an opportunity. I think if he’d gone for us at Huddersfield, they probably had better players than us at the time with Forestieri, Fletcher, Bannan, some great players, I think they probably would’ve beaten us in that semi-final.

“But it was risk averse, and it back-fired, and I still believe that. And then we went on to Wembley, which just all came together.”

Cheers for reminding us, Dean...

33WEIp6GJpg2gdxn1S2aZGgLXzKskU4bzJeSppJP

5 minutes ago, Marro said:

So true.  Big Ron would have buoyed up the players and told them they were world beaters before the first leg tie.  We would have won that leg comfortably.  When it mattered most Carlos lost his balls.

Like when we went Chelsea - even as underdogs we went there to win. 

100% correct.

Although I would argue more that in the 2nd leg at home we should have really taken the game to them...instead of clinging on with negative defensive football.
It REALLY wee wees me off when I think about it. Huddersfield and subsequently Reading were not good teams at all and that was an amazing opportunity to reach the PL, we haven’t since seen weaker teams in the playoffs and probably won’t over the next 10 years. 
WHY he still insisted on forcing in Hutchinson and moving Bannan out to LM instead of playing Lee/Bannan in the middle with FF/Reach out wide I will never ever know. (However if Wallace doesn’t get injured 5 minutes in and Hooper was fit I think we win that game...injuries ******** us once again)

Which is what ultimately cost CC his job, a ignorance to change when things weren’t working!

Interestingly, Carlos blocked me on Twitter when I replied to a tweet he wrote about the playoff semi asking why he set us up so negatively 🙃🙃🙃

Just now, Lionel Fessi said:

Interestingly, Carlos blocked me on Twitter when I replied to a tweet he wrote about the playoff semi asking why he set us up so negatively 🙃🙃🙃

Nothing wrong with that bro - these people have to keep a positive mental attitude otherwise they'd go crackera

Owlstalk Shop

The Hull game annoyed me more than the Huddersfield game.

The Huddersfield game - yeah, maybe should have shown more intent in the first leg. Unlucky with the injuries in the second leg, especially the one to Fletcher which handed the momentum over to Huddersfield, but the previous year we were the benefactors of Brighton's injury problems so it's swings and roundabouts I suppose

Against Hull, we played them away a couple of months earlier and drew 0-0.  A creditable result on paper that didn't tell the entire story of the game - a game in which Wednesday set up 4-4-2 with Forestieri/Hooper and created absolutely nothing. Hull's 5-man midfield dominated the game and Wednesday couldn't play through it at all. The front two were unable to challenge for any long balls, and as a result we had hardly any possession in their final third. Defended pretty well, but most of the game was played in Wednesday's half and despite a decent draw we never looked like scoring.

Cut to Wembley - I remember worrying that if we set up the same way again, Hull's 5 man midfield would dominate.  Surely Carlos would review the previous encounter and adjust tactically?  Then when I saw the lineups my heart sank.  Same team as before, and as expected the game followed the same pattern as the 0-0 draw, only Wednesday's defence was a little shakier this time around. Same problems - unable to play through the middle third, strikers unable to complete for direct balls, hardly any possesion in Hull's third.

With the scoreline 0-0 at halftime despite being second best, surely Carlos must see that we're being outplayed and make changes?  But no.  We persist with the same system, and Hull continue to dominate. 

A good manager would have altered the system to try and counter Hull, especially after we'd been outplayed for the first 45 minutes.  But Carlos did nothing and just let us meekly slide to defeat. It's not like we didn't have a variety of options on the bench either.  It was just proper rabbit-in-the-headlights management.  Hull were a decent side with some good players no doubt, but they were hardly bloody Man City.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

No, the one he wanted was William Carvalho, along with Lucas Piazon, and a speedy winger from a club in Belgium, who’s name I forget. But he got Dave Jones, Jordan Rhodes and the, less than speedy Adam Reach

Surely that’s wrong, I remember Carvalho playing in and obviously winning the euros. He’s fallen away since but probably would have cost 30m at the time. I know we spent a lot but we weren’t in that market.

he'd played in a cautious way all season and it got  us to 4th spot so i can understand why he didnt change how we set up .........it didnt work but if 2 pens had gone the other way it probably would ,they didnt so the bloke   is classed as a failure . 

• Like 3

Managers can never win can they? Just imagine if CC had changed the way we had played all season at Huddersfield and got beaten - the criticism would have been enormous and I’m pretty sure would have come from many on here who say we should have been more attacking.

We didn’t lose the game at Hillsboro, we drew and lost the tie on penalties after conceding an unfortunate own goal. Injuries were the decisive factor and I think many forget that Wallace and Fletcher would have been two of our first 5 penalty takers as well as being two of our most influential players. We got lucky against Brighton the year before with injuries and unlucky this time around.

• Like 1