Hudds Chairman: ‘Carlos cost SWFC the Premier League’

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Dean Hoyle, the chairman of Huddersfield when we played them in the playoff semi-final says he thinks Carlos cost Sheffield Wednesday promotion to the Premier League

“Sheffield Wednesday, what a tough day that was, especially when Fletcher scored. Hillsborough was absolutely rocking.

“We scored the equaliser through Nahki Wells. I actually think in that game, the Sheffield Wednesday manager lost them that game.

“He came to the John Smith’s, and he went for a nil-nil draw, and he shouldn’t have because we were at our most fragile at home with the way we attacked. That’s my view.

“I think he missed an opportunity. I think if he’d gone for us at Huddersfield, they probably had better players than us at the time with Forestieri, Fletcher, Bannan, some great players, I think they probably would’ve beaten us in that semi-final.

“But it was risk averse, and it back-fired, and I still believe that. And then we went on to Wembley, which just all came together.”

Just sum's up the clown

My beef with Carlos wasnt so much the first game as not going for their throat from the 1st minute at Hillsborough.

As Izzy Brown has said recently they were in awe in the tunnel.

But no, it was all about tactics for Carlos. We wouldhave overwhelmed them if we had just gone for it. The crowd  was at full tilt. Very few teams can stand it when Hillsborough gets going never mind fekkin Huddersfield. 

Edited by Nero

Of all the mitigating reasons and excuses that flowed from both the team and the management after that defeat the one that irritated me the most was “I don’t know why but we just didn’t turn up on the day/night “

We did the double over both Newcastle and Huddersfield during the season but at the most important, most pivotal time we decided “ not to turn up”

It says a lot about the players mentality... some of whom are still here ... bottling it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Dean Hoyle, the chairman of Huddersfield when we played them in the playoff semi-final says he thinks Carlos cost Sheffield Wednesday promotion to the Premier League

“Sheffield Wednesday, what a tough day that was, especially when Fletcher scored. Hillsborough was absolutely rocking.

“We scored the equaliser through Nahki Wells. I actually think in that game, the Sheffield Wednesday manager lost them that game.

“He came to the John Smith’s, and he went for a nil-nil draw, and he shouldn’t have because we were at our most fragile at home with the way we attacked. That’s my view.

“I think he missed an opportunity. I think if he’d gone for us at Huddersfield, they probably had better players than us at the time with Forestieri, Fletcher, Bannan, some great players, I think they probably would’ve beaten us in that semi-final.

“But it was risk averse, and it back-fired, and I still believe that. And then we went on to Wembley, which just all came together.”

That game at theirs was an utter embarrassment.  I would have sacked him on the spot for crimes against football.

• Like 2

Guest Mcguigan
1 hour ago, T Hardy said:

What? We did need a massive overhaul at that time if we were going to push on and remain competitive near the top. Look whats happened now we didn’t rebuild. 

Read his post again. He said 16/17 was the year we proper failed and that our failure to add the 2/3 players, needed to improve the squad, was part of the blame for it.

How many more bloomin players did we need? That squad was ridiculous for quality. We had 13 midfielders for 4 positions and 7 strikers for 2 positions. Most of our strike force would of walked into most Championship top half teams.

Guest T Hardy
1 hour ago, Mcguigan said:

Read his post again. He said 16/17 was the year we proper failed and that our failure to add the 2/3 players, needed to improve the squad, was part of the blame for it.

How many more bloomin players did we need? That squad was ridiculous for quality. We had 13 midfielders for 4 positions and 7 strikers for 2 positions. Most of our strike force would of walked into most Championship top half teams.

But we had no pace, this was never addressed. and we all knew we couldn’t rely on Hutch to stay fit to be that presence in midfield, to stay competitive we needed to improve more and we didn’t. 

Huddersfield were media darlings that year, the press were loving Wagner and his pressing game.

We nullified them in both league games by playing as narrow as possible & forcing them to go wide with the ball meaning Mooys influence was limited.

It worked a dream & Carlos did the same in Play Offs.

Despite our injuries & the dull nature of the games it worked for the most part.

BUT then Wagner brought that Quaner guy on to play on the right wing (he was a striker rather than a winger & I think it was an injury replacement sub rather than a tactical masterstroke)

Because of our set up their wide men got a lot of the ball.

Quaner then had Pudil on toast, leading to their equaliser.

Such a shame.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

We were all in agreement at the time what the Hudds man is saying now.

Non story

The thing is, we almost never went for it against the top teams under Carlos. Here are our results against the other teams who finished in the top in our two play-off seasons, home games first:

2015-2016

Regular season: Burnley: 1-1, 1-3; Middlesbrough: 1-3, 0-1; Brighton: 0-0, 0-0; Hull: 1-1, 0-0; Derby:  0-0, 1-1; Ipswich: 1-1, 1-2

Play-offs: Brighton: 2-0, 1-1; Hull: 0-1

Total: P 15 W 1 D 9 L 5

2016-17

Regular season: Newcastle: 2-1, 1-0; Brighton: 1-2, 1-2; Reading: 0-2, 1-2; Huddersfield: 2-0, 1-0; Fulham: 1-2, 1-1;

Leeds: 0-2, 0-1

Play-offs: Huddersfield: 0-0, 1-1

Total: P 14 W 4 D 3 L 7

Overall total: P 29 W 5 D 12 L 12

Of the 5 games we won, one was against Brighton when they had to play half an hour with 10 men due to injuries, and another was against Huddersfield when they played 20 minutes with 10 men due to a red card.

Edited by Sova
  • Like 3

Sadly it was a big missed opportunity, of which we're still paying the price. Ultimately it wasn't meant to be, both play off seasons I thought it was our time but it's like it was destined not to be.

Carlos' first season, was one of the most enjoyable and exciting in a very long time. The second season was less exciting but still a decent season.

Rather than mistakes in the Huddersfield game and not going for it, the recruitment ever since after Hull and Wembley, was our biggest downfall. Not selling players whilst they had resale value, not bringing in younger players on the rise to freshen things up and not bringing in a stronger spine to the team.

The true cost of the poor recruitment, will be what looks like being years in the lower leagues awaiting us, unless Darren Moore or whoever gets a proper chance to rebuild the squad more sensibly with younger players and bargains. The philosophy of our club and the recruitment has to drastically change for the better or we face many more miserable years. Instead of focusing on what might have during the failed play off campaigns, we need to focus on the future, as it's the future of our famous old club that's at stake and we'd all like to see more exciting days again. 

3 hours ago, Nero said:

My beef with Carlos wasnt so much the first game as not going for their throat from the 1st minute at Hillsborough.

As Izzy Brown has said recently they were in awe in the tunnel.

But no, it was all about tactics for Carlos. We wouldhave overwhelmed them if we had just gone for it. The crowd  was at full tilt. Very few teams can stand it when Hillsborough gets going never mind fekkin Huddersfield. 

Thought we were okayish at Hillsborough..

The big foook up, as their chairman says was at hudds.

Straight after the final whistle at hudds ..many (in our crowd anyway) were saying we could live to regret that approach to a game that meant so much.

i think most knowledgeable swfc supporters have always believed and knew this . we had a completely naive owner(and still have) who trusted carlos with a massive wedge of cash/players to get the job done his tactics cost us in that semi and the big gamble then failed , hence ffp embargos ,massive injury list and so on gave future managers so little . 

Guest Mcguigan
29 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

But we had no pace, this was never addressed. and we all knew we couldn’t rely on Hutch to stay fit to be that presence in midfield, to stay competitive we needed to improve more and we didn’t. 

The season after Wembley, we signed 14 player over both transfer windows, to add to an already top heavy number.

Our wage bill went from £19m to almost £30m. Thats £7m more than we brought in in revenue but because we had no pace and Hutch couldn't stay fit, we should had brought some more players in.

Saddled ourselves with more dross on long contracts, financially crippling the club even more. 

6 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I wholeheartedly agree, and it was the main reason Carlos devised the new way of playing He was on record as saying, he got none of the type of players he wanted, including that defensive midfielder

You mean like Dave Jones? Carlos also looked scouted 200 CBs before signing JVA. Carlos did well to start with but should have gone sooner IMO. 

1 minute ago, Beauchief Owl said:

You mean like Dave Jones? Carlos also looked scouted 200 CBs before signing JVA. Carlos did well to start with but should have gone sooner IMO. 

No, the one he wanted was William Carvalho, along with Lucas Piazon, and a speedy winger from a club in Belgium, who’s name I forget. But he got Dave Jones, Jordan Rhodes and the, less than speedy Adam Reach

Guest T Hardy
58 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

The season after Wembley, we signed 14 player over both transfer windows, to add to an already top heavy number.

Our wage bill went from £19m to almost £30m. Thats £7m more than we brought in in revenue but because we had no pace and Hutch couldn't stay fit, we should had brought some more players in.

Saddled ourselves with more dross on long contracts, financially crippling the club even more. 

I don’t understand the point you’re making. Just because we bought some players in that weren’t what we needed, it doesn’t change we should have brought in what we needed?