The conundrum that is Barry Bannan

The conundrum that is Barry Bannan  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your view, a binary choice!

• He is a key player for the future and DM needs to build his team around him.
    • He’s not the player he once was/might have been, thanks for the memories Bazza but it’s time to go.

Guest The Claw

i think he is a technical player the others need to start thinking about going forward so he can use his ability to open up the other team

A great player for us with a fantastic engine and passion .  If, as I now believe, we will be playing in league 1 next season I think we would be best cashing in, wishing him well and recruiting a couple of younger players with a point to prove 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

He's as gifted a player as he ever was, but until we work out a tactic that doesn't rely on him alone for creativity we'll struggle. In some ways he was better playing out on the left under Carlos, we were less predictable to defend against. 

Always makes me smile when people suggest that 10 of our players are rubbish because they are wasters, stealing a living, bottle merchants who don’t care but our superstar creative genius is rubbish because the other 10 aren’t on his level. If Bannan was as good as some suggest he’d stand out amongst the mediocrity 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

He's as gifted a player as he ever was, but until we work out a tactic that doesn't rely on him alone for creativity we'll struggle. In some ways he was better playing out on the left under Carlos, we were less predictable to defend against. 

God no please don't ever play him on the left he was awful every time I saw him out there . But I do agree if he is going to continue playing for us we need to change our system as we are just too easy to work out when he's in the team

Let him play, without relying on him. His main focus should not be what everyone is doing or isn't doing but his own game. Everyone should take responsibility for their game and not pass to Bannan every time they're are under the cosh. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Cheshowl said:

By far our best player. If we had 10 other players of his quality, fitness record and consistency we’d be nowhere near the mess we find ourselves in.

With 11 Bannan’s we’d concede ten every week. But apart from conceding we’d have 90% possession. He’s our best player at recirculating the ball but defensively he’s a total liability

• Like 3
  • Love 1

39 minutes ago, camffiti said:

Brunt mkII ... His fault the other 10 players are cr* p

Bannan no where near brunts talent 

I'm embarrassed for you that you wrote that 

Brunt has played most of his career in the Premier league, international, country captain 

Bannan's been dumped by 3 Premier league clubs and lost in a playoff final 

Our fans are laughable sometimes

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Wednesday's best player, and it's not particularly close with Westwood showing the mileage a bit.

A better question for those voting for his departure - how on earth do you plan to replace him, his energy, and the spark of creativity he gives the team?

Of all the things that might be wrong with the team, the idea that we need less of the likes of Barry Bannan is a bizarre one.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Always makes me smile when people suggest that 10 of our players are rubbish because they are wasters, stealing a living, bottle merchants who don’t care but our superstar creative genius is rubbish because the other 10 aren’t on his level. If Bannan was as good as some suggest he’d stand out amongst the mediocrity 

He does.  You'd have to be trying hard to miss it.

When my wife decided she was going to start watching games, she immediately picked him out as being without peer out there, and it's not as if she's any kind of a football savant.

No, he's not De Bruyne, and his stature has kept him from PL and made him a destined to be a Championship player. But he's the best we've got by a wide margin, and among the top players in the Championship at the position.

Edited by Indoor Owl
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Indoor Owl said:

He does.  You'd have to be trying hard to miss it.

When my wife decided she was going to start watching games, she immediately picked him out as being without peer out there, and it's not as if she's any kind of a football savant.

No, he's not De Bruyne, and his stature has kept him from PL and made him a destined to be a Championship player. But he's the best we've got by a wide margin, and among the top players in the Championship at the position.

Well, if your wife’s picked him out as a superstar then I stand corrected and will rest assured that I can stop judging attacking midfield players on goals scored, assists and ability to influence the outcome of a game and instead judge them on WAR (Wife Approval Rating) Thanks for clearing that up 

• Haha 3

Plays well when in a team with good players, is all at sea when he is surrounded by bottlers.

Has not scored a goal from open play in over a season.

When compared to other attacking / creative midfielders in our league he is now well down the list. A great player 2 seasons ago, but so was Reach, Lees, Westwood, Hutch.

We start next season in league one hopefully we get a few million for him when he leaves.

• Like 1
  • Love 1