The conundrum that is Barry Bannan

The conundrum that is Barry Bannan  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your view, a binary choice!

• He is a key player for the future and DM needs to build his team around him.
    • He’s not the player he once was/might have been, thanks for the memories Bazza but it’s time to go.

27 minutes ago, Sticky Micky said:

Bannan no where near brunts talent 

I'm embarrassed for you that you wrote that 

Brunt has played most of his career in the Premier league, international, country captain 

Bannan's been dumped by 3 Premier league clubs and lost in a playoff final 

Our fans are laughable sometimes

Your hast for pedantry, has maybe made you miss my point 

I won't laugh at your embarrassment though 

9 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Well, if your wife’s picked him out as a superstar then I stand corrected and will rest assured that I can stop judging attacking midfield players on goals scored, assists and ability to influence the outcome of a game and instead judge them on WAR (Wife Approval Rating) Thanks for clearing that up 

Now, now, no need to be trite.  I was just pointing out an anecdote that he was indeed instantly recognizable out there.

That said, and to further extend the analogy a little bit (as far as WAR goes), I would say don't slag it off too much, because it's about a 50/50 chance that she would be able to correctly identify his position and that he does not play as an attacking midfield player, and he spends most of the time picking up the ball 15 yards from the centrebacks. 

He is always playing way deeper than he needs to be.

I'd love to see Bannan playing further forward as an attacking player, and with the mandate to stay there, but that's not going to happen until there is more help in midfield.

• Like 2

No my view is not a binary choice. Much will depend on the depth of challenge is offered to BB up to mid October next season. Who knows he may have gone by then and you will have gotten your answer. Or Darren Moore may have found or developed a blend that works well for all.

BB has signed a contract and that is credit to him and a generous SWFC Insurance policy in view of ship jumpers who are still in nappies and still nibbling on Farley's Rusks.

In summary not voted for either option but I will have a more defined idea by the time the Guy goes on the fire !      

1 hour ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Always makes me smile when people suggest that 10 of our players are rubbish because they are wasters, stealing a living, bottle merchants who don’t care but our superstar creative genius is rubbish because the other 10 aren’t on his level. If Bannan was as good as some suggest he’d stand out amongst the mediocrity 

And how does any of that relate to what I said? I don't think it's particularly controversial to say that Bannan is a gifted footballer (not a "superstar creative genius") and that tactically we're too reliant on him - I said nothing about whether our other players are any good or indeed care. 

7 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

With 11 Bannan’s we’d concede ten every week. But apart from conceding we’d have 90% possession. He’s our best player at recirculating the ball but defensively he’s a total liability

After watching some of the Six Nations it occurred to me that Bannan is actually a number 10. Just it’s a rugby position not football. The number 10/outside half has so many traits that we Barry has: 

- Source of most of teams creativity 

- Takes all the set pieces 

- Passes flat/sideways

- Kicks ball into touch 

- Smaller than most of teammates/opposition

- Often targeted as defensive week link 

• Love 1

7 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

No my view is not a binary choice. Much will depend on the depth of challenge is offered to BB up to mid October next season. Who knows he may have gone by then and you will have gotten your answer. Or Darren Moore may have found or developed a blend that works well for all.

BB has signed a contract and that is credit to him and a generous SWFC Insurance policy in view of ship jumpers who are still in nappies and still nibbling on Farley's Rusks.

In summary not voted for either option but I will have a more defined idea by the time the Guy goes on the fire !      

Burnings a bit harsh don't you think😁. Might be better sticking to the old  witch trial method of drowning 

My personal opinion is that if you understand football, Bannan’s quality and importance is undeniable.

Those same fans who don’t appreciate Bannan, wanted shut of Atdhe too. Unbelievable.

I’d have them both in a top 6 championship side- never mind the fact we are literally on the brink of League One.

I think we are too one dimensional when he plays.

We were much better when he had another "crative" player alongside him, so either could set attacks in motion.

Here's a thought - what if Bannan signed the contract to protect the club from him leaving for free.

Has he done similar to what Eze / Bellingham did with their respective former clubs ?

Time will tell..

45 minutes ago, Hedwig said:

I think we are too one dimensional when he plays.

We were much better when he had another "crative" player alongside him, so either could set attacks in motion.

Here's a thought - what if Bannan signed the contract to protect the club from him leaving for free.

Has he done similar to what Eze / Bellingham did with their respective former clubs ?

Time will tell..

But if a difference. Eze and Bellingham were young lads who will still improve and were worth multi millions, Eze in particular had just had a fantastic season. 

Bannan is in his 30s, in a high wage and from a transfer value point of view pretty much worthless.

• Like 1