The conundrum that is Barry Bannan

The conundrum that is Barry Bannan  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your view, a binary choice!

• He is a key player for the future and DM needs to build his team around him.
    • He’s not the player he once was/might have been, thanks for the memories Bazza but it’s time to go.

1 minute ago, 83owl said:

But if a difference. Eze and Bellingham were young lads who will still improve and were worth multi millions, Eze in particular had just had a fantastic season. 

Bannan is in his 30s, in a high wage and from a transfer value point of view pretty much worthless.

Get your point but it's the principle of it for me..

How many times have you heard pundits/commentators waxing lyrical about Bannan being one of the best players in the Championship...
Other Managers saying they wish they had him in their team..

Not saying we'd get multi-millions for Bannan, but maybe £750k-£1m  - anything is better than nothing..

He's been a great player for us.  However, I'd guess with the speed his contract was sorted (to negate the Shaw news) there will be a relegation release clause in there and he'll be sold in the summer for £500k-£1m.

We can't afford his wages in league one, but at least him extending means we'll get something for him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Needs someone along side him to do the donkey work.

We've had no one that could do properly it since Lee was crocked.

We need someone to step up and be Palmer to Bannan's Sheridan.

That was hardly ever the case, when Lee was in his prime we played a 4-4-2 with Lee & hutch as our preferred central midfield becouse even with Carlos failings he knew bazza is not a complete enough player at cm. Hence if Lee and hutch were fit bazza played wide left or right. He only played cm when one of the other 2 were out. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

That was hardly ever the case, when Lee was in his prime we played a 4-4-2 with Lee & hutch as our preferred central midfield becouse even with Carlos failings he knew bazza is not a complete enough player at cm. Hence if Lee and hutch were fit bazza played wide left or right. He only played cm when one of the other 2 were out. 

For me Bannan brings a lot to the team but playing him in the middle means we also lose a lot. When we have the ball he is great but when we don't we just don't have the physicality to tackle and win the ball back. If we played with wide midfielders rather than wingers the wide left midfield position would be best for him. That lack of physicality will be more pronounced in the pub league.

Like a lot of our players we don't get the best out of him.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Hedwig said:

Get your point but it's the principle of it for me..

How many times have you heard pundits/commentators waxing lyrical about Bannan being one of the best players in the Championship...
Other Managers saying they wish they had him in their team..

Not saying we'd get multi-millions for Bannan, but maybe £750k-£1m  - anything is better than nothing..

Yes anything is better than nothing, hopefully that’s the case as there’s no way we can sustain a 20k a week midfielder in L1, not to mention trying to bring new young players in on low wages with them knowing he’s on 5-6 times their salary.

I don’t take much notice of pundits and managers pre and post game, it’s the same sound bites week in week out. Pundits aren’t watching us every week so will pick him out every time as he’s the most recognisable name. They are also paid to hype up games to gain interest, we play qpr in a few weeks if a pundit was really honest they would say it’s a game between two teams, one has absolutely nothing to play for and the other has put up as much fight as a newborn kitten in the relegation fight, instead they will label it as a “relegation decider” or a “Blue and white derby” or some other rubbish.

Managers are always complimentary about other teams and their players, make no mistake opposing managers will make sure their teams are fully aware of Bannans weaknesses in the week leading up to the games against us.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Without any doubt Bannan is a class player. Playmaker in a team not set to play passing football. 

It's been frustrating for both us and him to watch him try to make us tick in a side that doesn't play possession based football. 

Now we have manager who sets his teams to keep the ball and I hope it will see Bannan back to his best.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

With 11 Bannan’s we’d concede ten every week. But apart from conceding we’d have 90% possession. He’s our best player at recirculating the ball but defensively he’s a total liability

Absolutely. He’s not a defender, hence why I said “of Bannan’s quality” 

Two assists from open play all season. One assist from a free kick and one assist from a corner (he takes 90% of these). Two goals, both penalties. You have to ask yourself does this compensate for the fact we get steamrolled by other teams when we accomodate him in central midfield. Is he doing enough? I think the answer is quite obvious but some just can't see it , would rather blame every other player.

• Like 4
  • Love 3

12 hours ago, prowl said:

For me Bannan brings a lot to the team but playing him in the middle means we also lose a lot. When we have the ball he is great but when we don't we just don't have the physicality to tackle and win the ball back. If we played with wide midfielders rather than wingers the wide left midfield position would be best for him. That lack of physicality will be more pronounced in the pub league.

Like a lot of our players we don't get the best out of him.

Exactly bud. He's just not good enough as a central midfielder due to his lack of height, physicality defencive or attacking effectiveness. Its one of the reasons we very often lose the midfield battle to control the game. Hence having to go backwards, sideways oe attempting Hollywood balls. It for me is the main reason successive managers have played one up top and pack the midfeid formations to accommodate bazza playing centrally. 

We néed to play a formation that suits the team as a whole rather than over compensating to allow bazza to play centrally. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I just can't help but feel that he's wasted with us now. 

He's got bags of ability and can do things that most of our players can't do. In saying that, I don't think he has the ability to drag and inspire this current lot to anything more than the rubbish they (plus him) are producing. 

I'm sure there would be plenty of Championship clubs who would happily take him off us and he would likely excel with them. 

Here, it's like watching this orchestra conductor trying to play with a bunch of idiots smashing pots and pans together. 

He's our best player.

He won't be here next season, the new deal was to take the pressure of DC RE Shaw going to Celtic.

I'm certain there will be a gentleman's agreement to do everything to get him a decent move in the summer and I don't blame him, if I was him I'd have tried to move on in January.

Barry Bannan owes Sheffield Wednesday nothing.

(I do agree with level has dropped in recent weeks, probably because he's realised it's over and come the summer he'll have a new badge on his chest and a fanbase that won't sing his name straight away)