The conundrum that is Barry Bannan

The conundrum that is Barry Bannan  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your view, a binary choice!

• He is a key player for the future and DM needs to build his team around him.
    • He’s not the player he once was/might have been, thanks for the memories Bazza but it’s time to go.

He's like that player that you had at school that was clearly better than all the others and because of that feels like he has to do everything. The fact is that you then become a detriment to the team. 

You look at some of the best strikers. You might moan at them for not tracking back, but they're always in the right position to score the goals. 

Barry Bannan doesn't need to come short to the defence to pick up the ball. They're quite capable of trying to pull off a worldy pass that 9/10 doesn't happen, just the same as him. So don't do it. Take your position up in the attacking third and receive the ball there when in position. All you get is a gulf between midfield and the attackers which just lends itself to the opposition. So easy to defend against. 

The two passes for the Norwich goals, they're the types of passes that Barry Bannan needs to be making. Not 60 yard passes from RCB to Harris pedalling down the wing. I'm sorry but the ships sailed for me on this one. 

Can't fault his work rate and ethic but lets get some money for him whilst we can. 

EDIT: On the other hand... how will he fare in L1? 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Geedee said:

I am not resigned to anything. 

But I go back to my point. If someone is a better player than Barry he is at least good enough for most second division teams. Why would you join a third division  team other than for a big contract.

Why did Brunt and Whelan join us? That type of player and they are out there were far better players than Bannan. They would also be on a fraction of Bannans wages. How is it that the likes of Barnsley have managed to go out and find better players than Bannan again on lesser wages? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Mowatt at Barnsley, Vaulkes and Rails at Cardiff, Wing, Barlsser and Crooks and Rotherham, Browne and Ledson at Preston.... do I need to go on? 

Don't think any of them is as good as Bannan and I'm certain all of them would struggle if they start our next game. 

And at least Brown is supposed to be on more than Bannan is, or he will be when he signs his next contract. 

If Moore is alowed to build himself "cultured team" for next season, than Bannan will likely be our key player. If not, than it would make more sense to let him leave. 

4 minutes ago, malek said:

Don't think any of them is as good as Bannan and I'm certain all of them would struggle if they start our next game. 

And at least Brown is supposed to be on more than Bannan is, or he will be when he signs his next contract. 

If Moore is alowed to build himself "cultured team" for next season, than Bannan will likely be our key player. If not, than it would make more sense to let him leave. 

They are far better than Bannan and have much more to their game.

8 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Why did Brunt and Whelan join us? That type of player and they are out there were far better players than Bannan. They would also be on a fraction of Bannans wages. How is it that the likes of Barnsley have managed to go out and find better players than Bannan again on lesser wages? 

They joined us as they were released by their "parents clubs". 

Very rarely we tried to gamble on such players after Turner left. 

I myself many times mentioned Matt O'Riley on here who since signed on free for MK Dons and did brilliantly well there. 

Another very talented young playmaker Callum Slattery did well on loan at Gillingham, but got injured since and had an operation. Better than what we have and possible available on free transfer or for small fee. 

• Like 1

Just now, malek said:

They joined us as they were released by their "parents clubs". 

Very rarely we tried to gamble on such players after Turner left. 

I myself many times mentioned Matt O'Riley on here who since signed on free for MK Dons and did brilliantly well there. 

Another very talented young playmaker Callum Slattery did well on loan at Gillingham, but got injured since and had an operation. Better than what we have and possible available on free transfer or for small fee. 

It goes to show those players are out there and the likes of Coventry and Peterborough have found them and Barnsley have shown good recruitment can be done on a budget. 

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, malek said:

Guess it’s a game of opinions. I personally think all are better, well rounded players that would make us a better team. Most have better stats this season too, the salary part I’m guessing mind. 

I’m not saying I’d be pursuing any of these for league one. Merely other teams find better central midfielders that cost less. I’d be hopeful we could find some younger, lesser paid options in league one.

I really do hope you’re wrong, that we build a team around him. He’s not getting any younger or better. I’d rather us go after a player that a season down the line is ready for championship football rather than ready for retirement. 

1 hour ago, BIG D said:

You were naming our better players than Bannan. So far we have a kid with a handful of appearances, 1 goal, 1 assist against Exeter, 2 red cards and who won’t even be here next season and a central defender who has played about 10 games this season. We have bigger problems than Barry Bannan. 

But you cling to Bazza with a magnificent 4 assists all season despite playing in all of the games. Just think if he could get a set piece past the first defender he might get a few more. I wonder if he stays behind after training to work on his set pieces or maybe he is one of the first out of the car park. We aint getting value for money with Bannan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

Guess it’s a game of opinions. I personally think all are better, well rounded players that would make us a better team. Most have better stats this season too, the salary part I’m guessing mind. 

I’m not saying I’d be pursuing any of these for league one. Merely other teams find better central midfielders that cost less. I’d be hopeful we could find some younger, lesser paid options in league one.

I really do hope you’re wrong, that we build a team around him. He’s not getting any younger or better. I’d rather us go after a player that a season down the line is ready for championship football rather than ready for retirement. 

I Completely agree. 

Last season among others I mentioned on here was Dan Barlaser who was available on free transfer after doing really well to get Rotherham promote. It is mind blowing that we are not looking at players of such profile. 

It would be typical Wednesday to try and sign him now that he is under contract and getting other Championship clubs interested. 

And yes, there are many talented players available on free transfers and for nominal fees yet we rarely seem to be interested. 

Typical Wednesday signing seems to be average Championship player on High wages who had one really good season 3 or 4 years ago. 

Our refusal to gamble on youth players and those proven at lower level means that we will very rarely make any profit on our players. 

• Love 1

48 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

It goes to show those players are out there and the likes of Coventry and Peterborough have found them and Barnsley have shown good recruitment can be done on a budget. 

Yeah but you’re all arrogant cünts who think you should be better then Leicester, if tuna boy tried to do what we’re doing you’d go mental.” Weh Wensdeh weh should beh spending millions da noz.” 

2 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

But you cling to Bazza with a magnificent 4 assists all season despite playing in all of the games. Just think if he could get a set piece past the first defender he might get a few more. I wonder if he stays behind after training to work on his set pieces or maybe he is one of the first out of the car park. We aint getting value for money with Bannan.

So Shaw and Iorfa then. Who else?

With Reach a passenger at the moment, I would move BB to attacking left midfield. He would be less likely to try the  Hollywood balls from there and his lack of a physical presence would not be such a big issue.

Try 2 box to box midfielders in central midfield, so you would have to go with Shaw and Paterson central midfield with Harris wide right and Rhodes and Windass up top.

Then again we could continue as we are and go down like a dud firework on bonfire night.

Guest LondonOwl313
5 hours ago, Philb125 said:

But can’t the problems run parallel or even be interlinked?

We HAVE to play 3 at back / 3 in the middle to accommodate Bannan. Whether we have other good players for that system is irrelevant as to make sure we get the best out of Bannan (I’m struggling to remember his best) we have to play that way. 

We are in financial peril and struggle to pay for better players. Now this isn’t just Bannan’s fault. But he is systematic of the problem. Paying our ‘stars’ 20k plus a week means we have a very unbalanced squad. Both positionally and financially. 

If Bannan wasn’t played centermid, I believe we’d have a more combative central midfield allowing our wide players to focus on attacking rather than defending. The sacrifice we make for his creativity in my opinion is outweighing right now the rewards we gain. 

Yesterdays second half performance from him, he’s a shadow of what he can be. Either shattered, burnt out mentally, given up the fight? But literally any of our bench could have equalled or bettered his contribution. 

So to answe your question, players better than Bannan when we build the team to accommodate him are few. Players potentially better than him if we build a TEAM in my opinion include Reach, Lees, Rhodes, Iorfa, Luongo

Out of those you want to build a team around though, probably only maybe Lees will be here and available to do that. Reach is very clearly leaving, it's obvious from his body language and complete lack of effort. As if Rhodes would consider staying when his career has fallen apart here and other rubbish players have been given the shirt ahead of him by multiple managers. Iorfa is too good for League 1 and someone will bid for him/agent will force a move. And Luongo is a crock.

5 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Use of data and decent scouting.....

42 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Out of those you want to build a team around though, probably only maybe Lees will be here and available to do that. Reach is very clearly leaving, it's obvious from his body language and complete lack of effort. As if Rhodes would consider staying when his career has fallen apart here and other rubbish players have been given the shirt ahead of him by multiple managers. Iorfa is too good for League 1 and someone will bid for him/agent will force a move. And Luongo is a crock.

Id happily bin them all. I think for too long we’ve clung onto those that are here as future saviours despite past failings. 

7 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Whose better than who is obviously a matter of opinion but please answer How do you know what wages the Barnsley players are on?

4 minutes ago, Geedee said:

Fair enough I have never seen that before, I think I would be pretty annoyed if my salary was published for the public to comment on.

Its quite an interesting read to look at the other clubs wage structures on there. Norwich seem to have been very prudent with a wage bill close to ours whilst still taking their parachute payments.

2 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Its quite an interesting read to look at the other clubs wage structures on there. Norwich seem to have been very prudent with a wage bill close to ours whilst still taking their parachute payments.

I do wonder how accurate it is as I would imagine quite a lot of players salaries have a major 'bonus' elelment.