The conundrum that is Barry Bannan

The conundrum that is Barry Bannan  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your view, a binary choice!

• He is a key player for the future and DM needs to build his team around him.
    • He’s not the player he once was/might have been, thanks for the memories Bazza but it’s time to go.

13 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

He’s not even that good.. he’s played 17 games for us, in 2 of those he got himself sent off and put us under pressure with one of them costing us the game against a key relegation rival. He’s also been anonymous in about half of the other games.. stood out in a handful.

He doesn’t have that much quality on the ball he’s just got a good frame and is a decent athlete, he’s not the next Steven Gerrard. It’s not even clear he’ll make it at a decent level yet, it wouldn’t be the first time.

Bannan has been a top championship player for about 5 years so can’t compare. That said I think they all need to go including Bannan for us to be able to move on and rebuild 

Bannan has played far more than 17 games for us and I can't remember him getting sent off this season but I would say he has been anonymous in more than half the games.

3 hours ago, BIG D said:

I know he has Paterson, Harris and Windass to play to. I just don’t understand how he’s not as good as when he had Forestieri, Hooper, Wallace and Keiran Lee.

Do you actually watch him play?

He constantly passes into touch , fails to beat the defenders with his passes which are usually short, can’t get a corner or free kick past the first man, ball watches like a seven year old while letting runners get in , which cost us again today. We get constantly over run in midfield and it’s everyone’s fault bar Bazzas. Wake up 

• Like 4

Bannan has been a good player for us and has shown loyalty signing a new contract. But his best days are behind him and he is too good of a player to play in league one. 

He should bring us in some money in the summer or help us bring in a player or two on loan. 

6 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Bannan has been a good player for us and has shown loyalty signing a new contract. But his best days are behind him and he is too good of a player to play in league one. 

He should bring us in some money in the summer or help us bring in a player or two on loan. 

He's not shown us loyalty. 

It's a business move. Nothing more.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Iorfa but just think we could try and scout a better player like other teams have for a lot less money than Bannan is on. Or do we have stick with Bannan for eternity?

Why on earth would a better player than Bannan come to wednesday to play third division football for less money than we pay Bannan. 

15 minutes ago, Geedee said:

Why on earth would a better player than Bannan come to wednesday to play third division football for less money than we pay Bannan. 

This might come as a shock to you but there are far better players out there than Bannan that wouldn't demand the same wages as Bannan. We just need our scouting system to find them. Other teams have continued to unearth these gems which has seen them sell them on for vast profits. You seem to be resigned with this mindset that we will never find anyone better than Bannan. We've done it before so why can't we do it again?

• Like 1
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Iorfa but just think we could try and scout a better player like other teams have for a lot less money than Bannan is on. Or do we have stick with Bannan for eternity?

The year is 2025, we’re about to begin our Conference North promotion attempt. Newly appointed manager, Nicky Weaver says he expects a tough season but with his experienced central midfield partnership of Bannan (36) and Hutchinson (35) he expects to have the bite and creativity to take the league by storm....

Why do we cling onto the past so much here? We have to unearth the next Bannan, Westwood, Lees, Lee, Forrestieri, Hutchinson.... we were great at signing undervalued players with points to prove. But once they’ve proved it, sell them on at high profits and reinvest. Don’t double their salaries and play them until they retire!!! 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

37 minutes ago, Geedee said:

Almost every team in this division has a central midfielder I would swap Bannan for. Most of those players earn less than Bannan I’d have thought. So that means, there are better players than him, earning less than him.

Now next part is more of a struggle; how do we convince players that were a better option than Luton, Rotherham, Coventry, Barnsley..... I think you start by having a balanced, competitive squad rather than diminutive show ponies earning 2-3 times more than the players they play alongside.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

The year is 2025, we’re about to begin our Conference North promotion attempt. Newly appointed manager, Nicky Weaver says he expects a tough season but with his experienced central midfield partnership of Bannan (36) and Hutchinson (35) he expects to have the bite and creativity to take the league by storm....

Why do we cling onto the past so much here? We have to unearth the next Bannan, Westwood, Lees, Lee, Forrestieri, Hutchinson.... we were great at signing undervalued players with points to prove. But once they’ve proved it, sell them on at high profits and reinvest. Don’t double their salaries and play them until they retire!!! 

If only they had been playing with better players in league one and two we wouldn't have found ourselves in the Conference?

You were naming our better players than Bannan. So far we have a kid with a handful of appearances, 1 goal, 1 assist against Exeter, 2 red cards and who won’t even be here next season and a central defender who has played about 10 games this season. We have bigger problems than Barry Bannan. 

1 hour ago, Ronnie Starling said:

This might come as a shock to you but there are far better players out there than Bannan that wouldn't demand the same wages as Bannan. We just need our scouting system to find them. Other teams have continued to unearth these gems which has seen them sell them on for vast profits. You seem to be resigned with this mindset that we will never find anyone better than Bannan. We've done it before so why can't we do it again?

I am not resigned to anything. 

But I go back to my point. If someone is a better player than Barry he is at least good enough for most second division teams. Why would you join a third division  team other than for a big contract.

39 minutes ago, BIG D said:

You were naming our better players than Bannan. So far we have a kid with a handful of appearances, 1 goal, 1 assist against Exeter, 2 red cards and who won’t even be here next season and a central defender who has played about 10 games this season. We have bigger problems than Barry Bannan. 

But can’t the problems run parallel or even be interlinked?

We HAVE to play 3 at back / 3 in the middle to accommodate Bannan. Whether we have other good players for that system is irrelevant as to make sure we get the best out of Bannan (I’m struggling to remember his best) we have to play that way. 

We are in financial peril and struggle to pay for better players. Now this isn’t just Bannan’s fault. But he is systematic of the problem. Paying our ‘stars’ 20k plus a week means we have a very unbalanced squad. Both positionally and financially. 

If Bannan wasn’t played centermid, I believe we’d have a more combative central midfield allowing our wide players to focus on attacking rather than defending. The sacrifice we make for his creativity in my opinion is outweighing right now the rewards we gain. 

Yesterdays second half performance from him, he’s a shadow of what he can be. Either shattered, burnt out mentally, given up the fight? But literally any of our bench could have equalled or bettered his contribution. 

So to answe your question, players better than Bannan when we build the team to accommodate him are few. Players potentially better than him if we build a TEAM in my opinion include Reach, Lees, Rhodes, Iorfa, Luongo

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Almost every team in this division has a central midfielder I would swap Bannan for. Most of those players earn less than Bannan I’d have thought. So that means, there are better players than him, earning less than him.

Now next part is more of a struggle; how do we convince players that were a better option than Luton, Rotherham, Coventry, Barnsley..... I think you start by having a balanced, competitive squad rather than diminutive show ponies earning 2-3 times more than the players they play alongside.

Please name the better players that are on more money.

1 minute ago, Philb125 said:

You mean better players that are on less money?? 

2 minutes ago, Geedee said:

Please name the better players that are on more money.

Mowatt at Barnsley, Vaulkes and Rails at Cardiff, Wing, Barlsser and Crooks and Rotherham, Browne and Ledson at Preston.... do I need to go on? 

• Like 1

Love him or not, and I'm coming round to the idea that it might be time for him to move on, one thing you can't accuse him of is shirking or not giving 100% every time he steps onto the field. Many members of our side could learn a lot from that. 

It's not always channelled correctly but nevertheless. There's far too many shirkers, although yesterday was far better. Simply beaten by a bett side.