Darren Moore

21 hours ago, prowl said:

What do you expect him to say?  He's got to try boosting their confidence so he waffles on about something or other because he's got to do interviews. If it was in a window he's be trying to shift some of them but he can't he's stuck with them.

Give him a chance, he might work out ok if he can get DC to let him bring in players rather than DC and his advisers. If DC won't  give up control there isn't a manager in Europe who could succeed here.

Moore isn't the problem.

I expect him to explain why he is getting the team to play a different way in a different system,  when the players were looking for someone to stabilise the situation and encourage them in what they were doing already.

Tell us why he thinks Windass on the left was justified after his two goals at Luton. Tell us why learning to play out from the back in a crisis is a good idea when safety first is required.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

A little insight from myself, first I think I should give a little background. I was born & bred in Donny and I am a Rovers supporter, however my Dad & Step mum moved to Sheffield in the Early 80's as my dad opened a small business in the city. They both started going to Wednesday matches and have been season ticket holders for over 30 years and my dad is the Chairman of the wise old Owls and my step mu supported him in this role until her recent passing. So I do have a soft spot for Wednesday and was even at the Wembley matches (Semi final and finals) in the early 80's with my dad & step mum. 

So, Darren Moore. Yes he is a very good manager, if the way he plays is working against the opposition. One thing that became more obvious over time is there seemed to be little there in terms of a plan B and he was very reluctant to change things, even if it was needed. My biggest gripe however was how he tried to put square pegs in round holes and play players out of position in order to accommodate "his favourites". There were times this season when he played centre half's in both full back positions with our best left back in a holding midfield role alongside Ben Whiteman (before he joined Preston) and our right full back on the wing. Speaking of Whiteman, he was better suited in a more advanced midfield role as he was our best creator alongside James Coppinger who he wouldn't play at all as it would mean one of "his" players would be left out, even if it means we were poorer for it. All of these things came to a head in the 5 matches before he left where we lost every game and the wheels were well and truly coming off. Since his departure some of "His" players/signings have been on the bench or haven't even been in the squad, Coppinger is back in the side and we look a completely different team.

Was I sad to see him go? To be honest I was gutted, even during the bad run we were on there was always hope that maybe we could turn it around as we were still in the play off spots. Not only this but who could we fetch in to replace him this late on in the season?

The thing that confuses me the most though is why it was left this late in the season when apparently talks first took place in January? I think it would have been far better for all parties for him to go then because not only would it have meant we may have avoided 5 losses on the bounce but that also he may have been able to strengthen your team and have more time to implement his style of play with your players and have a better chance to keep you up. If you do go down however i do think he is the ideal man to take you straight back up, if given the opportunity. 

Good luck for the rest of the season 

Edited by DonnyJon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

On 07/03/2021 at 11:52, CourteenerOwl said:

It’s been two games but he concerns me. Ignore the chairman and all of that and just focus on his game management and tactics.

Thompson is the only manager to get a tune out of this team. He did that by playing two upfront. 

Moore has reverted back to one upfront and we now look like the toothless side we did under Monk and Pulis. 

Whenever this side has won games it’s been with two upfront.

I fear like Pulis he will just keep playing same tactics and perhaps have just as poor a record.

Ready for the pelters, just my opinion. Not been impressed so far at all.

He has made the situation worse and those who say he is preparing for next season miss the point of the club seeking a bounce from a new manager

• Like 3

1 hour ago, parajack said:

People  still blaming GM?  unreal.....have a look at those given squad numbers this Year,than come back and tell me how many were signed under GM regime..........

Dunkley, Brown, Paterson, Windass, Marriott, Kachunga and FDB. All stellar signings by Monk the Magnificent. This relegations on him Jack. No proper target man, no recognised left-back and his best decision of all to go with Ernie and Bert as first choice keepers. By all means stick up for him, you’re loyalty towards him is very commendable but to me he’ll always be a clueless, incompetent, arrogant tw@t who should have never ever been near this job in the first place?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I hope we hang onto DM and give him some time. The issue isn't for me that DC is trigger happy with manager's, the issue is more his vanity, if someone has to take the blame for us going down it won't be DC.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Anus said:

I hope we hang onto DM and give him some time. The issue isn't for me that DC is trigger happy with manager's, the issue is more his vanity, if someone has to take the blame for us going down it won't be DC.

I think Chansiri likes Moore, certainly more than Jos, Bruce or Monk and couldn't even to be bothered to learn Pulis first name. 

I think he's here for next season at least. A good thing IMO

38 minutes ago, victorturner said:

I expect him to explain why he is getting the team to play a different way in a different system,  when the players were looking for someone to stabilise the situation and encourage them in what they were doing already.

Tell us why he thinks Windass on the left was justified after his two goals at Luton. Tell us why learning to play out from the back in a crisis is a good idea when safety first is required.  

Well the existing system is what got us here. I'm not saying I would go with Moore's system either but he's in charge.  I wouldn't have dropped Reach although he's been very poor recently so I can understand why the boss might want to.

As for playing out from the back, that's ok so long as they promise never to pass to Tom Lees. We don't really get much out of long kicks with our outfield players so it's 6 of one and a half dozen of the other.

To be fair to DM he's been given an impossible task in trying to keep us up. The players seem to run this club not the manager, as they've shown they aren't interested and won't fight we are down already. DM might as well have a look at what he's got and decide if he wants to keep any of them for next year. That's why I'll cut him some slack.

1 hour ago, DonnyJon said:

A little insight from myself, first I think I should give a little background. I was born & bred in Donny and I am a Rovers supporter, however my Dad & Step mum moved to Sheffield in the Early 80's as my dad opened a small business in the city. They both started going to Wednesday matches and have been season ticket holders for over 30 years and my dad is the Chairman of the wise old Owls and my step mu supported him in this role until her recent passing. So I do have a soft spot for Wednesday and was even at the Wembley matches (Semi final and finals) in the early 80's with my dad & step mum. 

So, Darren Moore. Yes he is a very good manager, if the way he plays is working against the opposition. One thing that became more obvious over time is there seemed to be little there in terms of a plan B and he was very reluctant to change things, even if it was needed. My biggest gripe however was how he tried to put square pegs in round holes and play players out of position in order to accommodate "his favourites". There were times this season when he played centre half's in both full back positions with our best left back in a holding midfield role alongside Ben Whiteman (before he joined Preston) and our right full back on the wing. Speaking of Whiteman, he was better suited in a more advanced midfield role as he was our best creator alongside James Coppinger who he wouldn't play at all as it would mean one of "his" players would be left out, even if it means we were poorer for it. All of these things came to a head in the 5 matches before he left where we lost every game and the wheels were well and truly coming off. Since his departure some of "His" players/signings have been on the bench or haven't even been in the squad, Coppinger is back in the side and we look a completely different team.

Was I sad to see him go? To be honest I was gutted, even during the bad run we were on there was always hope that maybe we could turn it around as we were still in the play off spots. Not only this but who could we fetch in to replace him this late on in the season?

The thing that confuses me the most though is why it was left this late in the season when apparently talks first took place in January? I think it would have been far better for all parties for him to go then because not only would it have meant we may have avoided 5 losses on the bounce but that also he may have been able to strengthen your team and have more time to implement his style of play with your players and have a better chance to keep you up. If you do go down however i do think he is the ideal man to take you straight back up, if given the opportunity. 

Thank you for this post Donny.

When he was announced the only single question mark I had about him was that listening to praise or grumble over the season, there was a call nearly every week from one Doncaster fan or another talking about players being played out of position.  Which... when you're winning is often overlooked. Or seen as a bit of tactical genius. But this was a theme many were mentioning as bizarre when results were good. Not just by the end. 

We'll see. I've heard the football can be good. If sometimes a little slow on the tempo?

He talks positively though and if he gets us attacking that'll be a step in the right direction.

Whether that's possible with this shower remains to be seen.

• Like 2

Yes, thank you for your thoughts DonnyJon.

No one likes pinching another club's manager and there was much bitterness when Newcastle and Ashley stole Steve Bruce from us just 3 weeks before the start of the new season.

It has been suggested that Darren Moore's contract was up in the summer.

Is there any truth in that I wonder?

2 hours ago, DonnyJon said:

Cheers mate,and sincere condolences to your family for your loss  WAWAW

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Dunkley, Brown, Paterson, Windass, Marriott, Kachunga and FDB. All stellar signings by Monk the Magnificent. This relegations on him Jack. No proper target man, no recognised left-back and his best decision of all to go with Ernie and Bert as first choice keepers. By all means stick up for him, you’re loyalty towards him is very commendable but to me he’ll always be a clueless, incompetent, arrogant tw@t who should have never ever been near this job in the first place?

Come off it Jim,you really believe that?..how many matchs have  Brown,Dunkley, Marriot,Katchunga & FDB Played this season?  YES they were signed under GM regime,but they were all we could afford,and/or would come.....how many did GM pick when he was here? would be a clue if they really were his players..

As to Windass and Patterson,where would we have been without at least these two??  

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

Thank you for this post Donny.

When he was announced the only single question mark I had about him was that listening to praise or grumble over the season, there was a call nearly every week from one Doncaster fan or another talking about players being played out of position.  Which... when you're winning is often overlooked. Or seen as a bit of tactical genius. But this was a theme many were mentioning as bizarre when results were good. Not just by the end. 

We'll see. I've heard the football can be good. If sometimes a little slow on the tempo?

He talks positively though and if he gets us attacking that'll be a step in the right direction.

Whether that's possible with this shower remains to be seen.

With us he played a 4-2-3-1 formation that was very fluid with the 3 behind the striker all roaming at times. He likes his players to be patient in the build up and when it's working it is lovely to watch but at times we were having 70% possession it matches without creating much, hence the lacking a Plan B. It cried out at times for an injection of pace and a quicker tempo in the final 3rd but it never happened. He does like width, wide men and attacking full backs so expect to see plenty of that happening. I am surprised not to see Adam Reach playing due to him liking good wide players. I can see him eventually playing Bannan in the middle of that supporting 3 in a roaming role. He likes his Striker to be able to hold up play and fetch the 3 midfielders into play, not sure if that's something Rhodes or Windass can do? Maybe Patterson will fill that role?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DonnyJon said:

Really appreciate you taking the trouble.

DM obviously a good manager at DRFC but you say that playing players out of position and not judging players on their merits were two drawbacks in his profile. Sad you lost your manager but sad for us that he has brought those two defects into our failing, fragile  team and imo they are already costing us.

He seems a Plan A or nothing type.

Losing five on the bounce does seem, as you say,  to show that the wheels were coming off  and the five consecutive losses seems to show that DM's success at DRFC was not ongoing.

We already have square pegs in round holes from him,  from the start,  esp Windass!

A team with shattered confidence after the experience at Luton has already been messed about with a new system 4-2-3-1( a sole striker for a team which cannot score goals!)

and playing it out from the back imposed on nervy defenders who have had a difficult season.

If he was already running out of steam at DRFC, I see no reason to think he can bring about such sustained success that he will get us back up. All these are personal opinions and of course I could be wrong.

Walking into an end of season position with a fragile team facing relegation and a key match vs Rotherham definitely needed a different approach.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DonnyJon said:

With us he played a 4-2-3-1 formation that was very fluid with the 3 behind the striker all roaming at times. He likes his players to be patient in the build up and when it's working it is lovely to watch but at times we were having 70% possession it matches without creating much

Ahh, we are used to this. Did a fair bit of it with Carlos and Jos before we went long ball when The Monk arrived.

8 minutes ago, DonnyJon said:

He likes his Striker to be able to hold up play and fetch the 3 midfielders into play, not sure if that's something Rhodes or Windass can do? Maybe Patterson will fill that role?

We have literally no one who can play that role. 

He's going to find that out pretty fast, if he hasn't already!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DonnyJon said:

One thing that became more obvious over time is there seemed to be little there in terms of a plan B and he was very reluctant to change things, even if it was needed. My biggest gripe however was how he tried to put square pegs in round holes and play players out of position in order to accommodate "his favourites".

Wait. Are you describing Carlos, Jos, Bullen, Monk, Pulis, or Thompson?

:duntmatter:

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, parajack said:

People  still blaming GM?  unreal.....have a look at those given squad numbers this Year,than come back and tell me how many were signed under GM regime..........

I cant believe some people are still defending him...    Are you living in a different dimension where GM did enough last season so we had our points deduction last season and then we pressed on at the start of this season and were near the top of the table and GM made some really great signings, making sure we had at least one striker that could score and he didnt leave our best keeper on the sidelines while playing two mediocre keepers?

Sorry my mistake we should have kept the faith with GM and we would be pushing for a playoff place, cause that seemed really likely with his record in 2020.  Let me guess it wasnt his players...  We didnt give him enough support... He didnt have his own players...  The pitch was a bit bobbly...  Hillsborough faces the wrong direction..   Cant possibly be Monks fault....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I really hope Moore is here next season to get us challenging in league one. However surely he has got to win a couple of games this season? Everyone needs it. Unfortunately the early signs look like it could be a struggle to get many points between now and the end of the season, don’t blame Moore for that, it’s these useless half arsed players. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, catdog1121 said:

I cant believe some people are still defending him...    Are you living in a different dimension where GM did enough last season so we had our points deduction last season and then we pressed on at the start of this season and were near the top of the table and GM made some really great signings, making sure we had at least one striker that could score and he didnt leave our best keeper on the sidelines while playing two mediocre keepers?

Sorry my mistake we should have kept the faith with GM and we would be pushing for a playoff place, cause that seemed really likely with his record in 2020.  Let me guess it wasnt his players...  We didnt give him enough support... He didnt have his own players...  The pitch was a bit bobbly...  Hillsborough faces the wrong direction..   Cant possibly be Monks fault....

We finished 16th last season, we won’t get anywhere near that this season.

Our best keeper was frozen out under Monk however he has now been available since the start of November. Since then we have picked up 23 points from 24 games.