Bet365 stops taking bets on Carlos returning in the summer

5 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

I doubt Carlos would be able to do much with this group of players.

One of the reasons we have the disastrous Paxo choosing the players to sign, is because when Carlito came in he didn't know much about players in this country.

If we're relegated things would be even worse - imagine Paxo choosing players to play in the Third.

This is a genuine concern. Carlos is a good coach/manager, and I believe he would improve some of these players, but generally our recruitment has hindered managers, not assisted them. Carlos at least managed to forge something meaningful, in spite of all the rubbish we brought in Despite, during his time here, over 30 players being brought in, he rarely included more than half a dozen of them in his starting line up. A lot call him a yes man, but he generally didn’t play players if they didn’t fit what he wanted to do, no matter how much they cost. That didn’t mean that he was constantly confronting the chairman about it, he just got on with his job.

However, I agree, all along our recruitment has hindered the project, both through recruitment of managers, and playing staff. Relegation would be a disaster, though you could argue that we were already preparing for it, with our recruitment last summer. Poor recruitment is nothing new though, but  Carlos at least showed that it is possible to overcome that. Would he be good if we are relegated to the third? No I don’t think he would, nor any other overseas coach, as it’s a totally different ball game down there, literally That’s why, the decision to hold fire on a new manager, whether by design, or more likely, default, was a sensible one. I would be all for a continental coach, if we are able to maintain our championship status. If we don’t make it, then I think giving a chance to someone like Ryan Lowe, might be a better way forward. He knows the lower leagues, and managing a bigger club in that division, would be a good stepping stone for him We need to get away from this confused thinking though, regarding recruitment

• Like 1

Guest T Hardy
12 hours ago, unkastav said:

Hudders was one of the biggest bottle jobs in our history

So ignorant to the injuries we faced before the game and on the night. Nothing to do with bottling it

First game we should have attacked more, yes

In some ways it makes sense. Perhaps the finances will be set up next season to have a push (provided we are in the championship). Would lessons be learned from his previous tenure such as Carlos having the final say on signings and the fitness program?

He didn’t want Jordan Rhodes and in some ways it started the decline. Time will tell. 

E2B2A98D-A3AD-4179-B7F9-D4068E04E156.gif

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

In some ways it makes sense. Perhaps the finances will be set up next season to have a push (provided we are in the championship). Would lessons be learned from his previous tenure such as Carlos having the final say on signings and the fitness program?

He didn’t want Jordan Rhodes and in some ways it started the decline. Time will tell. 

E2B2A98D-A3AD-4179-B7F9-D4068E04E156.gif

:tango:

5 hours ago, gurujuan said:

This is a genuine concern. Carlos is a good coach/manager, and I believe he would improve some of these players, but generally our recruitment has hindered managers, not assisted them. Carlos at least managed to forge something meaningful, in spite of all the rubbish we brought in Despite, during his time here, over 30 players being brought in, he rarely included more than half a dozen of them in his starting line up. A lot call him a yes man, but he generally didn’t play players if they didn’t fit what he wanted to do, no matter how much they cost. That didn’t mean that he was constantly confronting the chairman about it, he just got on with his job.

However, I agree, all along our recruitment has hindered the project, both through recruitment of managers, and playing staff. Relegation would be a disaster, though you could argue that we were already preparing for it, with our recruitment last summer. Poor recruitment is nothing new though, but  Carlos at least showed that it is possible to overcome that. Would he be good if we are relegated to the third? No I don’t think he would, nor any other overseas coach, as it’s a totally different ball game down there, literally That’s why, the decision to hold fire on a new manager, whether by design, or more likely, default, was a sensible one. I would be all for a continental coach, if we are able to maintain our championship status. If we don’t make it, then I think giving a chance to someone like Ryan Lowe, might be a better way forward. He knows the lower leagues, and managing a bigger club in that division, would be a good stepping stone for him We need to get away from this confused thinking though, regarding recruitment

Spot on.

On 19/02/2021 at 18:56, prowl said:

A valid point but you have to remember we had so many injuries because the players never trained like they do under a normal manager.

His preseasons were a joke, the players weren't fit for the first few games of the season.

Those that love him will always look on the positives, those of us the don't love him can see the negatives. That's why any discussion about Carlos always end up going over old ground. It's all been said before.

If Carlos comes back I will support him despite my deep dismay at the prospect. I don't think he will ever come back unless he is in need of a well paying job as his career winds down.

Never go back is a good saying.

Same here. You have to judge people on what they actually do, don't you, not what they say they will do and definitely not on what other people say they might do! Achievements must have some bearing on whether, or not they can achieve again in the future, however, and Carlos achieved only managed to achieve a relative amount of success with us, which when you consider the relative amount of money spent and where it has ultimately taken us, was a bit of a disaster really. 

I wish we had spent less than half the money we have spent over the past 5 or 6 years and just spent it that money wisely. Throwing cash around on older players, charging fans over the top for watching sub-standard football and not having a clear plan for the future is not going to impress even the most easily impressed of fans for very long is it? Having an owner and set of upper management that are totally out of touch with the world of football and the fans of the football club that they are supposedly looking after is a recipe for disaster and hopefully this will be put right one way or another before too long. Nobody knows quite how this is going to happen, but I think that every fan is hoping that Chansiri will either go away after selling up, or hand over responsibility to somebody that knows what they are doing, without having a hidden agenda that would damage the club. Those old owners must have been saints!

• Love 1