Quick word for Joey Pelupessy

4 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Thing is too, Semedo was EXACTLY the same type of player, yet he's revered as a hero and Joey's taken nothing but pelters since he turned up

This is because Joey in his first couple of seasons hardly made any tackles, he wasn’t aggressive enough, very rarely gave fouls away and was way too nice. Since returning from the first lockdown he’s looked more aggressive, gets stuck in a lot more and fouls the opposition when needed. He’s basically now doing his job and doing it well. 

I think he’s had to adapt his game to become a defensive midfielder, in Holland they have much more time on the ball so was probably more of a box to box midfielder. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Limited player. Struggles in possession, and mainly passes backwards.

But useful for a squad.

Would have Luongo or Shaw ahead of him any day.

He's a holding midfielder, just saying.

It's like saying Dunkley is limited 'cos he does nothing but defend.

Luongo and shaw are more box to box, Pelupessy is in the side for a reason it's sit deep and cover let Bannan etc do the attacking?

14 minutes ago, Travolski said:

Unfortunatly for Joey, his role is to stop runs and hassle attackers off the ball, dirty job but every team needs one. Gives his all and has passion when he plays, think alot of the hate is because folks dont understand the job he dose, long shall it continue.

Yep. They all get it. 

It's that role. Completely misunderstood, completely underappreciated, never appearing on highlights reels.

Remember the Nick Montgomery's of this world. There's a reason they always play under different managers!

• Like 2

Just now, Bluewings said:

He's a holding midfielder, just saying.

It's like saying Dunkley is limited 'cos he does nothing but defend.

Luongo and shaw are more box to box, Pelupessy is in the side for a reason it's sit deep and cover let Bannan etc do the attacking?

Luongo and Shaw can both tackle and defend very effectively, but have much more ability in possession.

Attacks usually fail when the ball gets to Joey because the momentum switches to the opposite direction when he is under minimal pressure.

If we want to be able to be more than a counter attacking side, Joey isn't a good option.

• Like 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Joey has really improved this season but I just don’t think he’ll ever be good enough. He’s nowhere near Luongo’s level but He never ever gives less than 100%.

As all round foot

1 minute ago, Beholder said:

Luongo and Shaw can both tackle and defend very effectively, but have much more ability in possession.

Attacks usually fail when the ball gets to Joey because the momentum switches to the opposite direction when he is under minimal pressure.

If we want to be able to be more than a counter attacking side, Joey isn't a good option.

I agree with this to an extent, but I think especially last night you could see the improvement Joey has made in possession, he moved the ball on much quicker and much more effective he will only improve on this side.

When he first joined he looked like a rabbit in head lights but he's found his feet now, different player.

When we are counter attacking we need someone to sit deep and release the ball quick from his position whilst the team maraud forward which is what he was doing last night, hope he keeps this up.

Obviously Luongo is the better all round footballer.

Shaw is a big prospect I hope he becomes the player he looks like he can be.

35 minutes ago, Bluewings said:

This exactly.

I think half the problem with Joey is people are expecting a box to box midfielder, Joey sits deep and covers doing the dirty work

He's not the best in the league but he always puts a shift in, glad people are noticing.

Last night especially first half was the best I've seen in play.

Pirlopessy.

Yeah great performance first half, think that's why he was subbed he was flat out for 45min

• Like 1

He's a very limited player, and I've been as vocal as any that he shouldn't be anywhere near the team when everyone is fit, but for the first time in the last month I think he's actually had a positive effect on our performances. 

Others need to make the game simple for him (including the manager, which I think he's doing). Don't give him too much to do with the ball. We saw on a couple of occasions last night that when he has to make a difficult pass his pass completion % drops through the floor. He also 'switches off' at times. As an example, against Preston, at one point he actually ended up floating around in a right back position (when we were playing a 3!), playing everyone onside!

He'll never 'boss' a game and he's not going to get much better than he is now, but, like a few others, for now, if he plays at the top of his game he can make a positive contribution this season.

• Like 1

I don't think his technical limitations have ever been a huge issue for me - you know what he is, what he can do, and there is no point fretting about things that just aren't his game.  However I think for a while he had more fundamental issues which were harder to look over that he simply had to address to be a Championship player.  One of his biggest problems was that he had a spell where, almost no matter what, whenever he got the ball his first instinct was always just pass it on to Bannan, whatever the consequences.  I can see what he was trying to do and was probably under instruction; everything we do mostly comes from Bannan.  But you still have to be able to read the game to understand that actually, it may be playing him into trouble, or there are better options etc.  The other issue was he seemed to struggle with positioning for a time, was never quite in the right place and always seemed to be chasing play rather than imposing himself.  Both these issues left us quite exposed as a side.

Recently though I think Pelupessy has improved these attributes no end.  He still looks to get it to Bannan, but not at every opportunity.  The players seem more confident giving him the ball, which is possibly related to him taking up smarter positions both in attack and defence.  This formation suits him too, particularly with Hutchinson playing behind him.

He's always fit, always gives his all, and his game is improving - for where we are as a club for the foreseeable, it fits.  Let's hope he keeps it up now.

First 20 mins last night was best he has played for Wednesday . Then he resorted to back passes and finally ran out of steam after 50 mins . Shaw and Luongo better engines,box to box players who can score .

Nothing against Joey , always give 100% and seems a positive  and popular character with other players . However not a Championship player  player 

• Like 1