Thompson totally out of his depth

I said after the Millwall game I'd been giving him the job at half time but the second half concerned me as it was a bit like the Coventry game. Some criticized me for saying how I would have maybe done things differently. I actually wasn't doing that because he's a caretaker. Just putting my two penith in..... it has been a concern how in two games we have not come out for the second half but...... Thompson has shown improvement of players, and that he has hot ideas and is getting them across to the players. I have said on here many times when I've thought we should sack a manager I can put up with not winning if you can see an idea and or progression.  Which I do. The fact that he's transformed our squad for most of the games to look completely different is amazing. The only other worry was how caretaker time can start great then drop off. But some have to go on to be successful and you can't say right now he's not knocking on the door for a longer contract as manager. Whether he wants it I don't know but he must be putting a lot of work in so you'd think he would...... either way just what he's done so far and without playing crap DROSS football he's shown the light!

4 minutes ago, ashley8 said:

I said after the Millwall game I'd been giving him the job at half time but the second half concerned me as it was a bit like the Coventry game. Some criticized me for saying how I would have maybe done things differently. I actually wasn't doing that because he's a caretaker. Just putting my two penith in..... it has been a concern how in two games we have not come out for the second half but...... Thompson has shown improvement of players, and that he has hot ideas and is getting them across to the players. I have said on here many times when I've thought we should sack a manager I can put up with not winning if you can see an idea and or progression.  Which I do. The fact that he's transformed our squad for most of the games to look completely different is amazing. The only other worry was how caretaker time can start great then drop off. But some have to go on to be successful and you can't say right now he's not knocking on the door for a longer contract as manager. Whether he wants it I don't know but he must be putting a lot of work in so you'd think he would...... either way just what he's done so far and without playing crap DROSS football he's shown the light!

His overall win record is pretty impressive though Anything over 40% with this unbalanced squad is beyond what we should reasonably expect. There will be defeats, for sure, but I still believe he represents our best chance of avoiding the drop. At this late stage, his extensive knowledge of all the players, plus those coming through, give him the edge over who we might bring in. Were it the summer, with a summer window available, then that might be different, but given our current circumstances, he’s the best man for the job

• Like 1

Thompson is certainly exceeding my expectations at this moment in time, and is getting more out of the squad than either Monk or Pulis managed this season.

Performances haven't always been convincing, but the turnaround in points gained since those dark days under Pulis has been remarkable, and that's really all we can ask for given the circumstances.

If we'd continued the form we showed under Pulis, we'd be miles adrift at this point, whereas thanks to our recent upturn in form, we're now in a position where simply maintaining our current points per game average (for the whole season) would see us finish on 49 points, which would be enough to keep us up in most seasons.

Even a decline to just one point per game between now and the end of the season would see us reach 46, which is the average needed to stay up.

I'm not going to go crazily optimistic and dare to dream that we can maintain our form since Thompson took over, but if we manage to maintain the points per game that we've achieved under Thompson and Monk combined, then we'll finish on 63 points and be well clear of danger.

It's almost certainly by accident rather than design, but Chansiri might just have got lucky with Thompson, whose work so far is covering up a multitude of sins higher up the hierarchy of our club.

Thompson deserves a lot of credit for putting us in this position, and although I still think it was incredibly risky to allow the January transfer window to pass us by in the way that we did, it's done now and we need to focus on what we can do to stay up over the next three months.

It would be madness to rock the boat at this point by bringing in a new manager, so we simply have to back Thompson to keep up the good work he's done thus far. My only slight worry is that we backed our recent managers (well, eventually in Monk's case) with a coaching team, and I wonder if Thompson mightn't prefer to bring in a coach or two to help shoulder the weight a little?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Thompson is certainly exceeding my expectations at this moment in time, and is getting more out of the squad than either Monk or Pulis managed this season.

Performances haven't always been convincing, but the turnaround in points gained since those dark days under Pulis has been remarkable, and that's really all we can ask for given the circumstances.

If we'd continued the form we showed under Pulis, we'd be miles adrift at this point, whereas thanks to our recent upturn in form, we're now in a position where simply maintaining our current points per game average (for the whole season) would see us finish on 49 points, which would be enough to keep us up in most seasons.

Even a decline to just one point per game between now and the end of the season would see us reach 46, which is the average needed to stay up.

I'm not going to go crazily optimistic and dare to dream that we can maintain our form since Thompson took over, but if we manage to maintain the points per game that we've achieved under Thompson and Monk combined, then we'll finish on 63 points and be well clear of danger.

It's almost certainly by accident rather than design, but Chansiri might just have got lucky with Thompson, whose work so far is covering up a multitude of sins higher up the hierarchy of our club.

Thompson deserves a lot of credit for putting us in this position, and although I still think it was incredibly risky to allow the January transfer window to pass us by in the way that we did, it's done now and we need to focus on what we can do to stay up over the next three months.

It would be madness to rock the boat at this point by bringing in a new manager, so we simply have to back Thompson to keep up the good work he's done thus far. My only slight worry is that we backed our recent managers (well, eventually in Monk's case) with a coaching team, and I wonder if Thompson mightn't prefer to bring in a coach or two to help shoulder the weight a little?

That’s exactly how I see it. Performances will continue to be unconvincing because the squad is unbalanced, and sometimes we won’t be able to stop sides exploiting that We had the chance to address that, but as you say, we failed in that last window to rectify the problem. Thompson has, not only managed overcome that by making us harder to beat, but has also found a way of achieving wins. That’s hugely impressive, considering our limitations

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

That’s exactly how I see it. Performances will continue to be unconvincing because the squad is unbalanced, and sometimes we won’t be able to stop sides exploiting that We had the chance to address that, but as you say, we failed in that last window to rectify the problem. Thompson has, not only managed overcome that by making us harder to beat, but has also found a way of achieving wins. That’s hugely impressive, considering our limitations

Yeah, it's hard not to get swept up in the panic after a loss to Coventry or Millwall when you look at the league table and see us struggling to haul ourselves clear of trouble, but with the squad we've got, we're always liable to have results like that.

I made a post at the start of the season about how we might be in for a long wait before we pull clear of the bottom three, and the point still stands. Obviously the points deduction was halved, but we then shot ourselves in the foot by appointing Pulis, who seemingly cost us twice as many points in return! 

No manager was going to come in and turn this squad into world-beaters, but Thompson has done as well as we could have dared to hope anyone could, really. He may not be the long-term solution, but in this moment, he's performing admirably.

All we can do now is hope it continues.

• Like 1

We will get some beatings between now and the end of the season, no question. And our often crocked squad is in decent health for a change despite the fixture pile up and COVID.  We need to hold our nerve.  We have given ourselves a chance with Bullen and NT.  Stick with it, ride out the inevitable bad run that will come. 

If we stay up, they both should have statues built at the stadium, it will be one of the best managerial feats in a generation given the unbelievable situation they are working in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mcmigo said:

We will get some beatings between now and the end of the season, no question. And our often crocked squad is in decent health for a change despite the fixture pile up and COVID.  We need to hold our nerve.  We have given ourselves a chance with Bullen and NT.  Stick with it, ride out the inevitable bad run that will come. 

If we stay up, they both should have statues built at the stadium, it will be one of the best managerial feats in a generation given the unbelievable situation they are working in.

Absolutely this.

Thompson and Bullen keep us up it will be a miracle. 

I think some people underestimate exactly what they’ve been up against. Credit to the players too, may lack ability at times but I can’t fault them for their work rate this season. They’ve put it in. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Apologies if already posted.

This season:-

Monk           P11. W3. D3. L5 GF6. GA10. Pts12

Pulis            P10. W1. D4. L5. GF6. GA12. Pts7

Thompson  P7. W5. D0. L2. GF9. GA8. Pts15

Remarkable

Hi Neil, I see Monk didn't do as well as Thompson's doing. Go figure.

42 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

I don't think cup matches count

From skybet terms

Caretaker and interim managers will not count unless they complete at least 10 competitive games for club managers and 4 games for international managers and they will then be deemed the permanent manager.

Based on that Swansea would be his 10th so should trigger a payout.

Those advocating NT for “the job” should pause to consider what “the job” actually is. No doubt NT has improved results on the pitch. This is to be expected given he has an excellent reputation as a coach. Performances have improved too but I believe an element of this is that NT isn’t Monk or Pulis. You can sense the relief in the squad to be working under a less negative and draconian coach. For the sake of balance, the team was really poor against Coventry and Millwall. We showed promise against Wycombe but they have lost 17 times and conceded 47. 

The manager’s job is more than what happens on game day although this is the most important element. 

Will NT be able to attract players to SWFC? Will he be able to build a balanced squad for next season and beyond? How will he cope when the next crisis comes? Can he manage upwards?

For me, NT is proving to be a good coach. At the end of the season we’ll know if he can be an excellent coach. Maybe he can become what Phelan was to Ferguson, what Clarke was to Mourinho, what Taylor was to Clough but we do need a new, quality manager to lead the team and the club.