Paul Cook “ If you’re not allowed to manage, then you’re an employee and not a manager.”

23 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

His quote, met with the owner,  not the right job for him. A week later enter the well known Jos Lukuhay

Cant remember that quote, I can remember the speculation at the time if I'm wrong fair enough, all I would say is that was a lucky escape

1 hour ago, bubbleowl said:

Cant remember that quote, I can remember the speculation at the time if I'm wrong fair enough, all I would say is that was a lucky escape

There have been 5 managers since Carlos left. 
1 constant -the owner.

We are in a worse position than when he took over.

I don’t feel like we’ve had a lucky escape.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the club settled on a style of play,ie attacking so 433  or 4321 the recruitment of managers and coaches would be a lot more straight forward.

By appointing managers with varying styles you wind up with a disjointed squad,as players that dont fit the next manager get left behind.

It also means you can still buy players that fit the blueprint as and when they become available even if you lose a manager.

The recruitment at the club has been poor for a number of years,it needs addressing asap.

21 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

I may be wrong here, but I thought even 'Managers' were employee's of any business?.

Poster's on here have praised the way Brentford, Watford and Barnsley are run, yet when it seem's that Chansiri want's to go down the same route, have a 1st team coach, he is wrong.

I have no preference over who the next 1st team Manager/Coach is , I just want to see the club winning games.

Probably because they do it the right way .

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, RevOwl said:

Doesn't make sense. A manager is an employee. 

Yes but you know what he means. As a manager you have a degree of control like all managers do in every walk of life. If you’re not a manager, you’re just a member of staff with very little control. This is what Cook means.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

There have been 5 managers since Carlos left. 
1 constant -the owner.

We are in a worse position than when he took over.

I don’t feel like we’ve had a lucky escape.

Spot on.  We are owned by a man with access to a lot of money who has spent it badly.  I have a feeling if he’d kept Pearson and Roeder on and listened to their choice of manager/players then we would probably be in a complete different place now.  

Brighton did not have any parachute payments either and they spent less money assembling their promotion squad than Chansiri has spent on ours.

• Thanks 2

On 15/01/2021 at 22:31, Markowski77 said:

Rightly or wrongly , agree or disagree but the game has moved on from the manager controlling everything transfers signings etc etc 

the shelf life of a manager now is very very short, so this is the reason football clubs try and suit a philosophy and way of playing (where players are signed for the style of play) I’m not saying we have a style or identity- but the manager signs everyone picks the players is so outdated 

it will simply not work with an English manager and chansiri,  these English managers were brought up on building / buying and identifying the players 

Chansiri simply wants a head coach to coach the players infront of him, and for himself and others to do the signings as they see fit 

I don’t see the real harm in it really - it’s worked very well for other teams this method , it’s just with wether dc can put more trust and assemble to right recruitment team

He’d have trouble with assembling something from Ikea🤷‍♂️

On 15/01/2021 at 22:31, Markowski77 said:

Rightly or wrongly , agree or disagree but the game has moved on from the manager controlling everything transfers signings etc etc 

the shelf life of a manager now is very very short, so this is the reason football clubs try and suit a philosophy and way of playing (where players are signed for the style of play) I’m not saying we have a style or identity- but the manager signs everyone picks the players is so outdated 

it will simply not work with an English manager and chansiri,  these English managers were brought up on building / buying and identifying the players 

Chansiri simply wants a head coach to coach the players infront of him, and for himself and others to do the signings as they see fit 

I don’t see the real harm in it really - it’s worked very well for other teams this method , it’s just with wether dc can put more trust and assemble to right recruitment team

Chansiri has been here for SIX YEARS mate

lol

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Chansiri has been here for SIX YEARS mate

lol

ha I know - I wasn’t  speaking about us with that model and been successful, far from it!!!!! simply responding to someone who asking about that particular set up of a head coach / manager 

our set up is just a total mess 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bluestripe said:

I’d of expected a manager short-listed for a job at a well established club like Wednesday, would not divulge details of the process.

whatever the differences, Paul Cook (who some respect) should be discreet and pragmatic

Personally, I am glad to be given a reason why the favourite does not look likely to be appointed!

On 15/01/2021 at 22:30, Sticky Micky said:

People are niave if they think DC is the only chairman in world football who likes to dictate what happens at the club 

I don't agree with it but it's his club does what he wants 

Need a 'scowl' icon...

9 hours ago, Hitcat said:

He's just got the wrong advisors. The system itself isn't usual. Nobody on here would be moaning if we were being advised by the guys behind Wolves.

At the moment we seem to have two - Paixo and Alonso. Do either have any actual football credentials re managing/coaching? 

12 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

At the moment we seem to have two - Paixo and Alonso. Do either have any actual football credentials re managing/coaching? 

I believe there may be a third advisor whose opinion the chairman also values quite highly.

To quote Sly Stone: 'it's a family affair'.

🤨

Am not really of the opinion that Paul Cook is the golden ticket,  obviously comes across as a top bloke but it’s a complete lottery appointing managers these days 

There’s as much chance of the club striking lucky with an unknown foreign manager that the fan base seem so set against, than there is of Paul Cook been a success 

Complete lottery