Paul Cook “ If you’re not allowed to manage, then you’re an employee and not a manager.”

12 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Something is wrong with the way DC is doing things. Surely? 

Bruce walks out after 6 months.

Monk kept alluding to issues behind the scenes and ‘certain situations’. 

Pulis lasted 10 bloody games.

Why is the Sheffield Wednesday job a seemingly impossible one for any manager? 

Come on, this is not news is it? We knew that the club was owned by somebody with zero knowledge of football, zero love for the game, the club, or the traditions right from the word go.

To own an English company, or an English football team is just showing the world you have arrived. The vast majority of foreign owners may have bucket loads of money, but most have very little class. Quite frankly we are just like a gold chain to a pimp, for Chansiri. Something to dangle around your neck and show off. "Look at me, I own an English football club!". The man has no respect, no class and no idea. His very first move was to bring in a level of control above his first head coach, Carlos. So what's changed? He will never give the fans what they really want because he dares more about want he wants. Control.

Control over something that is loved. Control over something with history and in the public eye and English. 

If we are going to be honest about Chansiri, surely the only things we, as fans have truly liked are the things his money could buy for us? It's just a shame that he has got no idea. I would not let him buy me a chair. It would probably be delivered covered in red and gold paint with badly carved elephants and buddas all over it, and with an ashtray on one arm (I don't smoke, but he woudn't be bothered about that would he).

This man will never change and will drag us through more shame and misery before he is done.

I have been less interested in every successive manager that Chansiri has scraped up and have little interest in whoever he lines up as his next fall guy. 

Get lost Chansiri you have failed spectacularly and no matter how much money you could have, you will never be a worthy or classy enough owner or chairman of our club. Bert McGee had far less money and far more class.

Go and buy an American football team, they would suit you perfectly.

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I just think DC likes having advisers because they won’t challenge him.

God forbid he appoints a DOF or CEO and they challenge the way he runs things.

True. But it doesn't have to be that way. The only reason it is because of his reliance on his advisor who he uses as a defacto CEO/DOF to stunningly bad effect.

First thing that anyone with an ounce of sense tells him is that his advisor is a chancer rinsing him for every penny he can and he doesn't like that. 

For a supposed businessman, he fundamentally doesn't understand the role of a CEO. And as a supposed football club owner fundamentally misunderstands the role of a DOF, or having any football people in the club for that matter.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, everydays_wednesday said:

We have gone from being one of the original clubs discussing a breakaway European league, playing in Europe, side of full internationals, Chris Waddle etc etc etc to Paul Cook (no disrespect to him) turning us down.

just let that sink in !

Don't think he's turned anything down, and still believe he wants the job, comments about fans last night part of  "campaign" to get the job.

His major selling point to DC is fact fans would be behind him as manager.

Nixon maintained last night that we still had the 5 man shortlist which was being worked on so likely all up for grabs and that noone had been offered anything yet, see this morning Dom now saying same that reports Ivic has been offered job are false

Edited by wellbeaten-the-owl

Man buys boat for £40m.

Man spends £300m on blasting holes in the hull, in stripping away the engines and lifeboats.

Passengers demand someone offers him £350m for the leaking boat with no engines and lifeboats  to stop us sinking. Man agrees it'd be a fair price.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Manwë said:

Man buys boat for £40m.

Man spends £300m on blasting holes in the hull, in stripping away the engines and lifeboats.

Passengers demand someone offers him £350m for the leaking boat with no engines and lifeboats  to stop us sinking. Man agrees it'd be a fair price.

Not a single person has suggested anyone offers the £350m asking price

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

28 minutes ago, everydays_wednesday said:

We have gone from being one of the original clubs discussing a breakaway European league, playing in Europe, side of full internationals, Chris Waddle etc etc etc to Paul Cook (no disrespect to him) turning us down.

just let that sink in !

So you’re saying he was offered the job?

28 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Come on, this is not news is it? We knew that the club was owned by somebody with zero knowledge of football, zero love for the game, the club, or the traditions right from the word go.

To own an English company, or an English football team is just showing the world you have arrived. The vast majority of foreign owners may have bucket loads of money, but most have very little class. Quite frankly we are just like a gold chain to a pimp, for Chansiri. Something to dangle around your neck and show off. "Look at me, I own an English football club!". The man has no respect, no class and no idea. His very first move was to bring in a level of control above his first head coach, Carlos. So what's changed? He will never give the fans what they really want because he dares more about want he wants. Control.

Control over something that is loved. Control over something with history and in the public eye and English. 

If we are going to be honest about Chansiri, surely the only things we, as fans have truly liked are the things his money could buy for us? It's just a shame that he has got no idea. I would not let him buy me a chair. It would probably be delivered covered in red and gold paint with badly carved elephants and buddas all over it, and with an ashtray on one arm (I don't smoke, but he woudn't be bothered about that would he).

This man will never change and will drag us through more shame and misery before he is done.

I have been less interested in every successive manager that Chansiri has scraped up and have little interest in whoever he lines up as his next fall guy. 

Get lost Chansiri you have failed spectacularly and no matter how much money you could have, you will never be a worthy or classy enough owner or chairman of our club. Bert McGee had far less money and far more class.

Go and buy an American football team, they would suit you perfectly.

I wouldn’t disagree but the Leicester owners have shown it can be done properly with foreign buyers.

• Like 1

Cook didn’t turn us down, though. If people read the entire article, they’d find that he’s 

1. Haven’t been offered the job

2. Is still open to an offer. Or as he himself says: 

"I wish Sheffield Wednesday going forward, whether it’s Paul Cook or any manager, the best of luck

Now, I’m OK with them spending time to sort out the manager/head coach position. Cook is a decent manager, but yet he’s only seen real success in the lower leagues.

If they want to look abroad, in prinsipale that’s fine with me. The problem is really DC has no clue whatsoever, so whoever we appoint it’s just anybody’s guess how it’ll turn out really. 

• Like 1

Let's be honest, its Chansiri's club, he is funding it and can do what he wants with it...sell, stay, etc. and this includes appointing a coach / manager that he can work with the way he wants to.

I'd have liked Cook but if its not to be so be it, cant change it. Just hope whatever happens we get someone in that brings us success, unity and smiles along the way.

Just now, Fuzzy logics said:

Let's be honest, its Chansiri's club, he is funding it and can do what he wants with it...sell, stay, etc. and this includes appointing a coach / manager that he can work with the way he wants to.

I'd have liked Cook but if its not to be so be it, cant change it. Just hope whatever happens we get someone in that brings us success, unity and smiles along the way.

So basically sit down, shut up, and pay up?

Owlstalk Shop

58 minutes ago, everydays_wednesday said:

just let that sink in !

When did Paul Cook turn us down?

Since being a side full of international with Chris Waddle and the like we have spent 20 years outside the top flight and 4 years in the 3rd division.  

A manager should always be the one that calls the shots when it comes to training, tactics, signings etc. Yes the chairman needs to be supportive and he decides what money is available to spend but it should always be the manager that makes the final call as it falls on his shoulders if results aren't going their way. I know in Europe the model is different and it's common for a head coach to accept players that are put infront of him and he has to get on with it but to be succesful a manager especially with 20/30 years experience in football has to be allowed to manage the team in the way he see's fit otherwise the chairman should just save on a wage and manage the team himself

I’ve already come to terms with the fact that Chansiri will appoint a completely unheard of foreigner ‘who has loved the club since they were in their mother’s womb’ just like our loyal dictator...sorry I mean chairman.

I look forward to this journeyman manager getting sacked in 5 months, Chansiri blaming the fans and the manager, and then repeating this cycle.

thank you Chansiri for your brave leadership 

Edited by gbear05

14 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

So basically sit down, shut up, and pay up?

Pretty much. Unless you think there’s something else that can be done? I think the man is useless by the way, but he owns the club and chooses how to run it. Until he’s gone it’s all just trivial 

Haven't read all the thread yet so this may have already been said,  but what struck me about it is "If you're not allowed to manage you're an employee not a manager"

I may be a bit naive but I always understood that a manager of any company was employed by that company and therefore an employee. Unless they are an owner manager.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2