Paul Cook “ If you’re not allowed to manage, then you’re an employee and not a manager.”

2 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

A manager should always be the one that calls the shots when it comes to training, tactics, signings etc. Yes the chairman needs to be supportive and he decides what money is available to spend but it should always be the manager that makes the final call as it falls on his shoulders if results aren't going their way. I know in Europe the model is different and it's common for a head coach to accept players that are put infront of him and he has to get on with it but to be succesful a manager especially with 20/30 years experience in football has to be allowed to manage the team in the way he see's fit otherwise the chairman should just save on a wage and manage the team himself

Your right but I would imagine 70/80% 0f clubs are run like us in the top 2 divisions. I think a prime example are brentford and maybe reading even man utd do it this way the difference is they do it far better than us with scouting and recuitment. This is why if you get it wrong which we are it leaves your manager/coach with a disjointed team and players who cant play your system, which ends with disgruntled fans and then dismissal.

Paul cook would have end up exactly the same as monk and pulis unless he accepted he was only a coach and not a manager which is why Carlos was reasonably successful he knew his job which is why l think we will go foreign again if possible 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

This is another irony about Paul Cook, in the interview posted on Owlstalk this week he stated he preferred to stick to the same formation, so over a period of time, and with work on the training ground, players learn the formation and style of play. Eventually his methods make better players and lead to better results. That was music to my ears...

So once again we're opting for a football genius who's going to blind the players with science and changes in formation.

I hope for DC and Att, it finally works out for us...

I hope att's his own man and is watching his old man fűčkîng us up and as some ideas how to get us out of this poo when he's handed the reins.... How old is he? When can he start? 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, victorturner said:

Milan Mandaric tried to sell the club to that Azerbaijan guy or was it Kazahkstan. Then Chansiri . Took the money and ran. Did he really do due diligence on the kind of guy he was.

Didn't DC say there was a load of money owed by the club that he knew nothing about when he bought it? Infact it only came into the public domain recently so it could be that he only found out about it recently.  From memory it was mentioned at the recent press briefing.

If I'm right it's not very impressive due diligence on DC's part or his accountants.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Drewswfc said:

I hope att's his own man and is watching his old man fűčkîng us up and as some ideas how to get us out of this poo when he's handed the reins.... How old is he? When can he start? 

He's been one of our 'advisors' for years, hasn't he?

Remember Carvalhal revealing it was Att who made the final decision on appointing him as manager?

😬

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hookowl said:

Haven't read all the thread yet so this may have already been said,  but what struck me about it is "If you're not allowed to manage you're an employee not a manager"

I may be a bit naive but I always understood that a manager of any company was employed by that company and therefore an employee. Unless they are an owner manager.

You can see what he's getting at, yes he's employed but he is totally responsible for the results and performances of the team yet with interference on key issues including player recruitment and possibly other things. Not really a recipe for success. 

Guest Hornsby
3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I don't want Cook now

If Chansiri begrudgingly gave it to him after a fan backlash could you imagine how it would turn out?

lol

Nahhh - sod that 

We have no choice but to move on

If Chansiri is vindictive how come Paxo is still breathing?

Or is he more than just an advisor?

We left it to these two last time and look what happened.

Cooky's clearly mad keen and the more fan pressure applied better, surely.

5 hours ago, BRUCE LEE said:

Aye

Because it’s not like there’s half a dozen league clubs mid takeover at present is it 

Clearly deluded 

Have you really not noticed the events at Wigan and Sunderland? Many Wigan fans fearing another relegation unless a buyer with a suitable bid comes in , meanwhile they've had to sell all their best players.

What happened to Bury,  Macclesfield and Bolton with so many buyers........and that was before Covid!

32 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He's been one of our 'advisors' for years, hasn't he?

Remember Carvalhal revealing it was Att who made the final decision on appointing him as manager?

😬

Fűčk me years n years of torture to come then. They always say the apple never falls far from the tree. Brilliant. 

• Like 1