Paul Cook “ If you’re not allowed to manage, then you’re an employee and not a manager.”

41 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Have you really not noticed the events at Wigan and Sunderland? Many Wigan fans fearing another relegation unless a buyer with a suitable bid comes in , meanwhile they've had to sell all their best players.

What happened to Bury,  Macclesfield and Bolton with so many buyers........and that was before Covid!

You’re still trying to convince people the only way for our club to exist is if it’s ruled by Chansiri?

lol

STILL????

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

19 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Paul Cook has spoken tonight on Talksport about the Wednesday job. He has been approached. Talks no longer ongoing.

The quote in the thread title again struck me. Very similar to what Danny Cowley said on Sky Sports before the Derby game. And it also reinforces what Carlton Palmer has said in the press. 

Come on DC why do these managers keep saying the same thing! What is it about the job that’s making them have reservations? 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/talks-arent-ongoing-paul-cook-tells-all-discussions-over-sheffield-wednesday-managers-job-3102873

I may be wrong here, but I thought even 'Managers' were employee's of any business?.

Poster's on here have praised the way Brentford, Watford and Barnsley are run, yet when it seem's that Chansiri want's to go down the same route, have a 1st team coach, he is wrong.

I have no preference over who the next 1st team Manager/Coach is , I just want to see the club winning games.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Something is wrong with the way DC is doing things. Surely? 

Bruce walks out after 6 months.

Monk kept alluding to issues behind the scenes and ‘certain situations’. 

Pulis lasted 10 bloody games.

Why is the Sheffield Wednesday job a seemingly impossible one for any manager? 

Just a hunch...is it because we are a complete basket case?

Just saying..

20 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Paul Cook has spoken tonight on Talksport about the Wednesday job. He has been approached. Talks no longer ongoing.

The quote in the thread title again struck me. Very similar to what Danny Cowley said on Sky Sports before the Derby game. And it also reinforces what Carlton Palmer has said in the press. 

Come on DC why do these managers keep saying the same thing! What is it about the job that’s making them have reservations? 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/talks-arent-ongoing-paul-cook-tells-all-discussions-over-sheffield-wednesday-managers-job-3102873

A manager is employed

1 hour ago, adelphi1867 said:

I may be wrong here, but I thought even 'Managers' were employee's of any business?.

Poster's on here have praised the way Brentford, Watford and Barnsley are run, yet when it seem's that Chansiri want's to go down the same route, have a 1st team coach, he is wrong.

I have no preference over who the next 1st team Manager/Coach is , I just want to see the club winning games.

If the plan is to 'have a first team coach', then that's fine.

In and of itself though, that puts us nowhere near the Brentfords and Watfords of this world, who also have a support structure in place above said coach, overseen by a Director of Football.

If we're going to have a coach whose support and guidance comes from Chansiri and a few advisors who apparently aren't employed by the club, then we'll continue flail around aimlessly as we have done during much of his tenure so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, adelphi1867 said:

Of course managers are employees, as are MDs and Directors in a public company.

But not to have any influence in key decisions about staff means you become more of an employee and less of a MD/manager.

Imagine the owner of a company picking all the recruits,  and telling the MD how he wants the company to produce quality products with no say so

2 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

That the crux, for all the moaning now if this time next year we're still in championship, winning games and towards top end of table then what would it matter if it's a head coach or manager structure?

Our recruitment team had a nightmare to deal with in summer recruiting half a squad with very little budget due to covid / FFP mess from past.  Wouldn't have mattered who manager was would have had same handicap.. would like to see sort of players Downes could source if he had some funds to play with!

2 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

He wants a head coach without the investment in the coherent structure that goes alongside it. The end result - a squad like the one we have.  When will people’s patience and tolerance  with the stupid way we’ve been run be exhausted? It’s extraordinary. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

He wants a head coach without the investment in the coherent structure that goes alongside it. The end result - a squad like the one we have.  When will people’s patience and tolerance  with the stupid way we’ve been run be exhausted? It’s extraordinary. 

Agree. And sadly, that lack of coherence seems to pervade the whole 'organisation'.

10 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

I am not defending Chansiri here, but when Mandric owned the club the 'Manager' had very little input in the player recruitment.

He just told the club the positions we needed strengthening and the club brought in players we could afford, not maybe the players the 'Manager' wanted, so what is the difference?.

• Haha 1

Just now, adelphi1867 said:

I am not defending Chansiri here, but when Mandric owned the club the 'Manager' had very little input in the player recruitment.

He just told the club the positions we needed strengthening and the club brought in players we could afford, not maybe the players the 'Manager' wanted, so what is the difference?.

We used to be poo at it and we still are isn’t a coherent approach. 

Paul cook saying managers need to manage is a thing of the past. Most teams employ a manager/coach to oversee the first team and recruitment is dealt with by other people. The policy at the club is correct but the execution of it is shocking on two fronts.

First is the recruitment team don't all seem on the same page and on occasion have possible personal interests and until they all sing off the same hymn sheet that will always fail.

Secondly why employ people like Bruce, and pulis who are old school and monk who didn't fit the profile. Chansiri needs to go back to what kind of worked of a coach not a manager who knows what is expected of him like Carlos, the problem I have is I'm not convinced the owner will learn from his mistakes and we will just plod along leaping from one nightmare to the next

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Exactly.

It's baffling that some posters are trying to equate what we're doing with the structures in place at clubs like Brentford or Watford.

What we're apparently doing is sticking a spoiler on a Vauxhall Astra and hoping it'll drive like a Porsche.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Manderic was a football man as was Alderidge 

Chansiri would have been better off buying the club and leaving Mandy in charge. 
Aldridge stayed on for 12 months I think but probably had little input after Chansiri got fully into megalomaniac mode