Paul Cook “ If you’re not allowed to manage, then you’re an employee and not a manager.”

I just want to add myself to the list of "a manager not being in charge of player recruitment makes no sense" brigade.

A manager's goal is to get the best out of his players and therefore, the best results for the club. Therefore the manager knows best, which players will fit in best with his ideas and most importantly, the kind of player that will respond best to him.

This whole system is utterly shambolic. I have steered clear of levelling criticism at DC, but Paul Cook's observations are too dire to ignore.

Edited by WMJ4ever
Word omitted
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Chansiri has said himself he has turned down offers for the club in recent times 

And there lies your problem pal.

DC ain’t going nowhere soon being sole owner means he holds the cards. He will sell up when he’s ready and whilst ever people clamour for him to go, his ego means he’s not the type to do what others request.

fans can moan, groan, boycott etc and personal don’t think it bothers him. 

• Like 2

Just now, WMJ4ever said:

I just want to add myself to the list of "a manager not being in charge of player makes no sense" brigade.

A manager's goal is to get the best out of his players and therefore, the best results for the club. Therefore the manager knows best, which players will fit in best with his ideas and most importantly, the kind of player that will respond best to him.

This whole system is utterly shambolic. I have steered clear of levelling criticism at DC, but Paul Cook's observations are too dire to ignore.

I think Chansiri could very well have an argument  for signing the players and making the decisions he makes

IF IT WORKED

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, King_Monkey said:

And there lies your problem pal.

DC ain’t going nowhere soon being sole owner means he holds the cards. He will sell up when he’s ready and whilst ever people clamour for him to go, his ego means he’s not the type to do what others request.

fans can moan, groan, boycott etc and personal don’t think it bothers him. 

I think it really really bothers him

I think it gets him angry that our fans have an opinion and don't just cough up our cash to fund his plans

I think it makes him rage big time

But you're right - it doesn't sway him from doing what he wants to do

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

43 minutes ago, poite said:

Hughton was brought to Forest to get them out of the relegation zone. 

They are hardly setting the world of football alight but he has them 3 pts above the drop with half the season left to go. 

Doing the job ok in my view 

I am sure if you would have said to the Forest owners, that halfway through January they would still be heavily involved in a relegation battle after appointing Hughton they would have been extremely disappointed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Yes that's them

I threw their name in as yet another example of clubs being taken over during Covid

That's all

We're in in trouble as the figures literally don't add up to take us on.

Only comparable club is Derby but at least they have a host of highly rated young players worth a few quid and the group taking them over is same group who had been shown the door by a few other clubs for being time wasters.

Unless the purchaser is Uber rich I would question the motive of someone willing to take on a club at the moment unless sale price was minimal

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A12owl said:

That's the crux of the matter. A head coach will work with the right structure. The problem is that DC doesn't know what the right structure is. He almost had it right in the first season with his committee. After Wembley he disbanded them and thought him and his mate could do it on their own. 

Wrong

100% agree

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A12owl said:

That's the crux of the matter. A head coach will work with the right structure. The problem is that DC doesn't know what the right structure is. He almost had it right in the first season with his committee. After Wembley he disbanded them and thought him and his mate could do it on their own. 

Wrong

If you want to go down the head coach route. You need a DOF. Someone who can implement a style and philosophy that he wants the head coach to make.

We’ve gone from Carlos to Jos to Bruce to Monk to Pulis to?

A complete mess of different managers with different ideas, formations and styles.

Go figure. 

1 minute ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

We're in in trouble as the figures literally don't add up to take us on.

Only comparable club is Derby but at least they have a host of highly rated young players worth a few quid and the group taking them over is same group who had been shown the door by a few other clubs for being time wasters.

Unless the purchaser is Uber rich I would question the motive of someone willing to take on a club at the moment unless sale price was minimal

Well definitely 
If you were looking to take over a club long term this is definitely a buyers market right now

Buy at an all time low price, fund it through the covid pandemic, and reap the rewards on the other side

Massive potential

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, WMJ4ever said:

I just want to add myself to the list of "a manager not being in charge of player recruitment makes no sense" brigade.

It’s probably why Paul Cook isn’t managing Norwich or Brentford, Southampton or Arsenal or any other of the successful clubs that now follow the format. Nothing to do with his capabilities all about him not liking the system. 

It’s not the system that’s at fault. It’s how we execute it. As other clubs prove it can work very well. But with directors of football etc. 

26 minutes ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

This will probably get deleted but I'm going to post it anyway 

Chansiri is the frontman for a consortium as was first reported in the press when he took over. 

You know who and his cohort are the consortium IMO.

Research into certain people (which I'm not allowed to post links to on here), backs up what you say mate. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Well definitely 
If you were looking to take over a club long term this is definitely a buyers market right now

Buy at an all time low price, fund it through the covid pandemic, and reap the rewards on the other side

Massive potential

Am sure that's what's happening at Derby as Morris wants out.

1 hour ago, S1Owl said:

Thought we'd got new advisors ffs. Please not another Jos or someone from Swiss football pls no. 🙏

The new advisors are also agents, with very little football experience. Erik Alonso is 28. He moved back to Spain in 2014 from Bali , where he’d moved in in 2008 with his parents. He had a short professional boxing career (5 fights) there then worked in boxing promotion on returning to Spain.  His partner (and ‘scout’’) in No Limits Sports Agency (incorporated in October 2020) Tajinder Sumal  was an IT consultant until 2017.

They do have Paco Jemes on their books and also recently added Predrag Mijatović, listed as a director of football, so that will be interesting to watch.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Chansiri has said himself he has turned down offers for the club in recent times 

I don’t believe a word he says if I’m being honest.

One minute he says we need to pay high ticket prices to help the club comply with FFP, the next our money doesn’t pay for anything.

He surveys the fans and says if we continue to pay high prices, he will continue to invest into the side with the aim of promotion to the Premier League, we then watch as the majority of our better players leave for free and our replaced by youth team players and the likes of Joey Pelupessey and Moses Odubajo.

The club afforded Steve Bruce every possible curtesy when trying to bring him in as manager, allowing him time off to go on a family holiday, then he comes out and says he never wanted Bruce in the first place. 

He’s tried to claim that fans on social media are responsible for putting off huge sponsorship deals.

I often wonder if he makes it up as he goes along.

No doubt a club like Wednesday will always have suitors but they’ll probably just be the usual tyre kickers like Geoff Sheard and Cloud 9 Sports, I’m sure any serious potential owner would be put off by what I’m sure would be an astronomic asking price that Chansiri would expect for the club.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Guest everydays_wednesday

We have gone from being one of the original clubs discussing a breakaway European league, playing in Europe, side of full internationals, Chris Waddle etc etc etc to Paul Cook (no disrespect to him) turning us down.

just let that sink in !