3 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

We have brought them in before, Barkley, Wickham, Sahar, Carson. Albeit at a different time.

It’s about contacts as you say but also the mode of operating.

The club aren’t necessarily going for old heads any more but they do want assets for potential resale. 

Yeah we have, and all those players gave us something we lacked. Generally though, since Chansiri took over, the emphasis has been on experienced championship players. Nothing wrong with that, we got good value out of Wallace, but did we need to duplicate that with the likes of McGeady, McManaman and Boyd? Wouldn’t we have been better with some exciting young talents, who would bring pace and energy to the squad, instead of clogging up the squad with thirty somethings 

Looking at what we need now, there is only one position where I feel we should be looking for experience, and that’s a target man. Elsewhere, younger players, less experienced, but with pace, energy, and that extra level of skill, are what’s needed. There is plenty of experience within the group. 
Younger players are more likely to be subsidised by their parent clubs, because they want them out there getting experience

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yeah we have, and all those players gave us something we lacked. Generally though, since Chansiri took over, the emphasis has been on experienced championship players. Nothing wrong with that, we got good value out of Wallace, but did we need to duplicate that with the likes of McGeady, McManaman and Boyd? Wouldn’t we have been better with some exciting young talents, who would bring pace and energy to the squad, instead of clogging up the squad with thirty somethings 

Looking at what we need now, there is only one position where I feel we should be looking for experience, and that’s a target man. Elsewhere, younger players, less experienced, but with pace, energy, and that extra level of skill, are what’s needed. There is plenty of experience within the group. 
Younger players are more likely to be subsidised by their parent clubs, because they want them out there getting experience

It was championship experience for the first three years. Now it seems to be signing younger players who are more athletic albeit some experience and premier league loans. Jacob Murphy, izzy brown, Wickham being examples of that. 

The trick we are missing is some of the talent further down the EFL

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

It was championship experience for the first three years. Now it seems to be signing younger players who are more athletic albeit some experience and premier league loans. Jacob Murphy, izzy brown, Wickham being examples of that. 

The trick we are missing is some of the talent further down the EFL

Yes we should be looking at young players further down the pyramid, some of whom will be out of contract with their clubs struggling to renew. I don’t mind if we take a shorter term approach to this season, but we have to have one eye on the future

• Like 2

I still think it's a huge gamble changing something that is obviously working at the moment. 

We have been on the slide for a long time with Monk and the disastrous Pulis; and now we've finally got a bit of  team spirit,  consistency and most importantly wins on the board .

Do we really want to risk ruining that? 

Obviously the idea is that a new manager improves us further , but it could end up having a negative effect.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bannofan said:

I still think it's a huge gamble changing something that is obviously working at the moment. 

We have been on the slide for a long time with Monk and the disastrous Pulis; and now we've finally got a bit of  team spirit,  consistency and most importantly wins on the board .

Obviously the idea is that a new manager improves us further , but it could end up having a negative effect.  

I’d usually agree with this. But Cook won’t upset the apple cart. He’s a good manager. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I’d usually agree with this. But Cook won’t upset the apple cart. He’s a good manager. 

Agreed, and also the last 2 league games haven't seen a big change to be fair, very much Pulis esque line ups and tactics but we've just been on the right side of the old lady luck.

• Thanks 1

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

I would say Cooks not in the running , with him being free and he has the experience  you would of thought  Chansiri would of jumped at chance ?? Leaving it this long is points in that direction , a bit like the players contracts he’s letting them run down so they can virtually walk for free Adam Reach for 1 , I reckon Thompson in charge for the rest of the season then administration!!! Hope I’m totally wrong 

2 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

Agreed, and also the last 2 league games haven't seen a big change to be fair, very much Pulis esque line ups and tactics but we've just been on the right side of the old lady luck.

It won’t last you’d think.

better to get a long term appointment in now and see how the chips fall.

• Like 2

Just now, Chansiri is king said:

I would say Cooks not in the running , with him being free and he has the experience  you would of thought  Chansiri would of jumped at chance ?? Leaving it this long is points in that direction , a bit like the players contracts he’s letting them run down so they can virtually walk for free Adam Reach for 1 , I reckon Thompson in charge for the rest of the season then administration!!! Hope I’m totally wrong 

I admire your obstinance in sticking with your current username.

:duntmatter:

• Haha 2

We’ve had 3 people claim they know who the next manager is in the last 72 hours 

- Paul Cook 

- Olic

- Neil Thompson 

Someone’s got to be wrong 

My bet is it’s going to be the foreign route , and the person it’s going to be isn’t even on the betting list 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

I agree its a gamble but you just know that if NT was appointed until the end of the season our group of players would throw him under a bus at the the very next match.