The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

4 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Cook would still bite your hand off for some of our players.

Of course. Our first 11 is strong minus the centre forward area and goalkeeper which are ironically the two most important areas on the pitch. Without addressing this we will struggle.

And our squad depth is poor. A few injuries and we’re done for. Asking a full Wednesday 11 to be injury free all season is like me going out with Scarlett Johansson. Never going to happen.

• Like 1

I’d be more worried if 2-3 teams in league 1 were also making lots of good signings, as it stands Ipswich look strong but there’s still 2 promotion places up for grabs.  A striker and a GK and our starting line up is a match for anyone, including Ipswich. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Of course. Our first 11 is strong minus the centre forward area and goalkeeper which are ironically the two most important areas on the pitch. Without addressing this we will struggle.

And our squad depth is poor. A few injuries and we’re done for. Asking a full Wednesday 11 to be injury free all season is like me going out with Scarlett Johansson. Never going to happen.

We do need more depth.  but we are dropping down a division so it's unknown how well some may do there.

I think Paterson will will do ok in this division if he was played as a centre forward. People bang on about Wyke. but how many would he score in the Championship.? Answer, probably half of what he got last season. 

My point is the quality is a lot less. Had we been going into a championship campaign I would be seriously worried. But the drop in quality is quite big from the bottom of the championship to even the middle of league one. The fact that Rotherham yo yo every year proves that. 

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

We do need more depth.  but we are dropping down a division so it's unknown how well some may do there.

I think Paterson will will do ok in this division if he was played as a centre forward. People bang on about Wyke. but how many would he score in the Championship.? Answer, probably half of what he got last season. 

My point is the quality is a lot less. Had we been going into a championship campaign I would be seriously worried. But the drop in quality is quite big from the bottom of the championship to even the middle of league one. The fact that Rotherham yo yo every year proves that. 

How do you think we’ll do?

Personally will be happy with mid table. You say Rotherham yo yo every season. But bigger clubs like Sunderland now enter their fourth season in League One and Ipswich are now having their third go at it. 

I don’t think it will be as easy as people make out. We struggled in the first season in League One in our previous visits down there. It will all depend on the remaining recruitment. Still some glaring deficiencies in the squad. Moore knows this and unless sorted we will struggle next season.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

I’d be more worried if 2-3 teams in league 1 were also making lots of good signings, as it stands Ipswich look strong but there’s still 2 promotion places up for grabs.  A striker and a GK and our starting line up is a match for anyone, including Ipswich. 

True. Everyone seems to have a small squad. If you look at Charlton, Ipswich, Sunderland, Portsmouth etc. All of them have spent nothing and brought in a few and have squads in the region of 18-24 players. We aren't too far behind for me. But... i know we all know... if we can't bring goals in we're never gonna be a top 6 threat. 

• Like 1

Just now, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

Chaplin a good signing for Ipswich , another one I would have liked , squad wise they are miles ahead of us unfortunately 

Not sure. In numbers and in the striking areas yes. But the rest of their team isn't as good as ours for me on paper anyway. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

How do you think we’ll do?

Personally will be happy with mid table. You say Rotherham yo yo every season. But bigger clubs like Sunderland now enter their fourth season in League One and Ipswich are now having their third go at it. 

I don’t think it will be as easy as people make out. We struggled in the first season in League One in our previous visits down there. It will all depend on the remaining recruitment. Still some glaring deficiencies in the squad. Moore knows this and unless sorted we will struggle next season.

We keep the squad together and have no more off the field issues you have to expect a top six finish. Moore is a very good coach who knows what he is doing.  And the four players we have signed so far should all be good at this level.  

If after 3 games we have 1 point I may change my tune. but at the moment I don't see a reason not to be optimistic giving the fact we have a decent manager for this divison and some of the best players playing for us in it.

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

The problem with talking about "unknown" is that I don't think it favours us. 

The unknowns are all ours. We don't know how our better first team players will fare with the drop. We don't know their current commitment levels after a turbulent 6+ months, relegation, the pay issues and reported denied moves away. We don't know how many of the numerous youth players we're promoting into the first team set up are genuinely ready. We don't know how many of the new signings are ready. 

Forgetting Ipswich, but the other teams likely to be in the promotion shake up all look like they're bigger "knowns" to themselves if not to us. Portsmouth, Sunderland, Lincoln, Charlton, Rotherham, Oxford.. I dunno how confident I am in saying that they're any more of an unknown than we are with ourselves and are own progress towards getting the hell out of League One. 

Realistically I don't expect to get a handle on where this team is until November. I think by then we might have more of an indication of which of the experienced pro's are still into it, which of the kids are actually ready, and where we stand in terms of competing in this league. Until then for me there's just way too much floating about in the air. Way too many question marks to start comparing us to other teams or expectations. 

• Like 2

Long term injuries to 2 or more of:

Bannan,

Luongo,

Iorfa,

Windass

will see us really, really struggle in my opinion. 

That’s not great as one is already injured (and a perennial injury risk) and two of the others are coming off the back of a looooong time out.

It’s a long season in a physical league. Unless we beef up the squad, we’re a bit of bad luck away from being in serious trouble.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Random Task said:

Long term injuries to 2 or more of:

Bannan,

Luongo,

Iorfa,

Windass

will see us really, really struggle in my opinion. 

That’s not great as one is already injured (and a perennial injury risk) and two of the others are coming off the back of a looooong time out.

It’s a long season in a physical league. Unless we beef up the squad, we’re a bit of bad luck away from being in serious trouble.

You could say that about most teams' core of about 4/5 players 

• Love 1

1 minute ago, s29wfc said:

You could say that about most teams' core of about 4/5 players 

You’re probably not wrong.

I don’t know how many other teams have quite as much emphasis on young, unproven back up as us and I don’t believe there can be many teams with as bad a history with injuries as we’ve had over the last few years. 

The quality gap between 1st and 2nd choice is huge. If Bannan & Luongo are injured at the same time we’ll need to play Dele Bashiru & Hunt (with Adeniran who I’m excited about but has played 20 times in his career). 

• Like 1

Sorry, double post - can’t edit to finish my point

2 minutes ago, Random Task said:

You’re probably not wrong.

I don’t know how many other teams have quite as much emphasis on young, unproven back up as us and I don’t believe there can be many teams with as bad a history with injuries as we’ve had over the last few years. 

The quality gap between 1st and 2nd choice is huge. If Bannan & Luongo are injured at the same time we’ll need to play Dele Bashiru & Hunt (with Adeniran who I’m excited about but has played 20 times in his career). 

If we lose 2 players for half a season, we have a relegation midfield and don’t have the quality elsewhere to cover for it. 

Think we need another 6 players personally,  a GK , a left sided CB who can also play in a 3 (the kid Opoku looks ideal) , An attacking mid, A winger and 2 strikers. Hopefully the two on trial - Jasper and Uwakwe can impress enough to be given contracts, like the look of Uwakwe from the snippets I've seen. Then that leaves 2 strikers and the keeper.

• Like 2