The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

1 hour ago, malek said:

So, your logic is to never look at how well (or not) player did at another clubs before deciding if you want us to sign him ? What to base your opinion on than ?!

You named Urhoghide as an example of a player we signed who was unwanted by club at level below us that turned good enough. I can name you hundreds that didn't. And it is not that Urhoghide did poorly, but never got a chance to prove if he can or can't do it.

So in Wednesday's position what is the suggestion? We can't pay transfer fees and we can't go over on wages. The guy at Swansea - his wages we couldn't do. So where we go now the free agents market? They are usually without a club for a reason. Yes, in an ideal world, we can question a possible move for a Chelsea player who isn't bursting with league experience. This is not at all ideal. The situation we find ourselves in. So we have to attempt to cut cloth accordingly. Similar to one Craig Rocastle. Not blessed with matchplay talented. But he could contribute. And the collective contributions had us promoted under Sturrock when he played for us. Don't see many options jumping out of the page for us. Especially with other critical needs of strikers and a goalkeeper to get in. We won't be going big in on them either. 

1 minute ago, wmb said:

I genuinely think the majority of clubs don't have the financial means to be able to bring players in. I think the transfer market will be fairly quiet for the next 2 windows until clubs start to feel the benefit of matchday revenue etc.

I think this is the crux of it:

Most clubs are completely skint because of covid. 

Tbh, we've done ok getting four or five in. I think the potential starting XI is pretty good for League One, but the lack of any real depth is a concern. Keeper needs to be addressed. That would be my priority along with some sort of forward.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BRUCE LEE said:

Nothing is going to happen until the top tier fatten their squads and loosen up the players to cascade through to our dross level

This will go to the last week of the window

You are probably right.

The PL hasn't exactly being alight with loads of activity.

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I think this is the crux of it:

Most clubs are completely skint because of covid. 

Tbh, we've done ok getting four or five in. I think the potential starting XI is pretty good for League One, but the lack of any real depth is a concern. Keeper needs to be addressed. That would be my priority along with some sort of forward.

Agree, everyone is definitely seeing the financial impact of covid. That said, with no competent GK and no strikers whatsoever, our starting line up is poor in comparison. We can have plenty of the ball in midfield, look ok defensively, until a shot goes in on target. We know we are going to concede at least one goal in most games with the current squad and have almost no chance of scoring a goal, as has been born out in pre season so far. 

I think we need more, but if we can bring in at least a GK, an experienced striker and younger striker as back up, I think we can be competitive. Add to that a CB and another midfielder and I think we can challenge for the top 6.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, striker said:

Agree, everyone is definitely seeing the financial impact of covid. That said, with no competent GK and no strikers whatsoever, our starting line up is poor in comparison. We can have plenty of the ball in midfield, look ok defensively, until a shot goes in on target. We know we are going to concede at least one goal in most games with the current squad and have almost no chance of scoring a goal, as has been born out in pre season so far. 

I think we need more, but if we can bring in at least a GK, an experienced striker and younger striker as back up, I think we can be competitive. Add to that a CB and another midfielder and I think we can challenge for the top 6.

You might be right.

The big issue is a lack of quality at the key ends of the pitch.

Our midfield options might well be as good as any for this level, but will that matter if we've got no one to score and two keepers who giveaway cheap goals?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BRUCE LEE said:

Nothing is going to happen until the top tier fatten their squads and loosen up the players to cascade through to our dross level

This will go to the last week of the window

Always going to happen. The transfer window should be closed before the season starts — or at least it should be closed a lot earlier than the start of September, when EFL clubs and clubs in other European leagues are already half a dozen games in to their season. 

5 minutes ago, SiJ said:

You might be right.

The big issue is a lack of quality at the key ends of the pitch.

Our midfield options might well be as good as any for this level, but will that matter if we've got no one to score and two keepers who giveaway cheap goals?

Absolutely, spot on.

I'd back us against any team in this league with regard to midfield and defence, however at either end of the pitch, where games are won and lost, we literally have nothing. Yes, we can put people in those positions, but we all know it's a waste of time.

Edited by striker

37 minutes ago, basegreenowl said:

So in Wednesday's position what is the suggestion? We can't pay transfer fees and we can't go over on wages. The guy at Swansea - his wages we couldn't do. So where we go now the free agents market? They are usually without a club for a reason. Yes, in an ideal world, we can question a possible move for a Chelsea player who isn't bursting with league experience. This is not at all ideal. The situation we find ourselves in. So we have to attempt to cut cloth accordingly. Similar to one Craig Rocastle. Not blessed with matchplay talented. But he could contribute. And the collective contributions had us promoted under Sturrock when he played for us. Don't see many options jumping out of the page for us. Especially with other critical needs of strikers and a goalkeeper to get in. We won't be going big in on them either. 

Can't say that I share your views. For me there are options presenting themselves and we are not picking right ones, just like we didn't picked right one at Rocastle all those years ago and got promoted despite and not because of him. Accrington tried with Uwakwe and gave him chance, it didn't worked and they moved on at brought in players they think can do better. Our logic makes 0 sense (if he is supposed to be a first team player) as we look to bring in player who failed and wasn't good enough at Accrington and plan to play him in team with higher aspirations and  under much more pressure ?!