The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

If you remember back we also seem to sign players at the last minute,  is this DC saving on wages?

Like Dom Howson said any strikers are difficult to get over the line, doesn't mean we are not close. If you again look back some players have taken a couple of months before they sign.

With all the problems, Darren has done well to get 4 players in, he knows we need a goalkeeper and two strikers don't think he would be sitting back happy with the current squad.

I think Paterson will leave not really done anything this close season and we don't have a position for him

5 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I thought the league rules were only 21 players for the 2021/22 season to be reduced to 20 by the following season? Players under 20 are exempt from the total.

I tried looking it up and the picture is not as clear as it ought to be. So far as I can tell, there was a league AGM scheduled for last month where these things should have been settled. The suggestion before that was clubs in League One would be allowed squads of 22 senior outfield players with goalkeepers and those under the age of 21 not counting towards that total. There were also indications that rather than a salary cap, clubs would be able to spend up to 60% of their turnover on player salaries.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

39 players made at least one appearance for Chesterfield in the National League last season, with 27 of them playing at least 10 times. The days of teams relying on 20 senior players have been confined to the past, even in the lower divisions.

That doesn’t necessarily make for a successful team thought does it? United, when they got promoted, pretty much played the same players week in, week out in the league (21 players used & a few of those were quite sparingly). Leicester used 23 in their PL winning season, again a few quite sparingly.

Also, didn’t Chesterfield end up furloughing players when they were struggling to bring better players in?

Bigger squads come with their own problems at times as it’s harder to keep 30 players happy and involved. A tight group of c22 players can work just as well.

3 minutes ago, WUGGAMONKEY1 said:

That doesn’t necessarily make for a successful team thought does it? United, when they got promoted, pretty much played the same players week in, week out in the league (21 players used & a few of those were quite sparingly). Leicester used 23 in their PL winning season, again a few quite sparingly.

Also, didn’t Chesterfield end up furloughing players when they were struggling to bring better players in?

Bigger squads come with their own problems at times as it’s harder to keep 30 players happy and involved. A tight group of c22 players can work just as well.

Starting same 11 every week is usually a sign of good work under manager who knows what he is doing. 

Difference is that while United had squad full of talented players prove at League One level. We don't so will probably have to mix it around until we find our best 11.

2 minutes ago, malek said:

Starting same 11 every week is usually a sign of good work under manager who knows what he is doing. 

Difference is that while United had squad full of talented players prove at League One level. We don't so will probably have to mix it around until we find our best 11.

Agree on the first point. Not so sure I entirely agree on the second. Didn’t they have the much berated Leon Clarke for example? Were we referring to him as talented at the time? Yes, Wilder recruited well from the lower leagues but he also turned the fortunes of players that had been there for a while - i.e. Coutts.

Personally, I believe we have some talented players. We just a need a manager that can add to the group and get the best out of them.

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

But the ones that left barely played other than Reach and Harris.

The players who've left this summer made a combined 420 appearances for us last season (330 if we discount Reach and Harris) - unless we replace them, we're really going to struggle to make it through the season once injuries, illness, fatigue, poor form etc. start kicking in.

13 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The players who've left this summer made a combined 420 appearances for us last season (330 if we discount Reach and Harris) - unless we replace them, we're really going to struggle to make it through the season once injuries, illness, fatigue, poor form etc. start kicking in.

But only lees reach and harris were regular starters pelupessy got games when shaw seemed to be alienated from the starting 11.

1 hour ago, malek said:

Agreed, however Utd also had luck with injuries which is important if you want success. 

• Like 1

Thing is 95% of this current squad is out of contract in a years time so all this we don’t need this, we don’t need that. We could well need it sooner rather than later? I really don’t have a problem with the way we’ve gone about our business so far this summer.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

We'll have set aside different budgets for each position we want to fill, regardless of the fact that we're operating under EFL restrictions which may well limit the amount we're allowed to offer each player in the first place.

We know Moore is looking for a forward or two, and I'd be amazed if none are signed by the end of the transfer window, completely irrespective of the fact we've signed Hunt. 

Yeah, that bit in bold, that's not how it works. A club's wage budget is usually set in stone, what's fluid about it is how it is apportioned, which depends on who's available.  

Funny that from everything said by Moore we would have never known he was looking for a right back.

Guess with minimal funds being available by the owner, as we now have to be sustainable, it makes it even more a strange decision to sign a right back and deplete the budget.

1 minute ago, 0742 said:

Yeah, that bit in bold, that's not how it works. A club's wage budget is usually set in stone, what's fluid about it is how it is apportioned, which depends on who's available.  

Funny that from everything said by Moore we would have never known he was looking for a right back.

Guess with minimal funds being available by the owner, as we now have to be sustainable, it makes it even more a strange decision to sign a right back and deplete the budget.

You really don't think the recruitment team will have planned ahead and set aside certain amounts of the budget for each position they want to recruit? 

I bloody hope they have, as that's a pretty basic starting point when looking to recruit several positions at once!

And that's assuming we're operating as normal, of course. There seems to be some doubts as to how much freedom we have in terms of offering wages to new signings, due to possible EFL restrictions.

Ultimately, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I see Hunt as a good signing at this moment in time; you don't.

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

You really don't think the recruitment team will have planned ahead and set aside certain amounts of the budget for each position they want to recruit? 

I bloody hope they have, as that's a pretty basic starting point when looking to recruit several positions at once!

And that's assuming we're operating as normal, of course. There seems to be some doubts as to how much freedom we have in terms of offering wages to new signings, due to possible EFL restrictions.

Ultimately, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I see Hunt as a good signing at this moment in time; you don't.

Again the bit in bold is not how it works. I can't actually see the logic in it either to be honest mate. I mean say a forward comes up who's 5k a week over the supposed set budget, then a right back comes available 5k under budget, what you're suggesting is we'd not sign the forward. From my knowledge, it is overall wage budget that matters, rather than setting specific budgets per position.

I don't actually disagree about hunt being a good signing in terms of quality of player, but when we are struggling finance wise I still believe his wages should have been spent elsewhere. We didn't need him. 

10 minutes ago, 0742 said:

Again the bit in bold is not how it works. I can't actually see the logic in it either to be honest mate. I mean say a forward comes up who's 5k a week over the supposed set budget, then a right back comes available 5k under budget, what you're suggesting is we'd not sign the forward. From my knowledge, it is overall wage budget that matters, rather than setting specific budgets per position.

I don't actually disagree about hunt being a good signing in terms of quality of player, but when we are struggling finance wise I still believe his wages should have been spent elsewhere. We didn't need him. 

I'm just going on how every multi-position recruitment process I've ever been involved in over the years has worked - we'd have set parameters for the different profiles of staff we were looking for, and would look to recruit to those.

Obviously if the best fit for a certain position is available under budget, then by all means take the excess and put it where you think it might make the most difference - that makes sense. 

But don't just charge in with no forward planning or precise overview of the whole process. Otherwise, you could end up in a situation where you suddenly realise you've spent all the budget and still haven't recruited one of the positions you were looking to fill.

I'm glad we agree on Hunt's quality - there are no guarantees in football of course, but in my eyes he's a clear upgrade on Palmer at right wing-back, and allows the latter to shift across to the left, where he's actually looked more assured for some reason, or even into a back three if needed.

And that's a best-case scenario. One injury to Palmer or Brown, and we'll definitely be glad we signed Hunt.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 0742 said:

I think we’ve done well to get a player of his quality in League 1 and I understand your argument that it’s a position that didn’t seem a priority to strengthen this summer and neither DM nor the local reporters had indicated that it was.

What we don’t know of course is whether other circumstances have driven the decision, have we received a bid for Palmer, has he indicated he’d like to go, in which case DM has said you can go if we get a replacement. It would make financial sense to accept a bid now given he’s now in the last year of his contract.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Otherwise, you could end up in a situation where you suddenly realise you've spent all the budget and still haven't recruited one of the positions you were looking to fill.

Who would have thought that spending £10m on a seventh forward, probably taking us over the three year FFP limits when we had greater needs in central midfield and defence wouldn't work out very well? :dry:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, DJMortimer said:

Who would have thought that spending £10m on a seventh forward, probably taking us over the three year FFP limits when we had greater needs in central midfield and defence wouldn't work out very well? :dry:

Great point.

I'm hoping against hope the current recruitment team are being allowed enough freedom to avert such obvious disasters this time around.

The signs are that Moore and co. have a decent grasp of where we need to strengthen, at least.

• Like 1