The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

Don’t get me wrong, we’re absolutely stumped for options up top and he’s better than anything we currently have , but Sam Vokes exactly what we need ?  

Am not too sure that’s a signing I’d get excited about away from him been a slight better option than Paterson who I don’t rate as a striker whatsoever,   absolutely woeful last few times saw him play for Stoke 

8 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Don’t get me wrong, we’re absolutely stumped for options up top and he’s better than anything we currently have , but Sam Vokes exactly what we need ?  

Am not too sure that’s a signing I’d get excited about away from him been a slight better option than Paterson who I don’t rate as a striker whatsoever,   absolutely woeful last few times saw him play for Stoke 

He can hold it up and win flick ons unlike Paterson. We need a focal point up top and have done ever since we let Fletcher and Nuhiu go. Can’t think of many better available options than Vokes.

18 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

He can hold it up and win flick ons unlike Paterson. We need a focal point up top and have done ever since we let Fletcher and Nuhiu go. Can’t think of many better available options than Vokes.

That’s why I said exactly what we need in THESE circumstances? We ain’t gona get any better I don’t think as a target man? As long as we get some legs up there with him I’d feel more confident than Paterson? Unless any body can think of any one else? Only other option I can think of and might have chance of getting is Matt Smith from millwall? Getting on but still does a job and right hand full

1 hour ago, basegreenowl said:

Central Midfielder. But can play left wing and even has played left wing back. 6ft too, and 21. Been at Chelsea since he was 8 so they must see some ongoing development...

Chelsea just harvest hundreds of kids at a very young age. It's like a factory production line but very few of them succeed there.

Lewis Baker has been at Chelsea since he was 9. He's still there 17 years on, yet has never played a game for them. He's been on loan to 8 different clubs including us. I wonder why no club has tried to sign him permanently.

It's a bit concerning though that Uwakwe couldn't get many starts for Accrington.

7 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

should we be concerned that Accrington didn’t think he warranted a starting place very often last season? 

Possibly, but young players at that age can be like chalk and cheese in terms of their development one seasom to the next, hopefully that experience will help him. 

The situation we are in is gambling  on  young players who are about to have their break out season, we can't afford all players who are already on the radar and have had that season under their belts, especially in L1 with our other wage commitments.

It is a gamble, however we've seen their games played to date and had a good look at them on trial, that's about as much due diligence as we can do in the market we're shopping in.

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, striker said:

Possibly, but young players at that age can be like chalk and cheese in terms of their development one seasom to the next, hopefully that experience will help him. 

The situation we are in is gambling  on  young players who are about to have their break out season, we can't afford all players who are already on the radar and have had that season under their belts, especially in L1 with our other wage commitments.

It is a gamble, however we've seen their games played to date and had a good look at them on trial, that's about as much due diligence as we can do in the market we're shopping in.

This - for every gamble that succeeds there most likely is one that doesn't. But, you would expect two gambles cost less than one proven player. We used to be really good at picking up players that for one reason or another had points to prove and were undervalued. Thinking Lees, Lee, Westwood, Hutchinson, Bannan.... arguably our most influential players of past 5 or so years were all picked up for next to nothing and played the best football of their careers with us. 

Can we find the next batch of players.   

• Like 2

8 hours ago, basegreenowl said:

Central Midfielder. But can play left wing and even has played left wing back. 6ft too, and 21. Been at Chelsea since he was 8 so they must see some ongoing development...

Flowed logic as over the years there were hundreds of youngsters that spent decade or more at Chelsea and than dropped out to non league level or out of game all together.

He was on loan at Accrington and did little there. By all reports they didn't try to bring him in on permanent deal this Summer but turned to other players released from likes of Liverpool (Coyle & Hardy ), Blackburn's Ben Pleavin, etc...

Accringtom largely "lives of" signing and improving ex PL2 players and can spot good ones. They had mighty good look at Uwakwe and decided that he is not good enough to play first team football there and that they can bring in better on free transfer.

• Like 2

I’d rather judge a player on their ability rather than if they were or weren’t wanted by another club. Far too many examples of players that weren’t fancied by one club and went on to better things. Wimbledon having a “good look” at Urhoghide over his time there didn’t work out too well for them.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, malek said:

Flowed logic as over the years there were hundreds of youngsters that spent decade or more at Chelsea and than dropped out to non league level or out of game all together.

He was on loan at Accrington and did little there. By all reports they didn't try to bring him in on permanent deal this Summer but turned to other players released from likes of Liverpool (Coyle & Hardy ), Blackburn's Ben Pleavin, etc...

Accringtom largely "lives of" signing and improving ex PL2 players and can spot good ones. They had mighty good look at Uwakwe and decided that he is not good enough to play first team football there and that they can bring in better on free transfer.

Agree about the flawed logic. Ex Prem academy doesn't = Lower league success. The good news here is Moore is taking is time and having a real good look at both Uwakwe and Jasper. He will have had nearly 3 weeks with them on the training pitch so will have a good feel as to whether they can add something to the squad. It's good to see such a considered approach to this type of signing as opposed to plunging for the first available player. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, EcclesallOwl said:

I’d rather judge a player on their ability rather than if they were or weren’t wanted by another club. Far too many examples of players that weren’t fancied by one club and went on to better things. Wimbledon having a “good look” at Urhoghide over his time there didn’t work out too well for them.

So, your logic is to never look at how well (or not) player did at another clubs before deciding if you want us to sign him ? What to base your opinion on than ?!

You named Urhoghide as an example of a player we signed who was unwanted by club at level below us that turned good enough. I can name you hundreds that didn't. And it is not that Urhoghide did poorly, but never got a chance to prove if he can or can't do it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, malek said:

So, your logic is to never look at how well (or not) player did at another clubs before deciding if you want us to sign him ? What to base your opinion on than ?!

You named Urhoghide as an example of a player we signed who was unwanted by club at level below us that turned good enough. I can name you hundreds that didn't. And it is not that Urhoghide did poorly, but never got a chance to prove if he can or can't do it.

You can look at how they did but to write someone off based on how that went, especially at a young age, is madness.

In all honesty there’s very little you can go on for young players; if they show even the slightest glimpse of talent then you have to take a punt, so I’m happy to go with Moore’s judgement and hope for the best.

Obviously the default opinion will be to say they’re not good enough because they normally aren’t.