The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

4 minutes ago, EcclesallOwl said:

You can look at how they did but to write someone off based on how that went, especially at a young age, is madness.

In all honesty there’s very little you can go on for young players; if they show even the slightest glimpse of talent then you have to take a punt, so I’m happy to go with Moore’s judgement and hope for the best.

Obviously the default opinion will be to say they’re not good enough because they normally aren’t.

Cheers, that is a good replay.

If we are looking to sign him hope it will be for U-23 side in order to develop and improve him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, malek said:

Cheers, that is a good replay.

If we are looking to sign him hope it will be for U-23 side in order to develop and improve him.

If Moore thinks we can develop him further then so be it. We need to be savvy with finances, some will work and we can cash in in them then reinvest. Its a logical and pragmatic strategy, that is cheaper than splashing cash on aging players. Something we should have done years ago.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, malek said:

So, your logic is to never look at how well (or not) player did at another clubs before deciding if you want us to sign him ? What to base your opinion on than ?!

You named Urhoghide as an example of a player we signed who was unwanted by club at level below us that turned good enough. I can name you hundreds that didn't. And it is not that Urhoghide did poorly, but never got a chance to prove if he can or can't do it.

How are we supposed to find 'the next Kieran Lee' if we don't even look?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

How are we supposed to find 'the next Kieran Lee' if we don't even look?

TBF there is a big difference in looking at a player who struggled to hold down a place at Accrington , and Kieran Lee who , at the time we signed him had just won player of the year at Oldham.

1 minute ago, Screen Door Slams said:

TBF there is a big difference in looking at a player who struggled to hold down a place at Accrington , and Kieran Lee who , at the time we signed him had just won player of the year at Oldham.

Yes.  Now we have to look harder as we aren't allowed to actually pay any fees for players.

6 minutes ago, Screen Door Slams said:

We didn`t pay a fee for Lee.

True.  He rejected a contract at his current club in order to sign for us though.

Can't imagine many players doing that these days.

We are almost entirely fishing in the pond of 'players that have been rejected elsewhere'.

3 minutes ago, Screen Door Slams said:

Absolutely.

Now in League One we can afford to give serious playing time to young players with little experience and lot of talent. Sadly FA fu*ked us up for Canshiri's mistakes again and we can't afford to even pay compensation fees for out of contract youngsters who would come here in search of first team football and must focus on those that got released as their clubs deducted that no one would pay penny for them.

Meanwhile our supposed promotion rivals Portsmouth are looking into signing Ben Thompson from MIllwall who would right away be one of the best players at this level.

I believe there is a new, younger Kieran Lee with lots of League One experience and available for modest fee. But again, we can't afford to pay even that.

When will FA learn to punish club owners that are breaking the rules rather than fans and football clubs that suffer under them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

We also brought Kieran Lee in as a full back too to start with by the way then got lucky he was decent as emergency cover at RM before we ended up playing him at CM.

Didn't Palmer start as a CM for us as well before reverting to RB?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

Didn't Palmer start as a CM for us as well before reverting to RB?

He started out as right winger for our U-18's, played DM during his season long loan at Tranmere and got converted to RB when he got chance here.

14 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Chelsea really need players to add to their 80 man squad. 

This ^ I worked with a Chelsea fan up until recently and he didn’t know some of the players in their squad (didn’t know they were Chelsea players and didn’t know who they were).  What a world to live in 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

This ^ I worked with a Chelsea fan up until recently and he didn’t know some of the players in their squad (didn’t know they were Chelsea players and didn’t know who they were).  What a world to live in 

Lewis Baker is STILL with Chelsea and is approaching 27. 

It’s so wrong really. 

• Like 3

Seems like a lot of clubs are struggling to get players through the door.

We still need four or five imo, but the market still seems quite flat. I wonder if we will see a load of last minute panic buying as clubs realise they're massively short. Either that or everyone is waiting for someone to blink first and kick start the whole thing.

• Like 1

Just now, SiJ said:

Seems like a lot of clubs are struggling to get players through the door.

We still need four or five imo, but the market still seems quite flat. I wonder if we will see a load of last minute panic buying as clubs realise they're massively short. Either that or everyone is waiting for someone to blink first and kick start the whole thing.

I genuinely think the majority of clubs don't have the financial means to be able to bring players in. I think the transfer market will be fairly quiet for the next 2 windows until clubs start to feel the benefit of matchday revenue etc.

• Like 1