I’d rather draw 0-0 with Stoke..

Guest Therealrealist

15 hours ago, Hitcat said:

Good for you. I'm far less proud knowing we made no attempt to even try to beat Stoke. 

Yes we did. They had scored 20 goals in the previous 5 games or something. Part of winning is not conceding. We did that bit and tried to nick a goal. We had better chances than them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

2 points out of a possible 9, is not what was required though. No games are easy in this division, but we will need to win games against some of them, if we are to hope to avoid the drop

If windass doesn’t get sent off no way we lose that game I’ll ask again 

what was required and who do you think would have delivered better with the players available 

• Like 1

Just now, fpowl said:

what was required and who do you think would have delivered better with the players available 

We’ve three winnable games in next 6. If we can get 9 or more points from next 6 we’ll be in good standing and hopefully out of bottom three. 

I don’t get the clamour to play expansive football or the demand on beating better teams with better players and better managers that are in better form. 

Our aim is fourth from bottom anything else is a bonus! So we don’t need to win every game, just more than Wycombe and two others! 

13 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

We’ve three winnable games in next 6. If we can get 9 or more points from next 6 we’ll be in good standing and hopefully out of bottom three. 

I don’t get the clamour to play expansive football or the demand on beating better teams with better players and better managers that are in better form. 

Our aim is fourth from bottom anything else is a bonus! So we don’t need to win every game, just more than Wycombe and two others! 

My point exactly 

we need to keep us in distance of that 21st spot if we can climb out of it even better 

let’s get the players back we have fit again and add that extra bit In January to see us over the line hopefully we can start looking at mid table rather than just safety 

no way I’m expecting mid table with our current crop of available players so nicking points is a bonus 

• Love 1

25 minutes ago, fpowl said:

All imponderables really, we don’t know whether we’d have got a point at Preston, and no idea whether any other manager would have achieved better results with more positive tactics. The facts are, 2 points out of a possible 9, is not the sort of form that will help us avoid relegation.

• Like 1

I thought the game against Stoke was a solid defensive display.  

I knew we would not concede.  Prior to Pulis coming in, we were getting carved open far too often especially against teams like Luton. 

What I have seen under TP is that our defence is much more organised now and much harder to break down.  

From a defensive viewpoint, you could argue that Pulis has started to plug the leaks in what could only be described as a sinking ship under Monk.  

From an attacking viewpoint, we were poor to say the least.  I think a lot of that is down to the number of quality attacking players we have, I'm sure though with time, with a new approach and strategy and probably with a couple of new signings in January, we will get scoring again.  

18 hours ago, Andrew6666 said:

Pulis ball, it's going to be awful. I just hope he gets a win soon, because we've all suffered enough already in lockdown without having to put up with performances like today. 

Doesnt matter so much whilst the fans are not in the ground,can always not watch ifollow....when the fans are allowed back,will be the real test..

People want entertaining,and wont want to pay good money and see no  goals,and possession football...

Want attacking fast flowing football,and plenty of goal action....not sideways passing & back to the GK.

5 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

It’s a novel idea but we could try a more attacking approach than that chosen by Jos, Monk and Pulis. Yesterday we finished the game with 3 right-backs, 3 centre backs, 4 midfielders and no strikers in a home game we “needed” to win

With the squad we have, if we had opened up against both Swansea and Stoke we would have lost both game's heavily.

Is that what you want?.

We have to do what it takes to stay in touch of staying up, till January, when we, hopefully , can improve the attacking side of the game with new players.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

All imponderables really, we don’t know whether we’d have got a point at Preston, and no idea whether any other manager would have achieved better results with more positive tactics. The facts are, 2 points out of a possible 9, is not the sort of form that will help us avoid relegation.

I predict we won’t pull any trees up until January then start having more of a threat on games 

think having windass back will be a big win and iorfa when he’s fit again 

but we will average just over a point a game until January 

but we will stay up this year 

50 minutes ago, parajack said:

Doesnt matter so much whilst the fans are not in the ground,can always not watch ifollow....when the fans are allowed back,will be the real test..

People want entertaining,and wont want to pay good money and see no  goals,and possession football...

Want attacking fast flowing football,and plenty of goal action....not sideways passing & back to the GK.

Fully agree. TP needs a win soon or fans will start to doubt him and hate the style.

I sound anti-Pulis but I'm not, he wasn't my first choice but it is what it is.

Each manager is judged on results and style of play, at the moment both seem dire and no better than what we've been served up the last few years.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

This is like being married to someone who is a lazy, alcoholic, drug taking cheat and who’s let themselves go since the “big day”. You rightly get divorced but make the mistake of marrying someone who is an alcoholic, drug taking cheat who lets themselves go immediately after the “big day”   When asked how the new marriage is going you reply, “Fine. At least they’re not lazy”

Err, no it isn't. 

6 minutes ago, Prendo's boots said:

We're only 3 games in jeez...and but for Windass kicking that blokes head off we may well have drawn that game too and been unbeaten under Pulis...come on give it a bit of time yeah?? 

But he did, and we lost Had he not done that, and we’d secured a point, at a ground where everyone else gets three, it’s still only 3 points from 9, nowhere near good enough to keep us up

Just now, gurujuan said:

But he did, and we lost Had he not done that, and we’d secured a point, at a ground where everyone else gets three, it’s still only 3 points from 9, nowhere near good enough to keep us up

yeah but we are playing better ....we look a solid team  now in 2 thirds of the pitch .......obviously we need some punch up front but that would be the case no matter who was in charge 

• Haha 1

Guest LondonOwl313
6 hours ago, fpowl said:

I predict we won’t pull any trees up until January then start having more of a threat on games 

think having windass back will be a big win and iorfa when he’s fit again 

but we will average just over a point a game until January 

but we will stay up this year 

Look at the fixtures once the next two are done.. if we’re waiting for mid January when signings start coming in to win games we could be down already. Nine games we can attempt to win in a row after Norwich so hoping Pulis has a plan to score with the squad we have in those games

5 minutes ago, torryowl said:

yeah but we are playing better ....we look a solid team  now in 2 thirds of the pitch .......obviously we need some punch up front but that would be the case no matter who was in charge 

Granted, we do, but is that at the expense of trying to win? I can’t fault the performance against Swansea, we were away from home, against a very tough opponent, and we took the game to them. 
Wasn’t the case against Preston and Stoke though

Guest LondonOwl313
3 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Look at the fixtures once the next two are done.. if we’re waiting for mid January when signings start coming in to win games we could be down already. Nine games we can attempt to win in a row after Norwich so hoping Pulis has a plan to score with the squad we have in those games

To put it in perspective.. 9 games time and we’re halfway through the season so 25 points is the marker for 50. Would still feel pretty confident given the deduction if we can get to 25 from 25, then we’d need 25 from the last 21 which should be doable.

So need 17 points from the next 11 games.

Need to beat the likes of Barnsley, Wycombe, Coventry (twice), then one of Derby/Forest/Huddersfield.. that would be 5 wins. Then a couple of bore draws against the likes of Reading, Norwich, Boro and Blackburn to get to 17.

The idea that we can be toothless and not win games until January is flawed because we’d be down already.. the games between now and mid jan will determine whether we stay up or not and have to have a way of beating the weaker teams consistently 

Guest LondonOwl313
21 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Well last season we lost at Swansea and Preston and this year we got a point.. last season we beat stoke at home 1-0 and this season they’re a stronger team so only drew. The season won’t be determined by the last 3 games.. it will he determined against the dross.

This season so far we’ve played 14 games and apart from the 3 game Luton, Rotherham Wycombe debacle we’re about par for the course.. 6 points from them which is what you’d expect with a competent manager and ignoring the points deduction we’d be on 20 and solidly mid table.

If Pulis repeats that against them when we play all the weak sides again next month then we’re screwed.. will reserve judgment on the style of play and stuff until we see whether we can get wins where it matters against these teams