I’d rather draw 0-0 with Stoke..

Guest Therealrealist

20 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Just how were we going to win that game when we have no one capable of scoring goals?.

It’s a novel idea but we could try a more attacking approach than that chosen by Jos, Monk and Pulis. Yesterday we finished the game with 3 right-backs, 3 centre backs, 4 midfielders and no strikers in a home game we “needed” to win

1 hour ago, Dunkstar said:

It's not been pretty for nigh on four years. 

With this squad the only way to have any chance to win games is keep it tight and try to nick a goal. TP knows this, so this is it at least until January.

Best get used to it.

Thankfully I don’t have to. It’s the sole benefit of Covid. I’ll watch the Sky games but there’s no way I’m shelling out extra money to watch anything more until the fag end of the season if there are important games. .

Pulis drained the Boro fans’ patience with his style of play with much better players so it’s nowt new. And I’m well aware it’s been pretty dull since CC season 1. All the more reason to want something different.  I understand people lauding him for winning a point and wanting ultra functional football but it’s just not why I watch football anymore. I’m not wrong and neither are Pulis advocates. It’s just down to individual personal taste. 

It’s next season I’m worried about given I’ve already shelled out for it. I’d be sorely tempted to join the away fan good day out brigade/mob and pack in watching drudgery at Hillsborough. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Depends, with appointments like Monk and Pulis, I really don’t expect us to achieve very much. Probably like most, to accrue enough points to stay up, and to achieve that, we will need to actually win games Draws will not keep us up

So who do you think we should have got where your expectation level with the squad and fit players at their disposable we should of picked up more points away to Swansea and and then 3 days later Stoke who played at home 4 days prior 

think pulis needs credit and trying to pick faults at the results given wheat he’s working with and inherited is just dillusional 

We’re in trouble with this squad snd can’t do anything with it until January abs even that is a horrific window to try and rebuild a squad 

1 minute ago, fpowl said:

So who do you think we should have got where your expectation level with the squad and fit players at their disposable we should of picked up more points away to Swansea and and then 3 days later Stoke who played at home 4 days prior 

think pulis needs credit and trying to pick faults at the results given wheat he’s working with and inherited is just dillusional 

We’re in trouble with this squad snd can’t do anything with it until January abs even that is a horrific window to try and rebuild a squad 

I know what you mean, but if we accept that we can’t expect Pulis to do any better with this squad, than Monk, then what is the point of the appointment. As you say, the January window is notoriously difficult to turn things around. The whole point of the Pulis appointment though, is that we did expect him to do better with this squad That was why he was appointed surely? 
I don’t think Pulis is the type of manager who will revolutionise the way we play, and build an exciting future for the club. What I hope he is though, is somebody who can pick up enough points to help us beat the drop, and to do that, he will need wins. We can’t afford to wait until January for him to start winning games

• Thanks 1

It’s not about drawing with Stoke that’s the issue 

It’s how this team play and what they’re capable of 

We won’t stay up in a million years.

Pulis will change us into a more solid, direct team,

but we won’t even be good enough at shithousing to stay up 

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

I know what you mean, but if we accept that we can’t expect Pulis to do any better with this squad, than Monk, then what is the point of the appointment. As you say, the January window is notoriously difficult to turn things around. The whole point of the Pulis appointment though, is that we did expect him to do better with this squad That was why he was appointed surely? 
I don’t think Pulis is the type of manager who will revolutionise the way we play, and build an exciting future for the club. What I hope he is though, is somebody who can pick up enough points to help us beat the drop, and to do that, he will need wins. We can’t afford to wait until January for him to start winning games

I think pulis has done considerably better I dread to think what results and performance monk would have turned out 

pulis has done all that anyone could have done and made us difficult to beat he recognises the need to recruit the offensive side of things and 

Hes made us hard to beat and is working with very poor options to win games January can’t come quick enough 

and if pulis has kept us in reach of 21st or better by then the man need ms credit 

no no way would we be in this position if pulis was recruited in the summer and that’s the difference of the appointment 

54 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

It’s a novel idea but we could try a more attacking approach than that chosen by Jos, Monk and Pulis. Yesterday we finished the game with 3 right-backs, 3 centre backs, 4 midfielders and no strikers in a home game we “needed” to win

It’s not exactly Bielsa Ball. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, fpowl said:

I think pulis has done considerably better I dread to think what results and performance monk would have turned out 

pulis has done all that anyone could have done and made us difficult to beat he recognises the need to recruit the offensive side of things and 

Hes made us hard to beat and is working with very poor options to win games January can’t come quick enough 

and if pulis has kept us in reach of 21st or better by then the man need ms credit 

no no way would we be in this position if pulis was recruited in the summer and that’s the difference of the appointment 

2 points out of a possible 9, is not what was required though. No games are easy in this division, but we will need to win games against some of them, if we are to hope to avoid the drop

13 minutes ago, fpowl said:

pulis has done all that anyone could have done and made us difficult to beat

We could’ve started today’s game in an attacking 4-3-3 Wildsmith Palmer Lees Borner Van Aken Luongo Brown Bannan Kachunga Rhodes Harris. No idea if we’d have faired better or not but I’m just pointing out that there are other ways. Love or hate Pulis please understand that it is relatively easy to organise a team to be be solid and safety first. It is much harder to organise a team to be hard to beat and offensive. 

Guest Bulgaria

I find it incredible that we haven't got any strikers we can pluck from our entire football club that could at least offer some pace, ability and sniff a few chances out.

It's a travesty to be honest.  I mean what the hell do our coaches do or have been doing for the last 4 years.

A professional football club that doesn't have one single striker on the books that can offer some pace, ability and an eye for goal!!!!   It's really not a lot to ask is it?   

3 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

I find it incredible that we haven't got any strikers we can pluck from our entire football club that could at least offer some pace, ability and sniff a few chances out.

It's a travesty to be honest.  I mean what the hell do our coaches do or have been doing for the last 4 years.

A professional football club that doesn't have one single striker on the books that can offer some pace, ability and an eye for goal!!!!   It's really not a lot to ask is it?   

It’s beyond belief, yes

Guest Bulgaria
1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

It’s beyond belief, yes

It's not like we are wanting Harry Kane or Marcus Rashford,  even one of the youngsters, academy player......ANYONE, who plays up front and who can chase some balls and trouble defenses.

I remember a lad who was brought in years ago O'Neil Donaldson I think his name was, youngster, played up top, he was raw but troubled the opposition and bagged a couple.  A club of our size that doesn't have ANYONE who they can stick up top to see what he can do is annoying beyond belief.

14 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

Than lose 0-1 to Luton..get hammered at rovrum and lose at Wycombe..so all the anti Pulis merchants..get a grip and have a 5hink b4 you post yer bumf😬

14 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Some lingering bitterness been worked out of the system, I wonder.

He does have a point though. I believe we’d have lost heavily against Stoke if Monk was still in charge. Pulis is no miracle worker. He knows what to do but needs time to do it. 

3 minutes ago, shandypants said:

He does have a point though. I believe we’d have lost heavily against Stoke if Monk was still in charge. Pulis is no miracle worker. He knows what to do but needs time to do it. 

To be honest its obvious what we are missing any maanger could spot the problem.  We need decent forwards and we need the funds to get them on board.  Monk was probably working with peanuts, hope Pulis is allowed coconuts.  

13 hours ago, pat blondeau said:

I think I’d rather lose 2-3 or 2-4 if I watched a game and it looked like we had a plan of where goals are going to come from.

I didn’t want Pulis but I’m not anti Pulis. The squad is poor as we know but I’d have liked to have seen a change in the style of play. The 3 performances under Pulis have just carried on Monkball. We’ve only had 2 shots on target in 3 games under Pulis.

And what he did to Rhodes today was bad management 

What wanting to win?  These are highly paid adults  if  they not doing  what is required then I'm all for hauling them back off, yes Rhodes won't be happy and if he that upset  then  he can always right off his expense contract and we can get a proper striker in Jan  

5 hours ago, gurujuan said:

The logic is, if we continue like this until Pulis can make the necessary changes, say, if we’re lucky, by mid January, it may be too late. Twenty points by the half way stage, would need us to put together the sort of winning run in the new year, which I don’t think we’d be capable of. Unless we have an amazing window and signed a couple of top strikers early, something that looks beyond us, it will continue to be a case of grinding out results. We’d then be in a situation where we might need to win 50% of our games, a tall order with this squad. Somehow, we do need to start winning games now, it’s no good waiting until January. As I’ve mentioned, I was no fan of Monk at all, but what is the point in bringing in somebody who will only average the same 1pt per game as Monk did? Pulis was hired because people believe that he is the one who would get the most out of what he has available. So in that regard, this start is not acceptable is it?

We’ve played two better teams, in better form with better players and arguably better managers. 

Judge the performances vs Coventry, Rotherham, Wycombe, Barnsley, Luton etc they are games against teams that are on our level/in our battle. Saying we must or should beat top 6 teams is a tad naive of the situation and football in general. 

We just need to finish fourth from bottom and we’re on track to do that despite a horrible start.