I’d rather draw 0-0 with Stoke..

Guest Therealrealist

I'd like to win one....... maybe if we arnt acting like we can't defend and use the team as a wall in front of goal. Look at this season's stats. Rotherham scored 3 against us a few scored 2 but we have not been scoring. So we have lost by one goal other than Rotherham. 8 out of the 14 games we haven't scored at all. No threat up front means lots of pressure and you will leak goals. We need balance. And are current squad need more chances to score a goal not less. Draws are going to be the enemy if you look at how many points we need to make up. No possession means all the play nearly is in our half. It's a gamble to just try and knick a win.... wildsmith with Palmer Lee's Borner and penny. Iorfa and flint when fit. And Luongo in front of them should be good enough without everyone getting back for every attack. Then Bannan with Harris and odobajo or reach and Patterson with Rhodes up front (until January) then bring in a striker and winger if possible. The team till then should be good enough for at least just below mid table. Above relegation zone anyway. Coached to be organised and with balance. Right now nobody will score against us.... but we have no chance of getting out of this.

We are building the right way and it is  slow yes, but i believe we will get there TP is  no mug and he knows the score  ,happy with how things are progressing, Defence is shaping up ,, just need the flair players to start and perform , and to bring the illusive strikers in  to hopefully score the goals needed 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Monk got 4 points out of a possible 6 in his last two games 

Seriously? What about the 20 games before that?

Don't know if you're deliberately posting all this pro Monk guff just to generate more posts, if so, it's working. Congratulations. 

If you fervently believe Monk was doing a grand job, well heaven help you.

• Like 2

on paper the stoke squad is way better than us. look through there squad and see they have goals in many players . we have 1in 10 at best players ,what did monk expect when you sign players with those stats? the whole recruitment team needs to go too and well as scrapping the u23s and u18s and start again next season get a proper academy man in ,we did have one and he went a few years ago to america. lee bullen is a top bloke but we aint a charity he needs to leave . toney pulis will not believe how hard the job is and the mess the club is in. 

• Like 3

I've said in several posts already that Pulis would nit have been my ideal choice when replacing Monk. However if I owned Wednesday and my main aim was to avoid relegation this season, i may well have appointed him.

Like most managers appointed (think Allardyce and Warnock) to save struggling teams (and we clearly are) the first thing they look to improve is the defensive shape. Make themselves harder to beat, losing games breads a lack of confidence and belief. I would suggest it's also harder to transform a teams attacking prowess without being able to bring in new players. And let's be honest, we haven't really been an attacking threat for several seasons.

So, yes I can understand people's dismay at our style but hopefully it's a step in the right direction. January will be key. It ain't gonna be like watching Brazil but he's the manager of our club now so let's try and support his efforts while he's trying to improve us.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

But we only used to get draws against the better teams when Carlos was here and we had good players.

Coco Carvalhal wouldn't have had a hope of doing anything with this lot.

i went to stoke on boxing day and the team we had was better than yesterdays on paper , im still shocked how stoke didnt get 10 that day ,we were 3rd they were bottom that day they murdered us ,the 3-2 defeat dont tell the story of the game . if coco was in charge of that ramble we have we would have had a hammering yesterday ,stoke have been scoring loads this season , us the complete opposite . all pulis he is able to do is scape points , we aint got any players to turn games , we aint got any diamonds coming through our awful youth systems who could play , the lad shaw is ok if he can improve then he will be a regular squad player apart from that none should even be on the bench , you cant be bottom of u23 league and expect to get anywhere near 1st team squad surely not.

• Like 2

Any point is a good point. We do need to start turning some draws into wins though which goes without saying. 

People hate playing against a Pulis side and it’s not easy on the eye but effective as it’s disruptive.

Defensively we aren’t looking too bad and that’s without the likes of Iorfa, Dunkley and Flint. I bet Pulis can’t wait until January to sort out up top and out wide. 

• Like 3

Pullis isn’t a magician. Monk and Chansiri have already cost us relegation imo.

We need wins, draws are no good. Pullis seems to have instilled some steel and structure but he can’t pull a goalscorer out of his back pocket.

Edited by GMOwl72
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Of course, but because we lost those games, we need to win games like these. Draws won’t save us

9 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Neither of which are good enough

but it’s a start. 

shore up the defence and build from there. 

if we don’t concede we don’t lose. 

19 minutes ago, morganowl said:

i went to stoke on boxing day and the team we had was better than yesterdays on paper , im still shocked how stoke didnt get 10 that day ,we were 3rd they were bottom that day they murdered us ,the 3-2 defeat dont tell the story of the game . if coco was in charge of that ramble we have we would have had a hammering yesterday ,stoke have been scoring loads this season , us the complete opposite . all pulis he is able to do is scape points , we aint got any players to turn games , we aint got any diamonds coming through our awful youth systems who could play , the lad shaw is ok if he can improve then he will be a regular squad player apart from that none should even be on the bench , you cant be bottom of u23 league and expect to get anywhere near 1st team squad surely not.

Exactly.

For whatever reason after being in a strong position 12 months ago, the last 12 months have been absolute carnage.

I don’t think it’s particularly one persons fault but everyone involved with the club over the last 12 months have to take their fair share of the responsibility for this.

The transition from the squad that performed so well for CC started under SB. SB leaving when he did put us behind the 8 ball a bit. GM did his best but he’s not a very good manager particularly when it comes to building sides which was a requirement of the job he inherited but given the fact he doesn’t stay at a club longer than two minutes, he didn’t have the track record for this job and should never been appointed and this one is on DC IMO?

We’re in a mess and staring relegation to League 1 for the third time in 18 years in the face. We now have a manager who will do the dirty work to make sure this doesn’t happen. Yes it won’t be pretty, Yes there will be posters on here slagging him off after every game even when we win but make no mistake we’re in the same sh!t now that we were in when Megson took over when we were struggling in League in 2011.

Megson had his critics just like Pulis but he got the job done IMO even though it was DJ that got us promoted back to the championship. Without Megson’s work that promotion simply doesn’t happen.

Now Pulis is swimming against the tide until January. Where Megson initially had to sort out the defence with the signings of Jones and Batth, Pulis has to make these kind of signings in the forward department but has to wait until January. We have to make do and mend the best we can until then.

I’d love us to see play attractive football and win games but it’s not going to happen and we have to accept the fact we now have a manager who has a way of working that’s not palatable to all but is perhaps necessary for where we are now and perhaps where we want to go in the future. Let’s face it, the most successful sides at this level for the last two decades have been in the main pragmatic and pragmatism is the watchword for Pulis style of play.

FWIW I believe he’ll be successful here but if some in here don’t then fair enough. Let’s face it there were posters on here who thought Monk was doing a great job so that in a nutshell says it all for the quality of opinions on here 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, pat blondeau said:

I think I’d rather lose 2-3 or 2-4 if I watched a game and it looked like we had a plan of where goals are going to come from.

I didn’t want Pulis but I’m not anti Pulis. The squad is poor as we know but I’d have liked to have seen a change in the style of play. The 3 performances under Pulis have just carried on Monkball. We’ve only had 2 shots on target in 3 games under Pulis.

And what he did to Rhodes today was bad management 

Really ? Games coming thick and fast with hardly any time on the training pitch. 3 games in and 1 of those with 10 men for 75 minutes ! I don’t know what you’re expecting but I think you’re going to be very disappointed. I’ll just be satisfied to be playing Championship football next season mate. As for Rhodes - we all wanted him to succeed but it’s not worked and we can argue as to why. He’s had the arm around him, maybe he needs to be shown the reality of the situation. If he can’t score then he’s got to contribute in some other way. Even when Fletcher was having a poor game he made a nuisance of himself. Just a “thumbs up” for a through ball that didn’t quite make doesn’t cut the mustard.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Of course, but because we lost those games, we need to win games like these. Draws won’t save us

Don’t be silly. 

There are 30 odd games left this season, we don’t need to win them all. We don’t need to win half of them to save ourselves. Thinking you do adds unnecessary pressure and likely returns the type of results we saw in the Luton, Rovrum, Wycombe run. 

If we draw against the top half teams more often than not and win against the bottom half teams more often than not we’ll be comfortably safe.

We’ve been abysmal this season and had a six point penalty yet still are only 4/5 points from safety. Our goal difference vs those at bottom is like an extra point too. 

16 minutes ago, doubleo said:

Really ? Games coming thick and fast with hardly any time on the training pitch. 3 games in and 1 of those with 10 men for 75 minutes ! I don’t know what you’re expecting but I think you’re going to be very disappointed. I’ll just be satisfied to be playing Championship football next season mate. As for Rhodes - we all wanted him to succeed but it’s not worked and we can argue as to why. He’s had the arm around him, maybe he needs to be shown the reality of the situation. If he can’t score then he’s got to contribute in some other way. Even when Fletcher was having a poor game he made a nuisance of himself. Just a “thumbs up” for a through ball that didn’t quite make doesn’t cut the mustard.

Agreed if he keeps us up it’s job done.

And I’m no fan of Rhodes but didn’t see any reason to humiliate him like that yesterday. Being subbed as a sub is the biggest insult you can give a player

9 hours ago, torryowl said:

but it was a decent performance today .....we were  rock solid at the back(again) blotted out a superior midfield .....we had little up front but theres bugger all he can do about that till january . .

Spot on my friend. People need to realise he’s working with the shibo that monk signed   
Hopefully we’ll get some of his signings in and monks out. Let us judge him then. 

10 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Losing those 3 games was disastrous.

If we'd have drawn all 3 we would be out of the relegation zone now, above Rotherham on goal difference and 3 points clear of Wycombe.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Losing those 3 games was disastrous.

If we'd have drawn all 3 we would be out of the relegation zone now, above Rotherham on goal difference and 3 points clear of Wycombe.

That four game losing streak is what finally saw Monk lose his job and what Pulis is trying to recover from as well as the points deduction.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Andrew6666 said:

Pulis ball, it's going to be awful. I just hope he gets a win soon, because we've all suffered enough already in lockdown without having to put up with performances like today. 

I think it was a Greek sage who said,

(Build it, they will come).

Could have been a film though.