streaming

I used to pay last yr, or maybe yr before £6.99 Now tv, (i don't have sky) for games i couldn't get to. I thought that was too much.

For big / important away games..

in the pub...they must be really feeling it btw.

Now I just listen to radio sheff with final score on tv...getting used to it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

With the way the world is moving all matches should be available to watch from home.

If it’s not on Sky then people should have the chance to watch games for a fee if they wish.

It would probably reduce crowd numbers slightly but that’s the way things are going now, cinemas are going to go the same way with films getting released digitally for a price.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, morganowl said:

he cant be very good at cutting a deal . i got the lot not inc bt etc for £45 a month even got new dish install 2tb box and mini box for nothing ,i was kinda pleased with that offer. i said yes pretty quickly to that. I've been doing it since 1990 since sky started too, must have saved pushing 10 grand over that time getting it not much above half price. 

Same here. Whenever I've had a problem with my Sky set up I ring them and they tell me it's £95 or summat to fix it. I tell them to cancel my subscription. Then they send somebody to replace everything, dish, boxes, cableing. We pay around £50 including Disney plus. Don't have cinema as we didn't use it and I use the Sky Sports mobile app and mirror it to my tv. Costs £4:99 a month through Vodafone for all the sports channels. It's not perfect but a bargain for a fiver

Just now, Mac_77 said:

Would people pay £25/£30 a month for a rolling contract showing the games played home and away for the full month?

Maybe?. I pay to listen to the commentary which 45 quid for the season so presumably if I paid to watch the games as well I would be paying more than a tenner.

Clubs losing cash over illegal streaming?

As per usual, it's the clubs further down the league ladder that are really put at risk by this kind of thing, but as for the Prem and the Championship?

Cry me a river.

They continue to pay the players daft and irresponsible amounts of money, and yet they want us to act ‘responsibly’ and help the clubs save money!

And then to attempt to manipulate the emotional bonds we have with our clubs in order to do it too!

I suspect half the clubs in Leagues One and Two could be wiped out and the Prem would probably not do a thing.

It's all fine railing at the government for not doing enough (and believe me, I've done plenty of that), but how much sympathy are we really supposed to have for the top two divisions when the top division probably pays every one of it's players at least over 10k a week, and the Championship at least over 2k a week? (I pulled these figures out of my arse, of course, but you get the point).

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

Illegal streaming of football games will ALWAYS happen.  Netflix and Amazon's approach to combat illegal streaming was to improve dashboards, make subscriptions dirt cheap, encourage account sharing etc., what has iFollow done recently to improve their service offering? It says it all when you get a better user experience via illegal streams than you do on their platform. 

Pricing is all wrong when you consider the likes of Netflix are £5.99 per month for much more. They need to understand that this is yet another subscription that the average Joe needs to sign up for and at the moment it's overpriced.

iFollow need to come to terms with the fact that they will never keep 100% of their content protected at all times. Yes, still chase those illegal streams but why not actually listen to the audience and develop a quality product at a fair price.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

6 minutes ago, darra said:

Maybe?. I pay to listen to the commentary which 45 quid for the season so presumably if I paid to watch the games as well I would be paying more than a tenner.

It’s going to go the way of Netflix with monthly subscriptions for access to matches.

You’d still get your hardcore fans attending and occasional attendance at Hillsborough which is great, it would also cut Sky right out as money would go straight to the clubs/EFL.

You could pot the money and split between 24 clubs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Hopefully I can find a good stream this weekend 

If they have shut some streams down they will find a way to reopen or get those games back within a few days. They've had purges before and the streaming industry is still going strong. (Not that I use it obviously)

• Love 1

3 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

The EFL are after the streamers....

For Sheffield Wednesday's WIN at Birmingham they found 14 illegal streams, 11 were shut down.

Picking on us ageean 😜

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8962349/EFL-claim-lost-500-000-illegal-streaming-matches.html

35824804-8962349-image-a-21_1605713835941.jpg

I watched the Birmingham game on an "illegal" stream. It didn't get shut down - in your face, EFL. 

I've never paid for I follow yet - maybe if you actually gave me my refund for last year's games, SWFC? 

• Like 6

Being based outside of the UK I had an iFollow annual membership for a number of years until this season.  I couldn't justify paying the price increase from £110 for the 2019/20 season to £140 for the 2020/21 season, which equated to a 27.27% price increase.

I can see why people choose to use illegal streams.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, prowl said:

They say money has been lost because of illegal streaming. Don't they realise that people use streams because they can't afford or aren't prepared to pay the proper price. In reality very little has been lost.

They've lost £250M because fans can't attend but taken in £8M from showing games. That's a good indication that fans aren't that bothered about watching games without the crowds being there. Time they realised that fans are the important thing in football. Without the crowds football is nothing.

Time to stop treating fans like cash cows and start treating them like the most important part of the industry. Football without the fans in the stadiums will lose it's appeal and TV companies won't pay fas much for the rights. 

Excellent post. Sums it all up very well indeed.

The FA and the EFL both need a reality check, as we are likely to be heading into a long term recession,  due the financial downside of Covid-19.

The football authorities seem to have grossly overrated the mass appeal of their product, whilst played in empty stadiums.

A good many people just won't be able to afford it soon anyway, due to mass unemployment and having to prioritise their weekly expenditure and put food on the table for their families.

I don't wish to wish to sound pessimistic about a recession and peoples finances going forward, but this is well meant, and a reality check about fans preparing for the worst case scenario.

The footballing authorities need a huge wake up call.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest LondonOwl313
30 minutes ago, Bassetts Allsorts said:

Illegal streaming of football games will ALWAYS happen.  Netflix and Amazon's approach to combat illegal streaming was to improve dashboards, make subscriptions dirt cheap, encourage account sharing etc., what has iFollow done recently to improve their service offering? It says it all when you get a better user experience via illegal streams than you do on their platform. 

Pricing is all wrong when you consider the likes of Netflix are £5.99 per month for much more. They need to understand that this is yet another subscription that the average Joe needs to sign up for and at the moment it's overpriced.

iFollow need to come to terms with the fact that they will never keep 100% of their content protected at all times. Yes, still chase those illegal streams but why not actually listen to the audience and develop a quality product at a fair price.

This is the thing.. it’s probably worth about a fiver a game but a tenner is too much. Every game I try and find a free stream and it’s hit and miss whether there is one, and if you do find one it often cuts out. I still wouldn’t pay a tenner though 

However, if they made ifollow £5 and made the quality good and reliable so that you know for a certainty it will work then I’d pay that. Using the Netflix example.. most of the shows on there you could source illegal streams for but I still pay for Netflix as it’s good value, reliable and high quality.

Football needs to adapt. When people are allowed back in they aren’t going to want to pay £40 to sit in the cold watching boring football when they’ve been used to watching at home. That means that going to games is about the experience.. and that means full stadiums with atmosphere and not getting fleeced you go.

They should cut ticket prices to £20 a game and simultaneously make streams available for a fiver. Fill out the stadium and maximise viewers. Revenue would be down overall but that just means wage cuts for players.. simple  

1 hour ago, darra said:

Same here. Whenever I've had a problem with my Sky set up I ring them and they tell me it's £95 or summat to fix it. I tell them to cancel my subscription. Then they send somebody to replace everything, dish, boxes, cableing. We pay around £50 including Disney plus. Don't have cinema as we didn't use it and I use the Sky Sports mobile app and mirror it to my tv. Costs £4:99 a month through Vodafone for all the sports channels. It's not perfect but a bargain for a fiver

sounds good. i mirror ifollow from phone to samsung 4k tv it works far better than the other ways ive tried .

If iFollow service was really good and not subject to poor/no sound, picture stutter and looping it would be worth around a fiver a game.

For £10 they should offer a top quality programme for each game to include stats, interviews and 1 hour pre and post the match covering recent games, news and analysis. Also should allow access to replays for free.

• Like 1
  • Love 1