streaming

Paid the tenner once this Season, afterwards I decided that it was not worth the money, so not paid since,

decided against paying for the audio only, (lets go round the grounds again) don't want to know how Rotherhum

are doing, can see that on telly, so what options are out there, apart from illegal streams, nowt, can't even watch

highlights on the Club website, so I ask again what options are out there?

I press the red button on the BEEB at 2.30 and watch the results come in.

Am I being disenfranchised by greedy people at ifollow,

yes I am

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Just now, daleblue said:

Paid the tenner once this Season, afterwards I decided that it was not worth the money, so not paid since,

decided against paying for the audio only, (lets go round the grounds again) don't want to know how Rotherhum

are doing, can see that on telly, so what options are out there, apart from illegal streams, nowt, can't even watch

highlights on the Club website, so I ask again what options are out there?

I press the red button on the BEEB at 2.30 and watch the results come in.

Am I being disenfranchised by greedy people at ifollow,

yes I am

Many more feel the same as yourself mate

Highlights etc can be watched on Youtube but I think it's the day after or somethhing

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

£10 for a single match streamed is a ridiculous price 
In fact (and I"m not getting dramatic or emotional here) it's a pretty disgusting price when you think about it)

(But i keep paying it - haven't missed one yet since lockdown)

But should be £4.99 MAX

Absolutely. Charge a sensible price and people will pay it. 

If you offer value for money people wont go around trying to find unreliable, poor quality streams. Services like Netflix realised this a long time ago. Who bothers illegally downloading tv shows now? It's simply not worth the effort.

But of course football never passes up an opportunity to fleece fans.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Using the Netflix example.. most of the shows on there you could source illegal streams for but I still pay for Netflix as it’s good value, reliable and high quality.

Exactly this.

IPTV builds are something like £50 per year but there's a chance  the links could be taken down or not work. There's other illegal streaming sites currently offering SWFC matches for £3.50,but again there's a risk you pay this, and if it doesn't work who do you complain to? You can't do what my dad did and ring Amazon up to complain that a build on his Kodi app had stopped working :biggrin: (yep, actually happened!)

Edited by Bassetts Allsorts
  • Haha 4

I know someone who's got a IPTV/VPN, so gets the EFL streams included with all the stuff/channels you get on sky ect. plus extra like demand tv shows/films and other worldwide channels ect. at basically the same quality as the real thing. The person I know thinks 10 pound a match is too experience, when the IPTV/VPN costs around the same as 7/8 matches for a year. Also that if iFollow was say 5 pound a match, that person would probably pay that and it would help the clubs out as well. Finally as someone mentioned before about the illegal streams ect. being purged, but always coming back in a different way/name ect. If I remember correctly, it happening with Kodi a couple of years ago.  

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, NorthernOwl said:

Absolutely. Charge a sensible price and people will pay it. 

If you offer value for money people wont go around trying to find unreliable, poor quality streams. Services like Netflix realised this a long time ago. Who bothers illegally downloading tv shows now? It's simply not worth the effort.

But of course football never passes up an opportunity to fleece fans.

I agree but only issue is Netflix is a low margin high volume business with a potential audience in the billions. Makes it easy to adopt the strategy of being the best in class at doing that... revenue is maximised that way.

Football league clubs have a potential audience in the tens of thousands generally. So they go for milking the same loyal people over and over as they know the rest won’t pay. Nothing will change unless there’s independent regulation as Gary Neville is suggesting. 

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

This is another aspect

All those years of the facilities at grounds not getting upgraded or brought into the modern age, cold pies, poorly poured overpriced pints, rubbish tacky stuff in the club shops and prices being ridiculous tell me everything I need to know about how billionaire football owners view their clubs fans. 

They've had years to make it better, put it right, and make the matchday experience a more modern feeling, respectable one

We've even had owners of football clubs argue with their fans over things like ticket pricing saying "I tell you now, your money pays for nothing" etc

Now we have football complaining because the price they've set their I-Follow/Streams is so expensive that fans are looking for the cheaper alternatives.

Music learnt it's lesson - it used to charge £25 for a new CD from an artist at one point, but soon changed once everyone used Napster to download the latest albums. (although Music's now ripping fans off with the ticket prices for live perforrmances)

Football needs to accept this streaming war only exists because of it's out of touch pricing.

£10 a match - really?

You're right about 'would football club owners be in the least bit bothered if fans watched extremely high priced streams and never came back to the stadiums?'

Players/managers/media people will obviously want fans back

But are club owners really that bothered about having to put up with ordinary working class blokes in their stadiums with their booos and moans and shouts for managers heads?

I totally appreciate the depth of thought you have put into this but am wondering what you think the solution actually is?

You reference the music industry now ripping off fans for ticket pricing but the reason they do this is because of how streaming destroyed record sales. It used to be cheap tour tickets to sell more records. Now it’s cheap albums to sell more tickets. Effectively the same (or similar) money in the industry just spread about differently. 

As for billionaire owners well, they don’t seem to make any money out of it so it’s not standard greed, like being a slum landlord or something. Clubs are vanity projects for people with nothing better to do. 

I am quite radical about football (and sport in general). The issue is (In my opinion) football is predominantly run as an entertainment business. I think sports clubs should be viewed as community assets. Genuinely in the same bracket as churches/ other places of worship and parks/ other community assets. 

Running them as ‘businesses’ when they actually aren’t (supply and demand doesn’t mean anything when you support a club) drives the greed we see in the game. Which ultimately, hasn’t actually increased the quality of entertainment.

Anyway, as I said I am radical on this but what do you think the answer is. And just making it cheaper probably isn’t really going to be the answer. 

2 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I totally appreciate the depth of thought you have put into this but am wondering what you think the solution actually is?

You reference the music industry now ripping off fans for ticket pricing but the reason they do this is because of how streaming destroyed record sales. It used to be cheap tour tickets to sell more records. Now it’s cheap albums to sell more tickets. Effectively the same (or similar) money in the industry just spread about differently. 

As for billionaire owners well, they don’t seem to make any money out of it so it’s not standard greed, like being a slum landlord or something. Clubs are vanity projects for people with nothing better to do. 

I am quite radical about football (and sport in general). The issue is (In my opinion) football is predominantly run as an entertainment business. I think sports clubs should be viewed as community assets. Genuinely in the same bracket as churches/ other places of worship and parks/ other community assets. 

Running them as ‘businesses’ when they actually aren’t (supply and demand doesn’t mean anything when you support a club) drives the greed we see in the game. Which ultimately, hasn’t actually increased the quality of entertainment.

Anyway, as I said I am radical on this but what do you think the answer is. And just making it cheaper probably isn’t really going to be the answer. 

Music - The price of tour tickets is to pay for things like the record companies offices, receptionists and loads of other stuff that's nothing to do with the artist or the fan etc

Football - The price of streams/tickets is to pay for the player wages, agents etc.

I wish football just stopped paying mad wages out - youngsters would still (as they used to) want to play football, play for their favourite clubs, or even the giants like Barcelona, Man United etc - nothing would change other than prices would drop back down to affordability. The only reason prices are high is because football has chosen to pay mad wages to players for the exact same/worse product from the players. Makes no sense

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Music - The price of tour tickets is to pay for things like the record companies offices, receptionists and loads of other stuff that's nothing to do with the artist or the fan etc

Football - The price of streams/tickets is to pay for the player wages, agents etc.

I wish football just stopped paying mad wages out - youngsters would still (as they used to) want to play football, play for their favourite clubs, or even the giants like Barcelona, Man United etc - nothing would change other than prices would drop back down to affordability. The only reason prices are high is because football has chosen to pay mad wages to players for the exact same/worse product from the players. Makes no sense

Ref music- yes. The tour revenues pay for the record business as a whole. The link you are missing is that the record business is to do with fans and artists. It’s the music industry that makes artist what they are. Most of the music that ‘sells’ is a manufactured product. The manufacturing process is expensive. Something needs to pay for it. It used to be record sales. Now it’s tour tickets. 

ref football- yes. The streaming (or ticket)/ tv money etc is to pay for the players agents as well as the stadiums, support staff etc etc. It’s like the record industry (or film, theatre opera or any other entertainment industry). 

As for the mad wages but yes. 100% the wages and fees are the problem. 
But, just wishing clubs would stop paying them isn’t an answer is it?

How do you actually stop the stupid cycle we are in?

Do you ban the TV companies from putting money in?

Do you regulate wages?

Do you (as I want) make the clubs community owned and run essentially as charities (or places of worship) 

What should actually be done?

4 hours ago, Hirstyslaces said:

Excellent post. Sums it all up very well indeed.

The FA and the EFL both need a reality check, as we are likely to be heading into a long term recession,  due the financial downside of Covid-19.

The football authorities seem to have grossly overrated the mass appeal of their product, whilst played in empty stadiums.

A good many people just won't be able to afford it soon anyway, due to mass unemployment and having to prioritise their weekly expenditure and put food on the table for their families.

I don't wish to wish to sound pessimistic about a recession and peoples finances going forward, but this is well meant, and a reality check about fans preparing for the worst case scenario.

The footballing authorities need a huge wake up call.

Spot on. The big dilemma for Sky will be showing Premiership games possibly of the "big 6" with stadiums not full. It's difficult to promote the EPL as the best league in the world with matches not being a sell out.

• Like 1

Whoever came up with the £10 per match price clearly didn't think it through.

I can see why they said £10 as it's probably half the price at least of actually attending matches (lower league clubs).

Obviously for us it's like a third or quarter.

So they probably thought yeah that seems fair.

But you are simply not getting the same experience as being in person. You don't get the same sense of excitement and adrenalin. 

It's simply crap compared to being at the match (talking generally here for all clubs not just us).

They are charging pay-per-view prices for something which happens twice a week. Not once every few months like boxing for instance.

It's too much and people quite rightly are steering clear. If 15 quid was deemed too expensive to watch prem teams then a tenner is way too much to watch lower league plodders with no atmosphere at all.

Massive rethink needed.

• Like 2
  • Love 1