Straight in intensity

One thing TP said that was wrong was that Westwood is one of the best keepers on the Championship.

Given that he hasn't played a first team game in getting of for a year, scant, if any, appearances in the U23s and hasn't even trained with the first team for god know how long, no one from outside the club, and probably inside two, has any real idea how good he is at this point in his career.

A total unknown.

I hope he can return to his best and give something to the club.

4 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

One thing TP said that was wrong was that Westwood is one of the best keepers on the Championship.

Given that he hasn't played a first team game in getting of for a year, scant, if any, appearances in the U23s and hasn't even trained with the first team for god know how long, no one from outside the club, and probably inside two, has any real idea how good he is at this point in his career.

A total unknown.

I hope he can return to his best and give something to the club.

Pulis is doing the usual new manager talk, he's not going to trash anyone. I agree Westwood is unlikely to be as sharp as he was but Pulis did the right thing in publicly supporting him.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Of course you can't read too much into things.

The first press conference all new managers are going to say the things we want to hear. 

Though it was good to see that the 'everybody has a clean slate' cliché looks like it has truth in it with Westwood called in to train. 

Clearly the door hasn't been shut there.

Pulis is old enough,  big enough and ugly enough to be able to deal with big personalities. So it'll be up to the players to show him what they've got. 

Equally full of praise for Bannan. 

I don't think the Pulis arrival is the death knell for wee Bazzas Hillsborough career that some might think. 

Even a side which is likely to be direct needs someone in it capable of hitting those long accurate passes and Bannan is about the best we have. 

Small

He'll really be judged by what happens in matches of course. Like all managers.  But I've keenly watches the training footage that is available and studied the stills. 

We often see the new man stood with his hands in his pockets in these early session, casting an eye over his new charges. 

Pulis appears to be of the school of thought that the best way to get to know them is to get stuck in and making himself clear from the start rather than easing himself in.

Small

Already there's a sense , to me, of an intensity and demand being made. 

Day one,  straight in and organising.

I like that. 

Set your stall out as you mean to go on.

If you ease in early doors and then start turning the screw it can get backs up. 

He's in straight away and quite clearly "The Gaffer"

Small

I did wonder , as you do,  whether a man of his age might still have the desire. The hunger. Because let's be honest, once you've made a few bob out of the game it's easy to bounce around a bit doing the minimum and taking a wage.

Clearly though Pulis still had that hands on hunger , drive and determination. And will demand it from the players.

I don't think he's come here for some semi retirement.

Small

He will be judged on results. 

There might be a quick period where we get some bounce.

But there is also going to be some dips.

Rome wasn't built in a day. 

Small

We should , I think, remember that Steve Bruce commented it might take 6 transfer windows to build solid foundations at this club and turn things around.  

I suspect as a fan base we'd have given him that time. 

Pulis, whatever we may think of him and his methods is clearly going to come in and work his socks off for this club. 

He'll not be someone who hides and slithers about.

Let's get behind him and the boys when we're allowed back in (and in the meantime not abuse them on social media). 

And together we might just be able to build solid foundations with this man at the helm like he was able to do at Stoke when given the time and backing.

He’s just pulling the same faces as I do every week when I watch the soppybastards!

I like him already!

1 hour ago, capetownowl said:

Listened to the press conference last night.

I think he is here to do a specific job. Stop the rot, clean up the ship and put in structures that will last.

IMO he is here until the end of next season and the new manager will join long before he leaves as full time manager.

He may have some other less time consuming role after that.

Other thing i picked up. All local journalists are Plonkers and dont have a clue.

Only the 'local' journalists?  All journalists want 'news', and if it isn't here, they'll make it up from assumptions (usually far from correct), rumours or deliberate misinterpretations .

And how do I know, bitter eperience.

I think he knows his job is to get the best from Bannan if we are to score goals.

Also, it’s less about what he said yesterday from a PR point of view more his manner and how he came across as a communicator and able to have a broader conversation. The club needs someone who can do that and players here have seemed to do better when they have a manager they look up to and respect as a character. 

That’s not to say others haven’t been respected but some managers have more gravitas than others. Some are quiet masterminds who will be quite aloof but excellent at coaching and tactics whereas others are more about a personal relationship. For whatever reason the latter seems to do better here more often than not. 

18 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

The first press conference all new managers are going to say the things we want to hear. 

Though it was good to see that the 'everybody has a clean slate' cliché looks like it has truth in it with Westwood called in to train. 

Pulis is old enough,  big enough and ugly enough to be able to deal with big personalities. So it'll be up to the players to show him what they've got. 

I don't think the Pulis arrival is the death knell for wee Bazzas Hillsborough career that some might think. 

Even a side which is likely to be direct needs someone in it capable of hitting those long accurate passes and Bannan is about the best we have. 

Small

He'll really be judged by what happens in matches of course. Like all managers.  But I've keenly watches the training footage that is available and studied the stills. 

We often see the new man stood with his hands in his pockets in these early session, casting an eye over his new charges. 

Pulis appears to be of the school of thought that the best way to get to know them is to get stuck in and making himself clear from the start rather than easing himself in.

Small

I like that. 

If you ease in early doors and then start turning the screw it can get backs up. 

Small

I did wonder , as you do,  whether a man of his age might still have the desire. The hunger. Because let's be honest, once you've made a few bob out of the game it's easy to bounce around a bit doing the minimum and taking a wage.

Clearly though Pulis still had that hands on hunger , drive and determination. And will demand it from the players.

Small

Small

We should , I think, remember that Steve Bruce commented it might take 6 transfer windows to build solid foundations at this club and turn things around.  

Pulis, whatever we may think of him and his methods is clearly going to come in and work his socks off for this club. 

Let's get behind him and the boys when we're allowed back in (and in the meantime not abuse them on social media). 

And together we might just be able to build solid foundations with this man at the helm like he was able to do at Stoke when given the time and backing.

Thanks Snoots, I'm optimistic reading this.

I'm firmly of the belief that two full seasons is the minimum length of time you should keep a manager barring unexpected relegation.

You are right that if Pulis succeeds then Wednesday succeed.

So it's up to the sane majority on here, over the next few months, to keep that front and centre while TP finds his feet.

3 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

I`ve had my say on his appointment , i didn`t agree with it , i hate watching his teams play  , and , for a club that is in so much of a financial mess that we have been docked points , his...er...off field history is more than a little alarming.

HOWEVER........................i will stop moaning (for now 😉) as the fact remains he IS our manager so must be given a chance to prove half of us wrong.

From here on in he will be judged on results / performances / selections etc like all other managers..........................here`s hoping he does better than Luhukay and Monk..............which in all honesty shouldnt be too difficult.

COYBAWW !!!!

How many times did you watch them and why?+ What is the...er...off field history?

2 minutes ago, pioowl said:

How many times did you watch them and why?+ What is the...er...off field history?

Seen his teams play on sky and against Wednesday dozens of times..........................as for off field..........google Tony Pulis Gillingham / Crystal Palace and see for yourself.

20 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Small

Small

I like that. 

Small

Small

Small

Certainly the last six windows have seen a team that was capable of challenging at the top of the championship dismantled and converted to one that has to now battle at the bottom of the division, but that is down to our chairman and his business partners, rather than his list of sacked scapegoats.

Van Aken was our last major signing, back in the summer of 2017 and after his three years with us, his contract is coming up for renewal this summer along with another 17 players, so hopefully if Chansiri still has the desire and the money to try and improve our playing staff and team prospects, he can properly back one of his managers by getting them only the players that they want by allowing Pulis to name all of the players he wants within the permissible budget instead of resorting to thrid parties and their scattergun approach to signing any old player that is on their books or one of their "close friend's" books.

14 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

Well, that was a different interview. Seems like we've appointed someone who believes in calling a spade a spade, and not 'an implement for delving into mother earth'

I completely understand and agree with the sentiment of your point but I'd be careful about using that phrase anywhere at the moment.

A lot of people, despite being incorrect, deem that term as having racist origins, it is still likely to upset some people though.

Not having a go, just urging caution.

Agree with your wider point entirely though

Tony looks to be a top organiser, an intelligent/streetwise man who is interested in people, history and winning, which is something I feel we have missed hugely for a long time.

He is in charge and that will be made clear. He will command respect, give honest messages and encourage respect throughout his squad.

That is only ever a good thing and the right kind of foundation level change that we've been crying out for. It might sound simple but those type of building blocks normally lay a foundation for a big, honest and accountable team effort to become the norm.

The biggest issue for Pulis will be whether he can cope with the way the club is run. The lack of structure and DC wanting to control everything has a massive knock on to the manager and what he is trying to do.

It will be very interesting to see what happens after Pulis has tried to work with for a few months.

Yesterday it seems from his conference that he couldn’t even find out if we could get Westwood eligible to play on Saturday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldishowl said:

The biggest issue for Pulis will be whether he can cope with the way the club is run. The lack of structure and DC wanting to control everything has a massive knock on to the manager and what he is trying to do.

It will be very interesting to see what happens after Pulis has tried to work with for a few months.

Yesterday it seems from his conference that he couldn’t even find out if we could get Westwood eligible to play on Saturday.

Exactly correct. If DC shows TP the kind of respect and gives him the full support that a manager should get from his chairman, then he will be the first manager that we have had under Chansiri that has had this. Carlos was sacked as a direct result of Chansiri's bad spending. Having to buy three or four players to find one good one and buying so many older injury prone players on long term contracts and high wages at the same time was a recipe for disaster that no respectable football manager would have followed, but our chairman did. Despite admitting that he knew and still knows very little about football, football players and how to run a football club, our chairman has never let any of his football managers really manage the football club. If Chansiri was actually big enough to do that, I have no doubt that somebody like Tony Pulis could really turn our club around. Chansiri would be much better thought of and respected as a consequence of choosing the right man and putting all his faith in him. We knew from the stories of arguments between Monk and Chansiri and the fact that Monk did not get the players he wanted this summer, that his tenure at or club was a fragile one. Let us just hope that Tony Pulis is given a much more solid and complete managerial position and that Chansiri allows Pulis to do what is required, within fair play budget restrictions.

Good luck Tony P and UP THE OWLS! 

8 hours ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Despite admitting that he knew and still knows very little about football, football players and how to run a football club, our chairman has never let any of his football managers really manage the football club. If Chansiri was actually big enough to do that, I have no doubt that somebody like Tony Pulis could really turn our club around. Chansiri would be much better thought of and respected as a consequence of choosing the right man and putting all his faith in him. We knew from the stories of arguments between Monk and Chansiri and the fact that Monk did not get the players he wanted this summer, that his tenure at or club was a fragile one. Let us just hope that Tony Pulis is given a much more solid and complete managerial position and that Chansiri allows Pulis to do what is required, within fair play budget restrictions.

Interesting point Bubbly.  I wasn't aware of disagreements between Monk and Chansiri about players?

Infsct, i have to say I got hthe impression Monk was pretty pleased about the chaps he had brought in?

The idea about letting a manager crack on and get in, and get things sorted out I agree with totally. 

Interestingly Chansiri's section of the press conference he suggested he wants a manager who'll stand his ground and be honest, be straightforward.  I think there was inference some of the others had perhaps just told him all was rosy to stay on the gravy boat. 

I maybe wrong. But that was my reading of it.

8 hours ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Exactly correct. If DC shows TP the kind of respect and gives him the full support that a manager should get from his chairman, then he will be the first manager that we have had under Chansiri that has had this. Carlos was sacked as a direct result of Chansiri's bad spending. Having to buy three or four players to find one good one and buying so many older injury prone players on long term contracts and high wages at the same time was a recipe for disaster that no respectable football manager would have followed, but our chairman did. Despite admitting that he knew and still knows very little about football, football players and how to run a football club, our chairman has never let any of his football managers really manage the football club. If Chansiri was actually big enough to do that, I have no doubt that somebody like Tony Pulis could really turn our club around. Chansiri would be much better thought of and respected as a consequence of choosing the right man and putting all his faith in him. We knew from the stories of arguments between Monk and Chansiri and the fact that Monk did not get the players he wanted this summer, that his tenure at or club was a fragile one. Let us just hope that Tony Pulis is given a much more solid and complete managerial position and that Chansiri allows Pulis to do what is required, within fair play budget restrictions.

Ime sure that pulis was aware of chansiri control freak problem and chansiri aware that pulis is a strong character and that it was all addressed in the interview process and a mutual agreement declared uto

On 16/11/2020 at 17:54, McRightSide said:

I just don’t subscribe to the theory that he would look to bomb out his best outfield player. 

He might like direct football, but he ain’t stupid 

I thought he signed a few ‘clever’ players at Stoke - Bojan & Steven Ireland came to mind. Turns out they were signed by Mark Hughes. 
Let’s face it, it’s not going to be pretty, but  as his mandate is probably purely to keep us up, at least we know what to expect.

11 hours ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

I reckon "Maltese Tony" has mellowed a tad in his older years somewhat....

I'd have expected him to come straight out and say that Pogo is a stone or two overweight to be a professional footballer at this level ...

Are you confusing him with that master cue man the Maltese Falcon ?