RIP Albert Quixall

Guest hirstysfags
20 minutes ago, markg said:

My grandad, despite the fact that he was unfortunately a blade, raved about him 

I like the sound of your grandad. Knew who he liked but could appreciate quality elsewhere.

There is no "h" in Quixall.

Finney and Quixall both came into the first team at 17 years of age and formed the right wing partnership from then on.  Albert certainly did not replace Duncan Edwards (who could??) at Old Trafford.  Duncan was the left half, while Albert was definitely an inside right (no. 8).  I believe he left us in September of 1958 for the then record fee of £45,000 (another of Eric Taylor's skills, see other thread on him).

Can't remember offhand who took his place immediately in our team, Bobby Craig came in  '59, signed from Third Lanark for the princely sum of £6,500 and proved an excellent signing, pocket-sized but difficult to shake off the ball, a play maker and a good shot.  He was in the side that thrashed Man. U. 7-2 at their place in the F.A. Cup replay of Feb. '61.  Of Owls' interest that night, but on the wrong side, were Albert, Nobby Stiles, Maurice Setters (assistant to Big Jack at Hillsborough) and Mark "Pancho" Pearson, later at Hillsborough and partnering David "Bronco" Layne up front.

Albert was nicknamed "the golden boy" of English football, he stood out on the field because of his wavy, fair hair, tightish, shortish shorts and the fact that he could really play football!

Them were the days!!

• Thanks 4