RIP Albert Quixall

4 minutes ago, Swingin' Sixties said:

There is no "h" in Quixall.

Finney and Quixall both came into the first team at 17 years of age and formed the right wing partnership from then on.  Albert certainly did not replace Duncan Edwards (who could??) at Old Trafford.  Duncan was the left half, while Albert was definitely an inside right (no. 8).  I believe he left us in September of 1958 for the then record fee of £45,000 (another of Eric Taylor's skills, see other thread on him).

Can't remember offhand who took his place immediately in our team, Bobby Craig came in  '59, signed from Third Lanark for the princely sum of £6,500 and proved an excellent signing, pocket-sized but difficult to shake off the ball, a play maker and a good shot.  He was in the side that thrashed Man. U. 7-2 at their place in the F.A. Cup replay of Feb. '61.  Of Owls' interest that night, but on the wrong side, were Albert, Nobby Stiles, Maurice Setters (assistant to Big Jack at Hillsborough) and Mark "Pancho" Pearson, later at Hillsborough and partnering David "Bronco" Layne up front.

Albert was nicknamed "the golden boy" of English football, he stood out on the field because of his wavy, fair hair, tightish, shortish shorts and the fact that he could really play football!

Them were the days!!

Thank you for your kind words about my moniker, Bobby Craig, a fine player I much admired, got rid of too soon to my mind. Albert was a fine player, but I think Eric Taylor knew that he had Johnny Fantham coming through, so took the money- typical Wednesday!

My Dad’s favourite story was that he beat Albert Quixhall at keepy ups to win a bit for his mates.

Albert went first and kept the ball up 107 times on his head. Ken went second and caught the ball after 108 much to the delight of his Parson Cross mates.

Have another go Dad up in the sky, see if tha can lick ‘im agin!

RIP to a Wednesday legend ( and a legend of a Dad )

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Both of my Grandads told me some great stories about Albert Quixall. My Dad's Dad was always a huge fan, and regularly told me that I'd never seen a 'proper' player like him in my life time.

Mam's Dad used to live on Doe Roy's Crescent, and apparently Quixall lived at the house that backed on to theirs! By all accounts he regularly had a kick about with Grandad and his pals before making his way down to Hillsborough on a match day. I hope the stories were true.

Rest in peace Albert, you made an indelible mark on that generation of Wednesdayites.

• Love 1

RIP Albert. I saw him play for Manchester Utd - I thought Johnny Fantham was better but I was always biased. In the picture on the thread, is it the England under 23 team...and is that Alan Finney on the left on the front row? I’m fairly sure Alan had under 23 honours for England but no full England cap. He used to wear boots with red soles ( very fancy when I was 9 years old). Somebody on here will know. 

870C5304-25F0-4E04-8C26-E9F53CC5E5F9.jpeg

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Swingin' Sixties said:

There is no "h" in Quixall.

Finney and Quixall both came into the first team at 17 years of age and formed the right wing partnership from then on.  Albert certainly did not replace Duncan Edwards (who could??) at Old Trafford.  Duncan was the left half, while Albert was definitely an inside right (no. 8).  I believe he left us in September of 1958 for the then record fee of £45,000 (another of Eric Taylor's skills, see other thread on him).

Can't remember offhand who took his place immediately in our team, Bobby Craig came in  '59, signed from Third Lanark for the princely sum of £6,500 and proved an excellent signing, pocket-sized but difficult to shake off the ball, a play maker and a good shot.  He was in the side that thrashed Man. U. 7-2 at their place in the F.A. Cup replay of Feb. '61.  Of Owls' interest that night, but on the wrong side, were Albert, Nobby Stiles, Maurice Setters (assistant to Big Jack at Hillsborough) and Mark "Pancho" Pearson, later at Hillsborough and partnering David "Bronco" Layne up front.

Albert was nicknamed "the golden boy" of English football, he stood out on the field because of his wavy, fair hair, tightish, shortish shorts and the fact that he could really play football!

Them were the days!!

Excellent write up.  Yes, he left us in September 1958. I started going one month later.   Our forward line for the rest of the season was Derek Wilkinson, Redfern Froggatt, Roy Shiner, Johnny Fantham, Alan Finney.

We scored 106 goals I think that season.  Still a club record.

So to answer you question, young Fantham came in at no 10,  and Froggatt changed to no 8, previously number 10.   

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Elderly Owl said:

RIP Albert. I saw him play for Manchester Utd - I thought Johnny Fantham was better but I was always biased. In the picture on the thread, is it the England under 23 team...and is that Alan Finney on the left on the front row? I’m fairly sure Alan had under 23 honours for England but no full England cap. He used to wear boots with red soles ( very fancy when I was 9 years old). Somebody on here will know. 

870C5304-25F0-4E04-8C26-E9F53CC5E5F9.jpeg

Yes.  Front row Alan Finney, Albert Quixall, ? , Johnny Haynes, David Pegg.

Back row Ronnie Clayton, Maurice Norman, Reg Matthews, Duncan Edwards, Trevor Smith, Don Howe.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Lincs Owl said:

Yes.  Front row Alan Finney, Albert Quixall, ? , Johnny Haynes, David Pegg.

Back row Ronnie Clayton, Maurice Norman, Reg Matthews, Duncan Edwards, Trevor Smith, Don Howe.  

bit of digging ,the one your missing is james harris (everton) ......the  match was against scotland played at hillsboro