RIP Albert Quixall

31 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

Excellent write up.  Yes, he left us in September 1958. I started going one month later.   Our forward line for the rest of the season was Derek Wilkinson, Redfern Froggatt, Roy Shiner, Johnny Fantham, Alan Finney.

We scored 106 goals I think that season.  Still a club record.

So to answer you question, young Fantham came in at no 10,  and Froggatt changed to no 8, previously number 10.   

Thanks  for that update.  Hope I am not dishonouring the topic (certainly not my intention) but I had 5 goldfish at that time, each one taking the name of one of the 5 forwards you listed there.  Just think, those 5, all decent goal scorers, having just sold Albert for pots of money, and with Craig coming in somewhat later at a pittance.  What a Gen Sec/Manager Eric Taylor was!  Could he have been a CEO of his day, or a DOF perhaps?? 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bobbycraig said:

Thank you for your kind words about my moniker, Bobby Craig, a fine player I much admired, got rid of too soon to my mind. Albert was a fine player, but I think Eric Taylor knew that he had Johnny Fantham coming through, so took the money- typical Wednesday!

catterick sold quixall and from what i read he did so to get money for new signings ...after the deal had gone thru the board told  him that the money was needed else where and gave him the small amount to sign bobby craig and pocketed the rest ......

A local lad from Parson Cross, schooled at Meynall. Part of a very strong team who were a joy to watch by all accounts. 

My late grandad’s favourite player by a country mile. As a cobbler with a shop on Leppings Lane he had the privilege of repairing his boots which he looked after as if they were the crown jewels. 

RIP Albert. 

• Like 2

One of Wednesday’s true legends, Albert Quixall was everything as a kid I could only dream of, a genius with a ball and a great guy, even probably a fashion icon of his era.

Having observed the minutes silence before last nights England game I must say I was disappointed that the FA didn’t find a picture of him to post on the Wembley screens. Great pictures of Waiters and Nobby Stiles but didn’t see one of the great Albert Quixall - shame on you FA.

Saw every home game, and many away, that Albert played for Owls, alongside his partner Alan Finney. What a partnership that wouldd be today, in the Premiership let alone the Championship. You never saw Albert without a ball. He used to bring one out with him and always had is either on his head or foot throughout warm-ups. The tricks he could do with a ..ball, both in practice and in play were legendary. And take a penalty? He would show the opposing keeper, and there were some excellent keepers then, where he was going to put the ball, and would still beat him! What with him and Alan on the right, and 'Ticker' Froggatt,and Woodhead on the left. Passes from short or deep came in pinpoint.Once saw Dennis Woodhead, left wing, score a goal and burst the side net at Hillsborough Our modern lot can't even hit gthe net!.

I well remember the night at OT the first match after the Munich crash, when the FA broke every rule to allow MU to fields side, up to and including signing a player within minutes of the game.As for Wed.that night, national passions were such that they daren't have won! The only Wed player we had who gave 100% that night was - yes- Albert Quixall, who very shortly after  was bought to understudy Denis Law, and played very little for Manure, and was, in the opinion of myself and many Owls fans, bought simply to keep him out of football.

RIP Albert, and thanks for many happy moments.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bolton9owl said:

One of Wednesday’s true legends, Albert Quixall was everything as a kid I could only dream of, a genius with a ball and a great guy, even probably a fashion icon of his era.

Having observed the minutes silence before last nights England game I must say I was disappointed that the FA didn’t find a picture of him to post on the Wembley screens. Great pictures of Waiters and Nobby Stiles but didn’t see one of the great Albert Quixall - shame on you FA.

Thought exactly the same