Tony Pulis’ Record

11 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Is he's good why does he keep getting sacked?

Like more or less every other manager you mean? 

Most managers have a fair few sackings on their records, now I'm not saying I'd be going after Pulis, but a manager being sacked previously, especially these days, means only a little bit more than nothing. 

Oh boy, I can't wait to watch us play for a 0-1 when the opposition are down to 10 men for the last 33 minutes of football

Nor can't I wait to see us have a massive 2 shots in 180 minutes of play off football (in the event we ever get there)

Might as well get Stuart Gray back if we want dour boring football but survive at all costs.

17 minutes ago, katie melua said:

Oh boy, I can't wait to watch us play for a 0-1 when the opposition are down to 10 men for the last 33 minutes of football

Nor can't I wait to see us have a massive 2 shots in 180 minutes of play off football (in the event we ever get there)

Might as well get Stuart Gray back if we want dour boring football but survive at all costs.

Exactly.

It is a case of survive at all costs.

Do we want to spend £100 million to end up in the Third?

Stuart Gray got a team which should have been fighting the drop to mid-table.

Some people think that we're where we are because of Monk, but IMO we're not.

We're where we are because we've got a poor side.

Monk couldn't deal with such a team, yet 3 years ago when we had quality he'd probably have done well.

In our pickle, a special type of manager is required, ie Warnock, McCarthy or Pulis.

They all play stultifying football, but they get results.

16 hours ago, Elvin Parsnip said:

Just look it up I’m too old to know how to put them on here - the independent newspaper is definitely one of them 

The ironically named "independent", is the only one mate and all things being subjective, the only club that Pulis did anything half decent with in the Prem was with Stoke Citc F.C., who never got into the top half of the table with him in charge, but immediately finished the next three seasons in the top half of the Prem.... after he had gone!

What kind of sports writer would class Pulis as one of the top 20 Prem managers based on that? A very independently minded one mate, definitely one on his own! 

1 minute ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

The ironically named "independent", is the only one mate and all things being subjective, the only club that Pulis did anything half decent with in the Prem was with Stoke Citc F.C., who never got into the top half of the table with him in charge, but immediately finished the next three seasons in the top half of the Prem.... after he had gone!

What kind of sports writer would class Pulis as one of the top 20 Prem managers based on that? A very independently minded one mate, definitely one on his own! 

He won Prem Manager of the year rescuing Palace from relegation to finish mid-table.

We need rescuing.

On 11/11/2020 at 09:41, MarkS43Owl said:

You stick to wanting your short term crappy football fix.

I’d much rather us go for an ambitious manager who likes to play football and has a clear plan in place for the future.

Pulis is a man renowned for dire football and his teams don’t score goals. With no fans in grounds at the minute, do you really think us managed by Pulis will get people off the sofa and into the ground? No chance. 

Who is this man that you speak of?

25 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

Who is this man that you speak of?

Good attacking football with a plan in place? There are a few people:

Howe, Cook, Lowe off the top of my head.

39 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

I put two different lists earlier in the thread - anyway I’m not that bothered anymore because I’m not drunk 

2 minutes ago, MarkS43Owl said:

Good attacking football with a plan in place? There are a few people:

Howe, Cook, Lowe off the top of my head.

Does Howe want to come to a struggling club, the other two are totally unproven at gaining promotion at this level.

You get good and bad games with every manager but I think with Tony Pulis bad games can be really, really awful to watch.

Think he is very much like Neil Warnock. Was an average player and done a few years in the lower leagues before making they name at taking a medium sized club into the Premier League and having a bit of success.
Tony Pulis record is actually better than Warnocks. Kept a side in the Premier League which Warnock has never really done and got to a Cup Final and Europe.

I am still a bit underwhelmed with Pulis though if I am honest.

24 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

Does Howe want to come to a struggling club, the other two are totally unproven at gaining promotion at this level.

And Pulis has a great track record of being promoted from this division? He has been promoted once 12 years ago. He’s an absolute dinosaur and will turn our club into the least attractive and unwatchable side in the division. He will make Monks side look like prime Barcelona. 

1 minute ago, MarkS43Owl said:

And Pulis has a great track record of being promoted from this division? He has been promoted once 12 years ago. He’s an absolute dinosaur and will turn our club into the least attractive and unwatchable side in the division. He will make Monks side look like prime Barcelona. 

He's probably all we can attract in our current predicament, not my first choice but with the situation we are in he's a safe pair of hands.

On 11/11/2020 at 09:46, yeadonowl said:

we dont have the squad to play that style of football and it would need multiple transfer windows to get to that stage

its all about the here and now, we need to do everything that is possible to remain in this division. 

if it means employing someone like Pulis for dour 1-0 wins then we are going to have to suck it up

This is what happens when the chairman dithers and does't act in the summer and lets the incumbent manager bring in a whole load of inadequate players

Listening to neutrals talking about us recently that seems to be the thinking. 

On 11/11/2020 at 09:29, George said:

Pompey? Gillingham? Bristol City? Plymouth?

He was good at Stoke and good with Palace. Decent with Gillingham.

poo with City, poo with Pompey, loathed at WBA.

Boro fans hate all their managers and have delusions that they should be higher than they are so we can ignore that bit.

That last sentence sounds awfully familiar.

On 11/11/2020 at 09:29, George said:

Boro fans hate all their managers and have delusions that they should be higher than they are so we can ignore that bit.

Boro fans have far fewer delusions than we do to be fair. The ones I know are good lads and despise Pulis and the way he plays. 

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

He won Prem Manager of the year rescuing Palace from relegation to finish mid-table.

We need rescuing.

In what way do we need rescuing? Rescuing from what exactly? 

I have tried not to be too partisan in my summing up of our season so far, but it is only a tale of woe in regard to the horrendous run of bad luck we have had on the injury front, all to key players that were playing so well and so productively before they got injured:-

With just one recognised championship quality striker, as opposed to six last season, not counting loan strikers, we beat Cardiff 2-0 away, for the first time since 2007 when Chris Brunt was still plying for us! We then drew 0-0 with a Watford team bristling with premiership players. Next game up QPR scored an equaliser at the death after we had lost centre half Shaw 5 minutes into the game, his replacement Palmer was the taken off injured , with third choice Odubajo taking over, we then lost Tom Lees in the closing minutes, who would have been in the position where we lost a header that resulted in the QPR equaliser. It was this game that started our demise, with the loss of so many defenders, but thank fully Hunt and Luongo were still playing well and we managed somehow to get another win against Birmingham before it started going wrong. Against Birmingham, the ever more impressive Van Aken, had a wonderful MOTM performance. 

Against a Brentford side that were brimming with confidence and with a natural striker that I have fancied for a couple of seasons now in Ivan Toney (we could have picked him up for a couple of million two season's back) we conceded two goals as a result of brilliant finishing and bad defending/goalkeeping while at the other end of the pitch, the opposite was true, although Reach's effort was brilliantly saved and deserved to be a goal. We played very well again against one of the favourites to be champions this season.

Then against a tough Luton side, who were on a very good run of form and in the top half of the table, We were unlucky to lose Van Aken in the 73rd minute to a red card and the player ha had been marking then went on to score just three minutes later to win them the game. The players looked as though they had had the stuffing knocked out of them as they left the pitch and you could understand why.

Next up Rotherham, all fired up and ready to deal out a battering against us, which they went on to do, by scoring an early goal from a double fluke which looped over an out of position Dawson, just after a weird 10 minute delay and against a Wednesday defence that was being bolstered by the sluggish Borner, third choice defender Odubajo and a last minute replacement Flint, who later had to go off injured for Palmer, who was himself just returning from injury. We then lost Tom Lees to a sending off after Dawson was again caught out of position and we were two down from the penalty with just ten men on the pitch. A third strange goal was added before half time and somehow Monk managed to galvanise the team to not concede any more goals with just ten men for the whole of the second half.

Against a wound up Wycombe Wanderers, who had had a series of bad decisions given against them in previous games, Wednesday had 72% of the possession and 15 shots at goal, but the lack of quality up front meant that we only had 3 shots on target and with a very makeshift looking defence and midfield we conceded a goal when Borner was nowhere near his man for a corner, Pelupessy being the nearest man to try and stop Wheeler from flicking the ball in. Apart from that goal Wycombe posed very little threat and defended resolutely, cutting down game time by constant committing fouls and general time wasting that went largely unpunished.

We then went on to take 4 points, still with a part diminished midfield and still with second and third choice defenders against another title contender and another top ten side in Bournemouth and Millwall, who also had one of the best defensive records in Europe according to one of the Radio Sheffield pundits.

I think the sacking of our management team is badly timed. Just when we were getting back to our earlier form, still without our first choice defence and still without a recognised championship quality striker, our owner thinks that his next choice of manager can do much better! Well I only hope he is right this time, because despite picking up points again we could really do with scoring more goals. Hopefully I am wrong about our makeshift strike force and they just need to gel. Maybe, now that we are making chances again, a new manager may try Rhodes up front for a bit longer than he has played of late. For me, Rhodes still looks more likely to get into the right positions and score more goals than Kachunga, Paterson, or Marriott 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rickygoo said:

Boro fans have far fewer delusions than we do to be fair. The ones I know are good lads and despise Pulis and the way he plays. 

They also rated Nuhiu very highly after he scored several goals against them, made a real nuisance of himself, on and off the ball and was described by some of their fans as unplayable and very difficult to stop. 

I reckon we could have benefited from some of Nuhiu's commitment and battling qualities during our bad run against Luton, Rotherham and Wycombe.

I only know two boro fans and they both hated Pulis's style of football, although they were then left to wonder why anybody would choose to replace him with Woodgate!

1 hour ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Funny though that when they sacked Monk they brought Pulis in and now we're doing the same.

Yeah it is a strange one altogether for me, I don't know about you, but it seemed to catch most people off guard with the timing.

Boro got into the play off spots in the season that Monk got sacked at Christmas and they dropped out of the play off spots, the year after when Pulis had them all season. Maybe Pulis's skills and charms are on the wane?

If he does take over I hope he manages to dredge back some his form from 12 years ago and manages to add a bit more to it, for the sake of football. Is he capable of doing that? If our chairman wanted Monk out purely based on points gained so far this season, then he really does not understand the level of quality we have in this squad and what can really be expected of them with all the injuries we have had over these first 11 games.

Without the points deduction the 12 points we have won already would not have had us in a bad position for a team that has been thrown together with a few scraps of money and free transfers, which is still getting it's act together and trying to gel despite all the enforced changes and no strikers. We could easily have had two more points at this stage, but for three freak accidents to centre halves in one game! That would have put us just two points behind  top scoring Blackburn, who have scored 21 goals so far and just four points behind Brentford who are up there yet again and a true title contender. Not a good enough reason in my opinion to sack a manager and his coaching staff after investing so lightly in players after letting go of your five main goal scorers for the past few years, not even replacing one of them with a similarly skilled player.

In my opinion DC is trying to paper over cracks that are totally of his own making. I just hope his next decision becomes a forward move rather than a side step.

UTO!