Tony Pulis’ Record

19 hours ago, Sambo89 said:

Like more or less every other manager you mean? 

Most managers have a fair few sackings on their records, now I'm not saying I'd be going after Pulis, but a manager being sacked previously, especially these days, means only a little bit more than nothing. 

Doesn't it depend on how long they manage to get away without having to move on or be sacked though? His longevity as a manager only stands up at Stoke and Gillingham! They are the only two clubs out of ten managed, that he stayed at for more than two seasons and at four of those clubs he only stayed for between 38 and 28 games!

I am afraid that his tally of successes is far too small and insignificant compared to his failures. If he keeps us ticking over and gets us more than 60 points the I would say he has done marginally better than we might have expected from Monk, but we will never know for certain do we? Would the fighting, battling team spirit that Monk got into the players be enough to keep us going, as key players become available and the team starts to gel? Could we have been the surprise table climbers that several pundits had recently tipped us to be? We will never know now.

Good luck to whoever does take over. They will definitely need it!

UTO!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Doesn't it depend on how long they manage to get away without having to move on or be sacked though? His longevity as a manager only stands up at Stoke and Gillingham! They are the only two clubs out of ten managed, that he stayed at for more than two seasons and at four of those clubs he only stayed for between 38 and 28 games!

I am afraid that his tally of successes is far too small and insignificant compared to his failures. If he keeps us ticking over and gets us more than 60 points the I would say he has done marginally better than we might have expected from Monk, but we will never know for certain do we? Would the fighting, battling team spirit that Monk got into the players be enough to keep us going, as key players become available and the team starts to gel? Could we have been the surprise table climbers that several pundits had recently tipped us to be? We will never know now.

Good luck to whoever does take over. They will definitely need it!

UTO!  

That's fair enough, though my point was aimed at Neil bumming Monk when he's been sacked from more or less every managerial job he's had. 

17 minutes ago, Sambo89 said:

That's fair enough, though my point was aimed at Neil bumming Monk when he's been sacked from more or less every managerial job he's had. 

I've never done that

I've been pointing out Monk's failures over the last 10 months 

Not my fault people never take notice

• Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop

4 hours ago, MarkS43Owl said:

And Pulis has a great track record of being promoted from this division? He has been promoted once 12 years ago. He’s an absolute dinosaur and will turn our club into the least attractive and unwatchable side in the division. He will make Monks side look like prime Barcelona. 

Championship

18/19 Boro 7th - missed 6th by a point.

17/18 Boro 5th  - play offs

07/08 Stoke 2nd - promotion

06/07 Stoke 8th - missed 6th by 2 points

And in between 9 seasons between 10th and 14th in the Prem, with WBA, Stoke and Palace.

I totally get some not liking his methods. But not liking his record is odd.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 11/11/2020 at 09:26, pazowl55 said:

I think we are looking beyond stopping us now. Monk would have kept us up. Chansiri wants a playoff push.

I’m not sure Monk would’ve kept us up and the Chairman obviously doubted him otherwise he would’ve stuck with him. I think the home record in particular did for Monk. 4 first half goals scored in 26 home games in the championship. Which ever way you look at it, it’s an horrendous stat and who’s to say that would’ve changed?

I’m not overly enthused about the prospect of Pulis being appointed but he’ll have us further up the table before long than Monk would’ve done, I’m sure of that.

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Championship

And in between 9 seasons between 10th and 14th in the Prem, with WBA, Stoke and Palace.

You totally missed the two big points about Pulis and Boro. First of all his 1st season at Boro was the one that Monk had already got them on the edge of the play offs by christmas in his second year on his own he could not get them in the play offs and the football was none existent. So of the two seasons he had at Boro he did worse than Monk, who was not sacked for football reasons. Boro were just 3 points off the play off positions when Boro sacked him at Christmas for Pulis. A strange decision from another strange chairman, sacking a successful manager for a less successful manager and then an even less successful manager! Sounding all too familiar this isnt it!

Championship

Like I said previously, he’s been promoted once and that was close to 13 years ago. 

3 minutes ago, MarkS43Owl said:

Like I said previously, he’s been promoted once and that was close to 13 years ago. 

When people exaggerate an unfancied manager's successes it makes you wonder why doesnt it?

Are we are a club with a fanbase that wants to live in fhe past, where Pulis's o ly real success firmly lives all those years ago, or do we want to move forward into a new and promising future?

Championship

You have forgotten the record that started West Bromwich's demise. I am certain (like the two baggies on here) that he would have been relegated with them, the season he was sacked. He started the rot, Pardew finished it off.

I go on about that awful response to the Huddersfield match when the Terriers went down to 10 men but their next performance at home to Chelsea was worse. 

7 to 10 years ago, I'd be happy with this potential appointment despite getting some neck braces ready. 

The game has moved on now. 

26 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

You totally missed the two big points about Pulis and Boro. First of all his 1st season at Boro was the one that Monk had already got them on the edge of the play offs by christmas in his second year on his own he could not get them in the play offs and the football was none existent. So of the two seasons he had at Boro he did worse than Monk, who was not sacked for football reasons. Boro were just 3 points off the play off positions when Boro sacked him at Christmas for Pulis. A strange decision from another strange chairman, sacking a successful manager for a less successful manager and then an even less successful manager! Sounding all too familiar this isnt it!

Yes, but the wider context of his time at 'Boro was spelled out by their chairman upon his departure:

Chairman Steve Gibson said: “I’d like to thank Tony for his hard work and commitment over the past 18 months. He has been a joy to work with and a complete gentleman.

“Two years ago we invested heavily in the squad in terms of transfer fees and salaries in an attempt to regain our Premier League status. This happened before Tony’s arrival.

“Over the past 18 months Tony has been proactive, not only in the ambition to win football matches and promotion to the Premier League, but also in addressing our financial position in order to comply and respect the Championship Fair Play criteria. He has ensured that the club is stable and strong for the future. He leaves us in excellent condition. 

“Tony’s backing of our Academy has seen many youngsters make their first team debuts. I am sure that Dael Fry, Lewis Wing, Marcus Tavernier, and Nathan Wood will be grateful for the faith he has shown in them.

“I’m sorry to see Tony leave but our friendship and my gratitude will remain. Tony and his family will always be welcome at Middlesbrough Football Club.”

When you consider the cost-cutting and squad-weakening Pulis had to oversee at 'Boro, it's hard to argue he did a terrible job. Especially when you factor in what came next...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim said:

I’m not sure Monk would’ve kept us up and the Chairman obviously doubted him otherwise he would’ve stuck with him. I think the home record in particular did for Monk. 4 first half goals scored in 26 home games in the championship. Which ever way you look at it, it’s an horrendous stat and who’s to say that would’ve changed?

I’m not overly enthused about the prospect of Pulis being appointed but he’ll have us further up the table before long than Monk would’ve done, I’m sure of that.

Almost went a few posts there without mentioning how bad Monk is Jim. 🤣

He would have kept us up his last two games showed he was coming to terms with not having Luongo in the team and we would have been better when he was back. But he wouldn't have kicked us on up the table no and that's why he went. Them 6 points back has cost him. Because that's when I think Chansiri though the playoffs maybe on and a new manager could get us there.

37 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Almost went a few posts there without mentioning how bad Monk is Jim. 🤣

He would have kept us up his last two games showed he was coming to terms with not having Luongo in the team and we would have been better when he was back. But he wouldn't have kicked us on up the table no and that's why he went. Them 6 points back has cost him. Because that's when I think Chansiri though the playoffs maybe on and a new manager could get us there.

We could have had a 6 point start and still our squad is nowhere near good enough for the playoffs.

1 hour ago, MarkS43Owl said:

Like I said previously, he’s been promoted once  

TRUE

To anyone who thinks Pulis is a promotion getting manager answer this simple question

What were you doing in 2007?

Can you remember?

What things were happening in your life, your work, your hobbies etc?

That was the last season Pulis got promoted

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

TRUE

To anyone who thinks Pulis is a promotion getting manager answer this simple question

What were you doing in 2007?

Can you remember?

What things were happening in your life, your work, your hobbies etc?

That was the last season Pulis got promoted

Dont know if you've realised this, but its's quite hard to get a team promoted when you're managing in the Premier League...

• Haha 1