Tony Pulis’ Record

58 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

So you're saying that he got sacked from every job because things didn't work out?

I dont want Pulis but I'm not sure we should reject anyone out of hand because they have sackings on their record. 

I think you yourself made the point many times, with Monk, that we shouldn't judge managers on how many times they have been sacked.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Alex Ferguson was sacked by St Mirren in 1978.
He took St Mirren to an industrial tribunal claiming unfair dismissal and lost.
The tribunal concluded that Ferguson was "particularly petty" and "immature".

The St Mirren chairman was later offered sole rights to the World Wide Web but said it’d never be worth a carrot.

4 hours ago, sethman75 said:

Pulis football would be worse to watch than Jos. No thanks

I don’t think so, really.

At worst it’ll be Jos’ football without the farting around at the back gifting goals away, or Monk’s football without looking like rabbits in the headlights holding onto a lead with 5 minutes to go.

I expect those awful poxy throw-ins will go. As will re-cycling the ball back to the keeper from promising positions. 

Im looking forward to it. 

6 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Not so in my opinion, one window would be sufficient to produce a balanced mid table championship side. Two signings could see us achieve that. A mobile centre forward,  a left back, and a switch of formations. Any half decent manager could get this side in the top half after one window

Westwood, Wildsmith or Sawson take your pick

Palmer

Iorfa

Borner

New left back

Brown

Luongo

Bannan

Harris

New number 9

Reach

Monk was doing that.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

TP Wouldn't be my first choice however we could do a lot worse than TP, sick of this ridiculous trend "possession football" or "dinosaur manager" the aim of football is simple it's to win, We played possession football under CC and we couldn't break teams down in the 2nd season only having a handful of shots per game, now that's boring football. Unless your a elite club forget about this fantasy of possession and playing out from the back nonsense possession doesn't win football matches, goals do, how we get them i don't care.

TP would instantly make us harder to beat, scrap the 3-5-2 nonsense and get a back 4, with our players we will be comfortable with that, Borner, Flint & Lees all suit it much better.

I also think you'd start to see a settled strikeforce getting minutes under there belt, everyone is so fast to write them off but the formation we were playing absolutely killed them.

It would be nice to see our forwards actually playing as forwards and not coming back into midfield.

• Like 1

I remember listening to Undr the Cosh and John Parkin was saying he was a great bloke to work under.

Incredibly disciplined, a hard task master but fair.

What's not to like in regards to that. Outcast players will be given a chance.

He said he likes one striker to work his nads off and press the defence and the other is the scorer. Think a whole back at stoke with Sidibe and Fuller. Parking said he had to play in Sidibes role and at half time he said " Whatever you are paying the bloke, double it!!!"

I can see this being Paterson and Rhodes. Wingers actually being wingers and getting crosses in.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Stopping up would be 5/6 months work - WHAT THEN?

We'd end up being stuck with this chap

We can't just sack him at the end of the season, and he wont' come for just 5 months work

I wanted Monk to go but I do think he would’ve kept us up because there are three teams even worse than us. One of the many reasons I wanted Monk to go is that his tactics* are dreadful to watch. Out of the frying pan into the fire 

* for tactics read hit and hope

• Like 1

7 hours ago, torryowl said:

If he can get results (and he usually does) that can keep us what's it matter how he achieves them .......

Please be consistent on this and come back on here again and tell us the same after 12 months of Pulisball..... Unless you’ve lost the ability to type due to the mind-numbing tedium ... then you are excused.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Please be consistent on this and come back on here again and tell us the same after 12 months of Pulisball..... Unless you’ve lost the ability to type due to the mind-numbing tedium ... then you are excused.  

Anyone would think we’ve been a free-scoring Liverpool or City this last few years. Take a look. Pulis’s Championship record suggests we’ll see a goal or two less over the season, but ship far fewer at the other end.

Pulis Average GF56 GA45

Owls 19/20 GF58 GA66

Owls 18/19 GF60 GA62

Owls 17/18 GF58 GA60

Owls 16/17 GF60 GA45

Owls 15/16 GF66 GA45

Lets also not forget, we’ve a mighty SIX goals in 11 this season, including two pens. 

We are not Barca and Pulis won’t turn us into 1980s Wimbledon. We’ll be well organised, hard, maybe slightly cynical, and we’ll get the ball into the box earlier. I’m very happy with all of that.

Edited by Holmowl
  • Like 1

Pulis took over from Monk at Middlesborough after Monk was sacked that Christmas. Borough finished 5th when Monk managed them for just over half a season and 7th the season after, when Pulis managed them for a full season.

So in as good a comparison as you are going to get, it suggests that Monk did better than Pulis, with the same team.

7 hours ago, deano said:

I'm not trying to make a case for Pulis as already stated but people got behind Megson when we was winning. 

Even Ginger Mourinho’s biggest critics surely can’t equate his spell here with Pulisball. In the context of league 1 Megson recruited some quality players. Pulis chose to select a team featuring SIX centre halves and has players trying to launch throw ins into the box from the HALFWAY LINE