Breaking- Premier league re structure

It all depends on whether or not the boundaries of a league need to be confined to a country, something that is being challenged by globalization and the riches of European football and those that broadcast it.

This move would take away the unlikely dream of fighting to be the best team in the country but given the way things are now how could a team outside of the Premier League ever achieve that?

I don't like it at all but it's pretty obvious the way things are moving, it's a case of right time and right place and the only way it could ever stop is if football went bankrupt.

Gone are the days that poor gladiators fought for life and our entertainment in front of masses, it is now the poor masses that pay the rich footballers to entertain us out of habit.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, vulva said:

Playing devils advocate why should Premier League clubs financially bail out clubs like us when we are paying £1m a year for a goalkeeper who we won’t play. 

It's a fair point that will no doubt be used as a reason to not pay owt. 

We have a wealthy owner, or we may have before anyone starts, who has bankrolled us. Maybe we aren't in desperate need of the cash like other clubs are though. The fact that we have been punished for spending too much money, just before being asked to spend more money to keep us afloat won't have been lost on him. If he sees that the 'promised land' is no longer a desirable destination than he'll walk away. I am fearful for the future of our club anyway, this stuff makes it worse for me. 

9 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Quite a few League 1 and 2 owners/chairmen coming out and with their support this idea. Unsurprisingly the thought of a few million quid crossing their palms will seem attractive. Short term thinking and not looking at the bigger picture.

More concerning is Derby's CEO Stephen Pearson who is one of the 3 Championship clubs representatives on the Board of the EFL is also in favour.

Even if the EFL are happy to go for it I would be surprised if there are 14 PL teams happy to vote for it, which is what they would need. Even West Ham one of the 'favoured 9' don't like it. 

And what will happen to that money? Would the chairman/owners See the opportunity to jump from a sinking ship, take the money to repay their loans or whatever and then let the clubs go bust anyway?

1 hour ago, vulva said:

Playing devils advocate why should Premier League clubs financially bail out clubs like us when we are paying £1m a year for a goalkeeper who we won’t play. 

Don’t think that’s what it’s about. Getting rid of parachute payments and spreading it more evenly with the purpose of making it more competitive is the object. Would be interesting to see how the total figures handed over stack up before and after. Wouldn’t surprise me if there wasn’t that bigger difference when everything is factored in. Sure someone can up with rough figures?

Just now, The_Limit_Owl said:

I haven't seen any direct quotes from EFL chairmen, just a lot of shouting in the media about it, you seen any direct quotes from EFL chairmen?

Well ours says nothing so that’s not a barometer. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mystic Neg said:

It all depends on whether or not the boundaries of a league need to be confined to a country, something that is being challenged by globalization and the riches of European football and those that broadcast it.

This move would take away the unlikely dream of fighting to be the best team in the country but given the way things are now how could a team outside of the Premier League ever achieve that?

I don't like it at all but it's pretty obvious the way things are moving, it's a case of right time and right place and the only way it could ever stop is if football went bankrupt.

Gone are the days that poor gladiators fought for life and our entertainment in front of masses, it is now the poor masses that pay the rich footballers to entertain us out of habit.

The job of the EFL and Premier League should include making the game MORE competitive, not less. 

The last time anything worth paying attention to happened in the Premiership was Leicester.   The same six clubs dominating everything is not good for the long - term future of the game. 

I would really be against taxpayers money being used to bail out clubs.

Maybe interest free loans with good repayment terms.

Think Players Union should do more. Some of their members even in League 1 will be on over £250k per year.
I believe these should be asked to take a 20% pay cut just like millions (including me) had to when we ere furloughed.

9 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Exactly, get the impression they would much rather it didn't happen. This would reduce the chances of them having new opponents come into the league with new money. The big 6 could control the lions share of the income at top level and keep the rest at arms length. 

The lower leagues could also exist with the sole purpose of providing them with players rather than being entities in their own right. 

Interesting that these two clubs are said to have started working on this plan 3 years ago, just after Leicester, a 3rd division club not long ago, won the Premier League with new money. Can't have that happening again now can we! 

Like I said in another post,use them as feeder clubs or go down the US college and university route and form soccer scholarships? Listened to Talksport last night and this morning. They said they had heard it has been in discussion since January of this year.

Apparently when the EPL was formed in 1992 the FA were given a Golden Share which means they can veto any proposals they are not happy with.

Heard calls for Parry to resign Iamn Holloway went so far as to call the whole thing corrupt. Didn't hear anybody in favour of it

Edited by darra

2 hours ago, vulva said:

Playing devils advocate Man U are paying their two keepers nearly £1 million a week one who doesnt play. You make a fair point though.

58 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Don’t think that’s what it’s about. Getting rid of parachute payments and spreading it more evenly with the purpose of making it more competitive is the object. Would be interesting to see how the total figures handed over stack up before and after. Wouldn’t surprise me if there wasn’t that bigger difference when everything is factored in. Sure someone can up with rough figures?

Think it was Simon Jordan who said on Talksport this morning "Why do you have to change the voting rights to share the money more evenly in the game?" He went on to say that it looks like the two american owners of Liverpool and Man U want to Americanise the game with no promotion and relegation with everything focussing on the final championship game very mutch like happens with NFL, MLB and NHL

• Like 1

Not sure if these figures are correct. But google shows the current premier league deal at £5billion over three years. So 25 pc equates to £1.25 b over three years. 
current failure payment is shown at £90 million per relegated club. So if three clubs go down every year that’s 270 million a year. If no comes straight back up that £810million over three years plus the solidarity of £1m a year takes it to £813 million. Not sure what other cash flows from the PL to lower leagues. 
But in that context alone they aren’t being as generous as they digest. Plus isn’t the additional up front £250 million a loan?

Apologies if the figures or maths are wrong

I’ve just read this morning that there is a clause in the ‘big picture’ project that allows Spurs to claim back £125 million for the costs of their new stadium, and Liverpool £30 million on their re developed stand. 

Absolutely criminal how these clubs are And will continue to be allowed to dictate the financial circumstances. 

This is so sad how it has come to this. I honestly think that before 2030 a european super league will be up and running with a possible franchise system similar to those in the states and cricket with the IPL. 

Yet plenty of smaller clubs in the EFL face going to the wall, inevitably ripping the heart of communities all over the country. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, vulva said:

Its all relative though. £1m sounds alot for that, but when you consider that most clubs Like chelsea in the PL are spending a few hundred Million every window it isn’t that bad.