Breaking- Premier league re structure

Think the ball is very much in the PLs court atm. 

They've voiced their objections to the plan (rightfully so), but where is their alternative?

As things stand, they've proposed 50 million and a further 100 million pound loan. This despite the EFL making it clear they need 250 million to survive. 

You've also had the likes of Steve Parrish (Palace chairman) being a mouthy tw@t in the press and blabbering on about Tescos and corner shops. 

Whilst I think project big picture is a joke, I can understand why a majority of EFL clubs will back it. After all, many are desperate and will take the deal even if long term it screws everyone over. 

Very much a game of brinkmanship going on here. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, darra said:

Hopefully, the FA will use their golden share and veto it or we could end up with the fate of 86 clubs being decided by 6.

But if the EFL back it and rest of the PL don't then it's the fate of 78 clubs being decided by the other 14. 

lol

Is this just not Rick Parry doing what’s best for Rick Parry by supporting the deal? Given that the ‘ Top 9’ can vote out and in a new chief executive for the premier league is this not just him feathering his own nest regardless of what clubs think. 

How anyone can think 9 clubs holding the power is a good idea is mind boggling!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, stumps said:

Is this just not Rick Parry doing what’s best for Rick Parry by supporting the deal? Given that the ‘ Top 9’ can vote out and in a new chief executive for the premier league is this not just him feathering his own nest regardless of what clubs think. 

How anyone can think 9 clubs holding the power is a good idea is mind boggling!

Wonder if he will get a nice job back there once he has fooled us over

If this happens within a couple of years they will reduce the amount they give the EFL. Making the premier league a closed shop. And squeeze the finances of those lower down the pyramid.

The “money 6” will then vote out Southampton, Everton and West Ham from having a voice making the top 6 a closed shop.

Then United and Liverpool will sell there own games on there own media platforms cutting themselves adrift of the rest of the money 6 making the top 2 a closed shop. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Quite a few League 1 and 2 owners/chairmen coming out and with their support this idea. Unsurprisingly the thought of a few million quid crossing their palms will seem attractive. Short term thinking and not looking at the bigger picture.

More concerning is Derby's CEO Stephen Pearson who is one of the 3 Championship clubs representatives on the Board of the EFL is also in favour.

Even if the EFL are happy to go for it I would be surprised if there are 14 PL teams happy to vote for it, which is what they would need. Even West Ham one of the 'favoured 9' don't like it. 

Would the likes of sheff u, west ham vote in favour. Why limit the chances of getting back up.

Can see why some lg1 and 2 chairman would vote for it chance for some of them to get their money back they have put in to loss making clubs. Can see money going to a club then the owner taking it straight back and walking out.

Can tbe EFL be reformed to be able to stand on it's oen 2 feet. 

1/Keep league Cup (without Prem Teams) 

2/TV deal for EFL games 

3/Create a Euro Cup competition 

Cut Premier Leage Circus adrift no relegation or promotion. 

4/Get rid of FFP 

5/Implement a wage cap

????? 

Edited by akbuk
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, akbuk said:

Can tbe EFL be reformed to be able to stand on it's oen 2 feet. 

1/Keep league Cup (without Prem Teams) 

2/TV feal for EFL games 

3/Create a Euro Cup competition 

Cut Premier Leage Circus adrift no relegation or promotion. 

4/Get rid of FFP 

5/Implement a wage cap

????? 

I've  long advocated this approach. I think the FA have it in their gift to allocate a European place to the winner of the Championship and retain the league cup place, even if PL clubs dont compete, to generate value and meaningful trophies.

Not that I think for a minute that their is a will to do so, much like the PL, the championship also have their powerbrokers who are chasing the money currently with the PL and some owners (potentially including ours) may walk away without that. 

From a footballing perspective, I have no issue cutting the PL loose. I genuinely believe there is more scope to promotion and relegation and the competitive element within EFL leagues than the same top 6 and other cannon fodder in the PL. Some may say it's a backwards step to the days before the PL, but there is such a disconnect now in football, maybe that's not a bad thing.

It frustrates me that the EFL constantly under sells itself, accepting scraps and PL dictat. Part of that comes from the lack of meaningful competition, the reward comes from not being in the EFL, consequently no championship club wants to be in the EFL, therefore not surprisingly it's often disjointed and neglected, to the detriment of L1 and L2 clubs. 

• Like 2