Breaking- Premier league re structure

6 minutes ago, Minton said:

I would agree to all of the suggestions except the big 6 having the voting power. That stinks to me.

That’s the thing. If this is about improving the game crack on do it without.

16 minutes ago, Minton said:

I would agree to all of the suggestions except the big 6 having the voting power. That stinks to me.

Really? 

EFL clubs being essentially unable to raise their own money through TV rights, sponsorship, no local companies being involved etc? 

The Premiership becoming even more of a closed shop with reduced numbers, withholding TV money from newly promoted clubs, prize money based on average position over 4 seasons etc? 

Reducing the only silverware we have won in living memory to a pointless Vans trophy style joke? 

Edited by owlinexile
  • Like 2

Just now, owlinexile said:

Really? 

EFL clubs being essentially unable to raise their own money through TV rights, sponsorship, no local companies being involved etc? 

The Premiership becoming even more of a closed shop with reduced numbers, withholding TV money from newly promoted clubs, prize money based on average position over 4 seasons etc? 

Reducing the only silverware we have won in living memory to a pointless Vans trophy style joke? 

The proposals as they stand, have 9 teams with a weighted vote with only 6 of those needed to make dramatic changes to the league (such as a change of leader or change of television money distribution). That's a joke and if that comes in, they might as well form a breakaway league anyway.

• Like 2

If this goes through I’m done with football. Been hoping for a return to the PL for 20 years and this will effectively kill that hope. 

It’s the first step to a closed shop or franchise system. How long till relegation is off the table?

Parry is a full weight c**t who started all this elitism years ago. He’s now back to finish the job. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, southportdc said:

The top 6 have much less to gain by cutting off a relegation place than the sides that regularly finish in the bottom half do.

So it doesn't make any sense to think that the top 6 are more likely to reduce relegation places than the bottom half of the Prem are.

Yes but now Liverpool and Man. Utd want to reduce the number of teams in the PL by 2.

That means either relegating 4 and promoting only 2 from the championship,  or relegating 2 with no promotion.

Then in the future the 9 out of the 18 with their increased voting powers will find it much easier to relegate more teams and reduce the PL numbers even further.

I believe their ultimate aim is for a much smaller Premier League and playing in some sort of European super league.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

According to reports only 6 clubs have voted for it so that's that, 14 premier clubs are asking for Parry's resignation which i thought was a bit rich. 

Then i realised part of his remit is to try and do deals with the premier league , which is now untenable when 14 chairman have no faith in him.

Somebody raised a point on the radio, with two clubs dropping out and the end of parachute payments the £350 million premier league are giving the EFL & FA is fuuck all only what they are saving with the restructure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, southportdc said:

If this were true, don't you think the other 14 PL teams would be in favour? 

It's their money we're getting. This reduces the gap, rather than reinforcing it. 

Instead, it means it's even harder for a new club to establish themselves in the top 6. The big clubs want to stop another Leicester, not protect clubs like the pigs. 

It's not their aim to protect those clubs, it's a by product. It makes it easier for the current prem teams to stay there once they've survived the initial cull to 18.

You might as well have four separate divisions at this rate, heck have 5 and let the top 6 in the PL have a mini league.

We all know their is a divide, that the top 6 largely rule the roost, but all this does is absolutely solidifies it. The idea of anyone outside of this cartel breaking the top 6 is all but put to bed if this goes through.

You get to the point where you might as well describe it as non-competitive football, as things will be so weighted in favour of a select few. 

We will likely end up being some sort of feeder club. 

• Like 2

Thing is, you look at the parties involved and it doesn't entirely inspire confidence:

The top 6 - want to not only be the best teams in England, but they want to but the governors of the game too. Bu doing so, they completely solidify themselves as top dogs, pretty much stopping anyone from being successful.

The rest of the PL - seemingly quite happy to sit back and let the EFL collapse in on itself. 250 million is the figure required, yet they've so far coughed up 150, 100 of which will be a loan. Many believe they shouldn't have to really cough up anything, see Palace, Burnley etc.

Rick Parry - the former Liverpool chief exec who was key in the breakaway of the PL and the redistribution of tv income in the early 90s. Conveniently draws up a plan with his former employees which sees them take on unprecedented power and influence over the game as a whole.

The EFL - well, they're utter useless, aren't they? From clubs like us spending silly money, to stupid FFP rules, to letting prem teans in the JPT, agreeing tv deals without club approval...you could go on and on. Now, they're basically selling their souls to the highest bidder. Idiots. 

• Like 3

The more I think about this proposal the more I can't help thinking that the timing of of it absolutely stinks. They've waited until Parrys in place and a lot of EFL clubs are hanging on by the skin of their teeth. Therefore the support amongst the EFL clubs is gonna be huge because most need cash and need cash now! It all seems to be pre planned to have the most disruptive effect. YMMV  

We're witnessing the end of football as we knew it. The writing was on the wall when the Premier League was formed, when the old First Division and European Cup were rebranded. Sickening to see it happen during a pandemic, without fans. Hell, they carried on playing without fans, they'll carry on with or without smaller clubs. They don't care about history, tradition or fans, and they never have. The game as been dying for a long time but we're finally witnessing the final nail in the coffin, all for extra power and greed. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Frazzlebeak said:

The more I think about this proposal the more I can't help thinking that the timing of of it absolutely stinks. They've waited until Parrys in place and a lot of EFL clubs are hanging on by the skin of their teeth. Therefore the support amongst the EFL clubs is gonna be huge because most need cash and need cash now! It all seems to be pre planned to have the most disruptive effect. YMMV  

Basically using Covid to strengthen their situation. Not surprised at all. 

19 minutes ago, Frazzlebeak said:

I think this proposal was probably designed to cause shock and derision , it’s the counter proposal that’s been slightly sugar coated that will be the one to worry about. Clubs and fans maybe conned into thinking , well this isn’t as bad as the first proposal. Parry should be ousted from his job.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

If it goes through, how long before the Old Firm are invited to participate.

Not a chance. 

The Man Utds and Chelseas of this world don't want to be dealing with their brand of controversy.   Nor will they want to share their money and power over the game with any more clubs. 

Slightly more chance that the 14 other Premiership clubs could break away and invite them to join a new league. 

1 hour ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Yes but now Liverpool and Man. Utd want to reduce the number of teams in the PL by 2.

That means either relegating 4 and promoting only 2 from the championship,  or relegating 2 with no promotion.

Then in the future the 9 out of the 18 with their increased voting powers will find it much easier to relegate more teams and reduce the PL numbers even further.

I believe their ultimate aim is for a much smaller Premier League and playing in some sort of European super league.

Their aim is pretty openly to make the Premier League easier on their players - in terms of number of games and intensity - in order to focus on Europe.

The way the deal is proposed, the clubs with the most votes will get the majority of their income from European games, streaming abroad and commercial rights. The TV deal won't matter that much to them - like parachute payments don't - so they're happy to share that out with the EFL in return for support.

They could decide later to keep it all for themselves, but it's much more likely that the clubs at the bottom half of the PL, who rely on it more, would want to do that. 

1 hour ago, latemodelchild said:

It's not their aim to protect those clubs, it's a by product. It makes it easier for the current prem teams to stay there once they've survived the initial cull to 18.

They don't care about EFL teams either way, other than as a farm for loanees. The aim of all of this is to make life easier for the top 6. FSG and the Glazers believe, according to the Athletic, that one reason the PL is so intense is the huge cost of relegation and so the desperation to avoid it. So their solution is basically to reduce that gap by giving us more money and giving lower-end PL teams less.