Breaking- Premier league re structure

How the fans don't get a say in how football is run in this country is beyond me. Football clubs should not have complete power and say over the direction of the sport in this country. It is a complete conflict of interest. There has to be a balance provided by the customers.

• Like 2

It’s basically blackmail from Liverpool and Man Utd aided and abetted by Parry.

The timing is very cynical and you can absolutely understand why EFL clubs will go for it because they are desperate and it may seem irrelevant to them who is pulling the strings in the Premier League, 90% of the EFL have little chance of getting there.

Of course once 6 clubs can control the destiny of everybody else who knows what happens, except they will definitely get richer and change the rules at a whim in the future.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

The timing is very cynical and you can absolutely understand why EFL clubs will go for it because they are desperate and it may seem irrelevant to them who is pulling the strings in the Premier League, 90% of the EFL have little chance of getting there.

Of course once 6 clubs can control the destiny of everybody else who knows what happens, except they will definitely get richer and change the rules at a whim in the future.

You're sticking all the blame on one bloke when he's doing what most of the clubs he represents are happy to go along with.  Blame them all. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

Opportunities are always seized by the biggest boys and girls in business in every sector.

Plans that were previously being edged towards are pushed forward when others are desperate.  Football is no different.

Yes, and regulators exist to correct the tendency of markets towards monopoly, prevent cartels from forming and preserve competition.

Except in football where it appears the regulator IS the cartel. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

50 minutes ago, Spondon Owl said:

How the fans don't get a say in how football is run in this country is beyond me. Football clubs should not have complete power and say over the direction of the sport in this country. It is a complete conflict of interest. There has to be a balance provided by the customers.

Notice how RS didn't push Tony Stewart on the fact that no fan has phoned up in support of it?

41 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

You're sticking all the blame on one bloke when he's doing what most of the clubs he represents are happy to go along with.  Blame them all. 

Ok then. 

He's an idiot and they're a bunch of ******** idiots. 

Are you happy now? 

• Like 1

Can’t be arsed with football anymore

Project ‘Big Picture’ could very well end it for me, love Wednesday , but absolutely despise every aspect of how this game is run 

2 hours ago, oldishowl said:

It's not blackmail at all. It's bribery. 

Vote for us and you'll get a chunk of money now, and we'll give you a load of money every year going forward. 

Effective bribery, too. The only drawback is EFL teams are highly unlikely to ever establish themselves in the top six of the Prem. Which is the case either way. 

8 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Can’t be arsed with football anymore

Project ‘Big Picture’ could very well end it for me, love Wednesday , but absolutely despise every aspect of how this game is run 

Oddly, had a similar discussion with a mate of mine who is a Man Yoo fan. 

Echoed my sentiments on the whole thing being an outright embarrassment. As he said: what's the point of a competitive sports league when the league is so heavily skewed in the favour of a select few? I mean, it's like that anyway, without Liverpool, Man U, Spurs etc., pretty much assuming governance of English football going forward. 

The whole pyramid is a rank mix of greed and incompetence. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Oddly, had a similar discussion with a mate of mine who is a Man Yoo fan. 

Echoed my sentiments on the whole thing being an outright embarrassment. As he said: what's the point of a competitive sports league when the league is so heavily skewed in the favour of a select few? I mean, it's like that anyway, without Liverpool, Man U, Spurs etc., pretty much assuming governance of English football going forward. 

The whole pyramid is a rank mix of greed and incompetence. 

Absolutely pal,  also don’t care if the majority of clubs agree with Parry and want this deal , the fact the fans have zero say in it for me is the deal breaker ... games not for me anymore 

5 hours ago, flo said:

You dont have to imagine it starts next season feat. more teams from worse countries and one team from the better countries

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Europa_Conference_League

What would you have to do to win this prestigious honour?

We’re not going to make league cup winners / sixth / seventh place in the prem play in this poo are we?

Edited by TrueOwl

Prem clubs now threatening to break away if this doesn't go through. Well, the greedy 6 are anyway. Absolutely devastated to read that 90% of EFL clubs back this idea. If it happens then we may as well all give up on any hopes and dreams we have of Wednesday ever winning anything other than individual matches. We'll probably never go up and even if we do we'll be so hamstrung in terms of the players we can get that it won't be worth it anyway. Parachute payments are crap but they make sure the prem is a bit more level than it will be without them. They distort the championship so the prem can be better. Take them away and you either get a 6 club procession every week or 3 teams going bust most seasons. 

Also add in that these grand plans will cost 2 clubs their league place so the prem can benefit. The EFL ought to say that in the season it happens the 2 extra clubs that drop out of the prem are the ones who lose their league status. They can re enter at a lower level unless they want to pay, 1 billion pounds per league they want to jump through. 8 billion or so will see both those teams back in the hunt for promotion to league 2. Distribute that money amongst the EFL 72 with the exception of the 3 other prem teams that come down. They get nowt because then we will get more. Who wants to vote? 

14 hours ago, striker said:

Exactly.

The FA are very quiet on the matter, happy to accept their kickback but as the overall governing body for English football? shouldn't they be a little more high profile at the moment? 

They should be the ones commenting and have an opinion, if this goes through they will lose what power they have.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, southportdc said:

It's not blackmail at all. It's bribery. 

Vote for us and you'll get a chunk of money now, and we'll give you a load of money every year going forward. 

Effective bribery, too. The only drawback is EFL teams are highly unlikely to ever establish themselves in the top six of the Prem. Which is the case either way. 

It’s blackmail as well because the big boys are saying this is the only way we are going to bail out the EFL. 
The reason the EFL clubs are keen are obviously the promised ongoing 25% but also the fact that they won’t get the 250 million promised bailout if they don’t agree to this.

We could have a competition to guess how long it will stay at 25% and how long relegation will stay. Not long.

Another issue is 25% of what.

One of the first changes the big 6 will bring in is the right for them to own and sell their own streaming and tv rights as a club on their own media. This will take a massive chunk out of the overall tv deals and they won’t give 25% of their own fees to the EFL 

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/13/efl-clubs-agree-to-put-their-support-behind-project-big-picture?CMP=share_btn_tw&__twitter_impression=true

Unanimously agreed by the championship, a few in league 1 and 2 saying no. 

This is the death of football as we know it. Anyone outside the 18 prem clubs that are left will be feeder clubs and nothing more. Probably best that local clubs use other local clubs so we'll be either feeder for Leeds or the pigs. Obviously they won't want us up there with em though so they'll not give us any decent players in case we get close. Now where do I sign up for another 550 quid season ticket? 

• Like 1