Breaking- Premier league re structure

16 minutes ago, striker said:

I've  long advocated this approach. I think the FA have it in their gift to allocate a European place to the winner of the Championship and retain the league cup place, even if PL clubs dont compete, to generate value and meaningful trophies.

Not that I think for a minute that their is a will to do so, much like the PL, the championship also have their powerbrokers who are chasing the money currently with the PL and some owners (potentially including ours) may walk away without that. 

From a footballing perspective, I have no issue cutting the PL loose. I genuinely believe there is more scope to promotion and relegation and the competitive element within EFL leagues than the same top 6 and other cannon fodder in the PL. Some may say it's a backwards step to the days before the PL, but there is such a disconnect now in football, maybe that's not a bad thing.

It frustrates me that the EFL constantly under sells itself, accepting scraps and PL dictat. Part of that comes from the lack of meaningful competition, the reward comes from not being in the EFL, consequently no championship club wants to be in the EFL, therefore not surprisingly it's often disjointed and neglected, to the detriment of L1 and L2 clubs. 

If a European spot is in the gift of the FA why don't they do it?  On second thoughts the PL will probably stop clubs releasing players for the England games and refuse breaks both said games. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rickygoo said:

According to Conn I the Guardian today - "The EFL chairman, Rick Parry, has stressed his 72 clubs’ support and gratitude for the plan".

Megalomanis springs to mind. Who voted him in to run the league. Do we know what his salary is and does he get a bonus for this plan.

8 hours ago, vulva said:

Playing devils advocate why should Premier League clubs financially bail out clubs like us when we are paying £1m a year for a goalkeeper who we won’t play. 

Money well spent, stops him saving points for other clubs so helping us out no end!

7 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

If a European spot is in the gift of the FA why don't they do it?  On second thoughts the PL will probably stop clubs releasing players for the England games and refuse breaks both said games. 

Create another European competition altogether there will plenty of other 2nd tier leagues in similar positions. 

Both codes of Rugby managed to do it

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harrysgame said:

Exactly.

The FA are very quiet on the matter, happy to accept their kickback but as the overall governing body for English football? shouldn't they be a little more high profile at the moment? 

1 hour ago, akbuk said:

Create another European competition altogether there will plenty of other 2nd tier leagues in similar positions. 

Both codes of Rugby managed to do it

Don't disagree, but why should the PL keep all the European places?

(If European competition to be the expanded, as suggested,  they would be no worse off)

3 hours ago, HighworthOwl said:

If this happens within a couple of years they will reduce the amount they give the EFL. Making the premier league a closed shop. And squeeze the finances of those lower down the pyramid.

The “money 6” will then vote out Southampton, Everton and West Ham from having a voice making the top 6 a closed shop.

Then United and Liverpool will sell there own games on there own media platforms cutting themselves adrift of the rest of the money 6 making the top 2 a closed shop. 

100% this. EX Bournemouth player on SSN saying they would be worried if parachute payments were stopped as it would make it very difficult for teams like Bournemouth to get promoted back to the EPL.

2 hours ago, striker said:

I've  long advocated this approach. I think the FA have it in their gift to allocate a European place to the winner of the Championship and retain the league cup place, even if PL clubs dont compete, to generate value and meaningful trophies.

I didn’t know that and for the life of me can’t understand why the FA have never done it.

It would rejuvenate the Championship and EFL. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Owling with laughter said:

I didn’t know that and for the life of me can’t understand why the FA have never done it.

It would rejuvenate the Championship and EFL. 

I could be wrong, but I thought UEFA allocate places to national associations and they are then disseminated through domestic competition.

58 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

If owners of EFL clubs were adept at making good decisions then they wouldn't be in a position of having to sell their souls now. 

Sadly that's not the case and the money to save them today matters much more than any restrictions that they will be voted under tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, striker said:

Exactly.

The FA are very quiet on the matter, happy to accept their kickback but as the overall governing body for English football? shouldn't they be a little more high profile at the moment? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54531760

Why lash out at everybody? This is a tricky time - most clubs overall will support these proposals. Opposition has to be clever. 

Sounds like L1 and L2 teams so desperate, they'll sell their soul for any amount of cash at the moment, such is the dire situation.

Championship clubs don't give a poo as non of them want to be in the EFL. All want the cash to chase the greater PL cash via promotion.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, modboy said:

maybe they could arrange a 2nd tier european competition? 

Be a good opportunity for  2nd tier clubs to have a bit of fun each season.  Play off finalist and highest other finisher instead of EFL cup.

Can you imagine how poo a poor man's Europa League would be?

Maybe start a pre-season play-off competition for a Europa League spot for the teams automatically promoted from Europe's best second tiers.

Imo, the League Cup should be for domestic teams who haven't qualified for Europe. 

Allow clubs to negotiate loan deals for youth players outside of transfer windows so that academy graduates from English clubs in European Competitions can gain the league and league cup experience they need to progress their careers.