Garry Monk post match comments

Guest Ronson
1 minute ago, Therealrealist said:

Ran a lot but what did he actually do? Time to thank him and let him move on

I'd try and keep him TBH but did I read somewhere Ipswich had him lined up for a 2 year deal? Think we'd only offer him a 1 year deal so you could get your wish. Is that white car still in the Wednesdayite car park BTW?😀

To be fair to Monk he looked very frustrated during the Sky interview after the game, and was honest about the game.

Played  well first half and should’ve been in front, just didn’t take the chances. Awful individual decision making cost us second half. Fair assessment.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

The simple facts are we are the worst team in the championship since xmas day , we are awful and now have a threadbare squad , having to put on young lads who are totally out of there depth worries me that monk thinks there the way forward . We need young quality players from premier league like most other championship clubs get . Homegrown sadly are miles off the pace. Our incredibly poor u23 set up sadly never seems to improve . Sack all academy staff if hunt or that young full back are the best we have , both look kids in a headlight . 

Suppose you are right that we are the worse team since Xmas but the league doesn’t work like that, it matters who’s the worse after all the games have been played and we certainly are not the worse post COVID and if anything we look revitalised in attitude and commitment. The results will come, may be next season by the time Monk and the players get it right but I’m confident we are heading in the right direction. 

Edited by Penfold

4 minutes ago, cookeh said:

I think Hunt will replace Bannan in the starting 11 in League One next year. 

God help us . Ive nothing against the lad but he is out of his depth and he is too small , he would need to be an exceptional talent to cut it at his size which he clearly isnt . How the heck has this happened .its a circus our club. 

1 hour ago, BIG D said:

Do you reckon any of the clubs where Monk has been would have him back?

Don’t know about the clubs but the fans at both Leeds and Birmingham liked him. ( until he fell out afterwards with clotet of course)

He got a lot out of a very small squad at Birmingham and took Leeds to their highest points and finish in quite a few years.

5 minutes ago, Frazzlebeak said:

To be fair to Monk he looked very frustrated during the Sky interview after the game, and was honest about the game.

Played  well first half and should’ve been in front, just didn’t take the chances. Awful individual decision making cost us second half. Fair assessment.

13 pts from the last 54. The buck stops with Monk. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

The buck always stops withe manager at any club but I can’t see anyone pulling any trees up with some of the players we have. And I’m no Monk fan by the way.

8 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Don’t know about the clubs but the fans at both Leeds and Birmingham liked him. ( until he fell out afterwards with clotet of course)

He got a lot out of a very small squad at Birmingham and took Leeds to their highest points and finish in quite a few years.

Fans at Swansea, Leeds and Birmingham liked Monk. Boro fans hated him, mind you.

I think we need to give him some slack - we are a club with a whole raft of issues and it will take some time sorting it out. I think as a fanbase, we need to get behind the manager and the club and stick together. 

1 minute ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Fans at Swansea, Leeds and Birmingham liked Monk. Boro fans hated him, mind you.

I think we need to give him some slack - we are a club with a whole raft of issues and it will take some time sorting it out. I think as a fanbase, we need to get behind the manager and the club and stick together. 

His teams at both Birmingham and Leeds were tough, physical hard running teams .

He will be really struggling to understand some of the players he has got at the moment.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

God help us . Ive nothing against the lad but he is out of his depth and he is too small , he would need to be an exceptional talent to cut it at his size which he clearly isnt . How the heck has this happened .its a circus our club. 

Well, Bannan manages in this league. Billy Gilmour manages in the Premier League. I think Hunt could cope in League One if he doesn't just get kicked up in the air every game.
Would be the making or the breaking of him, that's for sure.

2 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Well, Bannan manages in this league. Billy Gilmour manages in the Premier League. I think Hunt could cope in League One if he doesn't just get kicked up in the air every game.
Would be the making or the breaking of him, that's for sure.

Thats the thing league 1 you get kicked all over , many a succesful manager in that league use big physical players . Lightweight dont work. 

Just now, kobayashi said:

He‘s a poor manager, give him as long as you like and the chance to bring in 20, 30, 50 new players and he will still be a poor manager.

As long as chansiri is owner as long as paxo is the advisor as long as monk is manager as long as our non excistant coaching set up continues then the club can only keep going backwards. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

As long as chansiri is owner as long as paxo is the advisor as long as monk is manager as long as our non excistant coaching set up continues then the club can only keep going backwards. 

There is no doubt that they all leave a lot to be desired but Bruce showed that even in unpromising circumstances that a decent 1st team manager/coach can make a positive difference in a short period of time. Similarly Monk has shown that a not very good one can also make a difference reasonably quickly too...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Exactly this. Yes we've played slightly better since lockdown ended up we've still only won one game in 4. 

We desperately need points on the board or we are going to be in league 1 next season. Will people still want to give Monk time if he takes us down

• Like 2

Trouble is until we know the outcome of the hearing, we are all in limbo. Supporters, players, staff and owner. We look a totally disjointed team, but there are so many individual errors which Monk just cannot be blamed for.

Obviously, the spirit in the squad, or lack of it, is heavily down to him, as are the tactics, team selection and subs. I get the feeling that if we go down, he will be given the chance to get us straight back up. If we are fortunate enough to stay up, my gut feeling is he will be gone. 

5 minutes ago, Devonstrix said:

Obviously, the spirit in the squad, or lack of it, is heavily down to him, as are the tactics, team selection and subs. I get the feeling that if we go down, he will be given the chance to get us straight back up. If we are fortunate enough to stay up, my gut feeling is he will be gone. 

I think this is what is known as a misaligned management incentive scheme. Achieve the bare minimum, get the sack. Fail to achieve the bare minimum get an extended contract...

• Haha 1