Garry Monk post match comments

Guest Ronson

Monks trying to rebuild and whilst doing so has us competing and not playing too badly, certainly an improvement on pre covid. He needs cutting some slack IMHO.

26 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

"The players are as frustrated as me. You sit here with a loss but a big part of me from a coaching perspective sees how far these players have come in a short space of time."

Not come far enough to start winning more than 1 game though...

A bang average championship manager, for a bang average championship team. That's the current reality.

Monk has never got a team promoted, yet some are excited about the re-build that he envisages in the close season and beyond.

I hope he proves me wrong, but right now that top table seems years away.

• Like 4

Guest mrbluesky
17 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Iorfa had to go to imo. The men behind him were marked and Murphy could have cut out the ball across, but pulled out of it.

I will say that when Iorfa started to go wide, the alarm bells did start ringing, but that was only because he and Borner are the only competent players we have defensively on the pitch. But that's Monk's fault, so..

100% he had to, it`s reaction and reading of the game that comes in to question, BUT he`s youngish and still learning, I was just pointing out he wasn`t "solid" as a poster said, we had a fragile back line in the run up to lock down, it`s still the same and we are threadbare.

To me there`s a lot of mistrust between players, in that they can`t trust them to do their job and that can create nervousness, which seems to be rearing it`s ugly head. 

Totally agree with his comments, we played very well first half. We need to be making it count though, we need to be putting our chances away. I like how he's got the team set up and they are working hard as a unit. We need to cut out individual mistakes, they are killing us. We're certainly playing way better than before the break. This for me is the beginning of the new team in readiness for next season, and with some key additions we will be much higher up the table.

Monk is not my cup of tea but he’s come in with a load of issues at the football club. 

Personally, I think we all need to get behind him as this job is not easy with all the FFP issues as well as this stale and disruptive group that he inherited. There’s clearly been issues in that dressing room and he is getting it sorted.

If Monk is pleased with that performance, he is delusional. Swansea were poor and we have players who consistently underperform. They simply don’t look bothered to me. The only ones I would see in a top end championship side are Iorfa and Bonner. Wouldn’t miss any other player.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mkowl said:

What is it 13 points out of 54 available since Christmas

Yet we are supposed to trust him to rebuild - with players who will be with us on 3 year contracts and so we will be stuck with them. Not impressed with signings like Da Cruz who has so little impact on games, so I have seen nothing inspirational from Monk to think he's worth the trust.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cookeh said:

He's not rebuilding. He's emptying the dressing room bit by bit. Getting rid of everyone he can, even the kids and falling out with the senior players who are still contracted in the hope they'll leave.

You've just totally made that up

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Owlstalk Shop

22 minutes ago, debram said:

It's very frustrating but we just don't have the quality in front of goal, fletch is a massive loss imo. 

I think we do. We just don't make any chances for them. How many chances has Wickham and Rhodes had made for them over the last two games? Rhodes had one half chance, Wickham's mostly made them for himself. We still have no supply, it's embarrassing.

• Like 1

Guest mkowl
Just now, Daz said:

Yet we are supposed to trust him to rebuild - with players who will be with us on 3 year contracts and so we will be stuck with them. Not impressed with signings like Da Cruz who has so little impact on games, so I have seen nothing inspirational from Monk to think he's worth the trust.

Can't argue with that 

2 minutes ago, cookeh said:

I think we do. We just don't make any chances for them. How many chances has Wickham and Rhodes had made for them over the last two games? Rhodes had one half chance, Wickham's mostly made them for himself. We still have no supply, it's embarrassing.

Do you watch the games mate, or just read people's views?

Serious question btw.

Just now, @owlstalk said:

You've just totally made that up

Who've we resigned for next year? Just Pessy, right? We've let/are letting everyone else go.
We've gutted the youth team, including letting Borukov go, who Monk had in the matchday squad earlier this year. Suddenly he's in the bin.
He's fallen out with Westwood, Hutch and now seems to be engineering a thing with Lees. He's continued to marginalised Rhodes by yanking him at half time.

What is Monk building exactly? Anyone got anything?

• Like 1