Garry Monk post match comments

18 minutes ago, Devonstrix said:

Trouble is until we know the outcome of the hearing, we are all in limbo. Supporters, players, staff and owner. We look a totally disjointed team, but there are so many individual errors which Monk just cannot be blamed for.

Obviously, the spirit in the squad, or lack of it, is heavily down to him, as are the tactics, team selection and subs. I get the feeling that if we go down, he will be given the chance to get us straight back up. If we are fortunate enough to stay up, my gut feeling is he will be gone. 

The spirit in the squad seems pretty decent post-lockdown to me.

• Like 1

The person that needs to be more ruthless is dc, we need a winner in charge who can attract the right players and get the best out of them.

There's not much evidence of that behind the excuses imo, so hopefully there will be better options available this summer for a much needed radical overhaul

• Haha 1

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, GLOwl said:

I haven't missed how thin the squad will be at the end of the season. That is a very good thing as we can start the long awaited rebuild. Let monk have his chance with his team, looking forward to it.

What a shame that monk doesn't agree with you on borukov being our second most senior striker. As you say, he's been on the bench a few times and you can't get any better than that.😂😂

Im not sure it’s a good thing tbh.. when the loan players go back, who do we have who are any good.

Westwood

Iorfa

Bannan

Thats it really if top 6 was the goal, plus Westwood hasn’t played in ages so who knows if he’s the same player. Then a number of others who are good enough for this level as squad players:

Wildsmith
Palmer

Borner

Luongo

Lee

Reach

Nuhui

The rest of our in contract players are terrible (Dawson, Pelupessy, Harris) or past it (Lees, Rhodes). We need 8 new starters and 6 new squad players in my opinion. 

This is a worse position than when Milan left as we had Westwood, Lees, Loovens, Hutchinson and Lee all in their prime and we just needed to add attacking quality.

If we were prepared to go out and spend £30m like summer 2015 then we could compete. Nothing about anything that’s come from the chairman recently suggests that’s going to happen. So we’re looking at freebies and loans, and not having the quality to go for promotion. On top of that we have a poor man manager who’s ostracised players regularly both here and elsewhere. We might as well go with an unproven young manager (e.g. Ryan Lowe) from the lower leagues given we’re going to be treading water until either there’s another takeover or there’s a number of seasons pass where we’re able to add 3-4 quality frees year on year and build something. And in the meantime the real risk is relegation while all this happens. 

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

From a coaching perspective, they are doing a lot right but when you are so dominant, you have to make that count and it’s something that will have to change. It was a position we should never have been in

One thing that need to change is the very irritating habit we have of passing the ball (including throws-in) to people wearing different coloured shirts to ours.

We must hold the world record for the number of times that we commit this very basic error, match after match.

If Garry is going to pass any comment, someone has posted the league table since Christmas. I’d really like Monk to pass comment on this and explain it away. (I’m not trying to be obnoxious but would really like to hear his take on the reason for this alarming decline)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GMOwl72 said:

If Garry is going to pass any comment, someone has posted the league table since Christmas. I’d really like Monk to pass comment on this and explain it away. (I’m not trying to be obnoxious but would really like to hear his take on the reason for this alarming decline)

I don't think we'll get to hear his honest take on the past 5 months until he's long gone from the Hillsborough hot-seat, if at all.

I think Monk has had a tough gig this season, bloated, overpaid, average squad that shows they are not capable of the fight. If we stay up, would I want him to build a team? Not sure but who else would want to come in and build brand new team?

Edited by SwellOwl

32 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

This ^^^ yet people refuse to see or believe this is anything to do with Monk. 

Whilst it's got plenty to do with Monk, does anybody ever question why we cant attract manager's like Chris Hughton or sign players like Hector. 

3 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Im not sure it’s a good thing tbh.. when the loan players go back, who do we have who are any good.

Westwood

Iorfa

Bannan

Thats it really if top 6 was the goal, plus Westwood hasn’t played in ages so who knows if he’s the same player. Then a number of others who are good enough for this level as squad players:

Wildsmith
Palmer

Borner

Luongo

Lee

Reach

Nuhui

The rest of our in contract players are terrible (Dawson, Pelupessy, Harris) or past it (Lees, Rhodes). We need 8 new starters and 6 new squad players in my opinion. 

This is a worse position than when Milan left as we had Westwood, Lees, Loovens, Hutchinson and Lee all in their prime and we just needed to add attacking quality.

If we were prepared to go out and spend £30m like summer 2015 then we could compete. Nothing about anything that’s come from the chairman recently suggests that’s going to happen. So we’re looking at freebies and loans, and not having the quality to go for promotion. On top of that we have a poor man manager who’s ostracised players regularly both here and elsewhere. We might as well go with an unproven young manager (e.g. Ryan Lowe) from the lower leagues given we’re going to be treading water until either there’s another takeover or there’s a number of seasons pass where we’re able to add 3-4 quality frees year on year and build something. And in the meantime the real risk is relegation while all this happens. 

It is a great thing having a thin squad at the end of the season, for too long we've carried the baggage forward. A big clear out has been needed for a long long time and finally it is happening.

By the way boerner isn't just a squad player and harris isn't terrible, give your head a wobble.

We don't need to spend £30 million to get a good team. Look at our neighbours for one and also the financial landscape has totally changed in football now, especially below the premier league. Most teams will be picking up free or low transfer fee players.

You say we'll be treading water for a few years so therefore bring in an unproven manager. Really? Sounds a totally crazy suggestion to me and would be a complete disaster.

What's this about monk alienating players? It's called dealing with the trouble makers. Long time overdue, well played Mr monk!

Edited by GLOwl
Spelling error

we are what we are,  a club in decline who cant buy players have very few(if any) we can sell,some we dont want and  cant afford but cant get rid of , some we wanted to keep but cant  give em what they wanted ........terrible situation but i wouldnt be looking in monks direction when it comes to blame  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Whilst it's got plenty to do with Monk, does anybody ever question why we cant attract manager's like Chris Hughton or sign players like Hector. 

Steve Bruce, Iorfa. Both better IMO. You can’t sign every player or manager, we compete with 44 other clubs.

this reminds so much of the the late 60/early  70s .....a half decent team and slowly one by one  they are replaced with inferior cheaper players due to the financial restraints and then you start pinning your hopes  in your inadequate youth policy  ..........they always say what goes around comes around and i have a nasty feeling they could be right.

• Like 2

Guest LondonOwl313
10 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

It is a great thing having a thin squad at the end of the season, for too long we've carried the baggage forward. A big clear out has been needed for a long long time and finally it is happening.

By the way boerner isn't just a squad player and harris isn't terrible, give your head a wobble.

We don't need to spend £30 million to get a good team. Look at our neighbours for one and also the financial landscape has totally changed in football now, especially below the premier league. Most teams will be picking up free or low transfer fee players.

You say we'll be treading water for a few years so therefore bring in an unproven manager. Really? Sounds a totally crazy suggestion to me and would be a complete disaster.

What's this about monk alienating players? It's called dealing with the trouble makers. Long time overdue, well played Mr monk!

You clearly have low expectations because if the objective is promotion you have to compare vs the other clubs at the top of the division. Borner is ok, but not as good as Hector, Jansen, Cooper etc. Therefore I don’t see how you can think he’s good enough for that objective given he wouldn’t displace anyone in our competitors teams.

Similarly for Harris, he’s no Knockeart is he. Doesn’t score or assist many. Never really played a full season at this level until this year and not pulled up any trees. Simply not good enough.

If a clearout means we can then bring in new players of equal or better quality then fair enough. But we aren’t doing that. You’re deluded if you think it wouldn’t take £30m to get us from where we are now to promotion contenders. Even Utd spent some money on Egan etc. And that’s before we compare managers, they have a serial promotion winner and we have a serial journeyman failure.

I think most sane people can see we’re on the road to nowhere here.

4 minutes ago, Bukta said:

Steve Bruce, Iorfa. Both better IMO. You can’t sign every player or manager, we compete with 44 other clubs.

Bruce....was in no rush to join us, couldn't wait to leave, now a distant memory. 

Iorfa is a good player in this league, to get promoted we probably need another dozen like him. Yet we plod on with the overpaid has beens and never will be's. We had one stand out player this season, couldn't wait to leave.

All Monk's fault.

5 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

Ran a lot but what did he actually do? Time to thank him and let him move on

Tbf Lee was buzzing about well, some nice tidy play & touches, runs into the box. Better players around him would have fed him in 

Edited by FreshOwl

11 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

You clearly have low expectations because if the objective is promotion you have to compare vs the other clubs at the top of the division. Borner is ok, but not as good as Hector, Jansen, Cooper etc. Therefore I don’t see how you can think he’s good enough for that objective given he wouldn’t displace anyone in our competitors teams.

Similarly for Harris, he’s no Knockeart is he. Doesn’t score or assist many. Never really played a full season at this level until this year and not pulled up any trees. Simply not good enough.

If a clearout means we can then bring in new players of equal or better quality then fair enough. But we aren’t doing that. You’re deluded if you think it wouldn’t take £30m to get us from where we are now to promotion contenders. Even Utd spent some money on Egan etc. And that’s before we compare managers, they have a serial promotion winner and we have a serial journeyman failure.

I think most sane people can see we’re on the road to nowhere here.

I think most sane people can see that monk inherited a squad that included trouble causers and malingerers and is starting to address it big time. Well done to him I say.

You said £30 million not me, so you're the delusional one.

Borner is easily good enough for a promotion team. I'd also take Harris over knockaert any day, no brainer.

We're not on the road to nowhere, thank goodness. We've been on that since the play off final defeat. We are finally on the road to a new team and I'm pleased about that.

Give monk his chance. He's cleared the decks which was a big thing to do. He gets my support for that. Let's hope the recruitment is good and we can look forward to a better future.

Edited by GLOwl
Spelling error
  • Like 1