The enigma that is Jordan Rhodes

6 minutes ago, Dexter Morgan said:

Another championship team where he will score goals, it’s the Wednesday way, I’ve seen no end of strikers do nothing and be sold only to start banging them in for someone else 

If he scores 10 more goals at this level before he retires I'd be very very surprised, he'll sign for a league one team, maybe that 'll be his level again once he finds his confidence, from what I've seen in the past 4 and a half years I wouldn't have him if we were in League One or Two either.

He's 30 years old now and the last time he was in form was 4 and a half years ago, during which he's played for Us, Boro, Norwich, so hardly the also rans not creating anything for him.

He has shown nothing in the past 4 and a half years (other than 30 minutes against Forest), that indicate he can still be a clinical goalscorer, even Atdhe has hit more goalscoring form more often than Rhodes.

Edited by Guest

Guest Bulgaria
On 29/06/2020 at 17:36, Holmowl said:

Da Cruz doesn’t seem to play striker. When he comes on he goes straight to the wing. 

Talking of Da Cruz, can anyone actually think of anything he has done which makes you think he should be playing?

Apart from his corner against Forest,  what's he actually done?

I just don't get it.

Edited by Bulgaria

2 minutes ago, fingyfop said:

If he scores 10 more goals at this level before he retires I'd be very very surprised, he'll sign for a league one team, maybe that 'll be his level again once he finds his confidence, from what I've seen in the past 4 and a half years I wouldn't have him if we were in League One or Two either.

He's 30 years old now and the last time he was in form was 4 and a half years ago, during which he's played for Us, Boro, Norwich, so hardly the also rans not creating anything for him.

He has shown nothing in the past 4 and a half years (other than 30 minutes against Forest), that indicate he can still be a clinical goalscorer, even Atdhe has hit more goalscoring form more often than Rhodes.

It’s very difficult to argue with that, I just don’t understand how you become a bad player overnight, surely league 1 isn’t his level, maybe he could get 20 goals again at that level, however with the thin bare striking options we have now I’d rather Rhodes lead the line that that donkey we keep using 

2 minutes ago, Dexter Morgan said:

It’s very difficult to argue with that, I just don’t understand how you become a bad player overnight, surely league 1 isn’t his level, maybe he could get 20 goals again at that level, however with the thin bare striking options we have now I’d rather Rhodes lead the line that that donkey we keep using 

It is very strange, I did hope the hat trick against Forest could be a turning point for him.

I think it's possible he's a massive massive confidence player, he's quite a bit more of a timid person in general but I don't know if that's any indication.

I think maybe our best course of action (ignoring finances), would have been to loan Rhodes to a league one team for the first 6 months of a season to give him a chance to start scoring goals and getting confident again, but it's a bit late for us to do anything other than persist or get rid (if we can) now.

44 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

One thing those heat maps do show is that Da Cruz does not operate as a central striker.

Which is half the problem. He drops deep pirouettes with the ball a lot , runs down a blind alley thus allowing the opposition to regroup. He flatters to deceive. But looks great on a heat map apparently. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

One thing those heat maps do show is that Da Cruz does not operate as a central striker.

Don't get me wrong I don't think he's the answer too, they're just the only two players we have who can partner Wickham.

1 hour ago, Emilianenko said:

Which is half the problem. He drops deep pirouettes with the ball a lot , runs down a blind alley thus allowing the opposition to regroup. He flatters to deceive. But looks great on a heat map apparently. 

I'll try it another away for you.

Please tell me your best 3 Jordan Rhodes moments as a Sheffield Wednesday player.

1 is probably the hattrick against Forest, but other than refusing to take a pen against Huddersfield, I can't remember one single noteworthy thing he has done while he's been here, he's finished at this level, if some random kid from the academy came into the team and played like he has these past few years you'd say he was nowhere near good enough and should be released, you are blinded by seeing the striker who scored 4 against us at Hillsborough and terrified all opposition defences, that striker was left at Blackburn.

5 minutes ago, fingyfop said:

I'll try it another away for you.

Please tell me your best 3 Jordan Rhodes moments as a Sheffield Wednesday player.

1 is probably the hattrick against Forest, but other than refusing to take a pen against Huddersfield, I can't remember one single noteworthy thing he has done while he's been here, he's finished at this level, if some random kid from the academy came into the team and played like he has these past few years you'd say he was nowhere near good enough and should be released, you are blinded by seeing the striker who scored 4 against us at Hillsborough and terrified all opposition defences, that striker was left at Blackburn.

He scored on his debut v Birmingham.
I also remember him scoring v Norwich in front of the Kop with a header that he made look so easy not long after signing him.
But yes the biggest thing I remember is refusing to take a pen v Huddersfield in the play off semi, a dereliction of duty in my opinion.

Obviously a while back but didn’t Wickham and Nuhiu work as front two last time Wickham was here.

Personally , from what little I have seen Windass would be the best option at the side of Wickham.

Trouble is games coming so quickly he might not be ready for any.

16 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

He scored on his debut v Birmingham.
I also remember him scoring v Norwich in front of the Kop with a header that he made look so easy not long after signing him.
But yes the biggest thing I remember is refusing to take a pen v Huddersfield in the play off semi, a dereliction of duty in my opinion.

I remember him playing at Hull away as a lone striker.

Did all the things he apparently can't do like holding the ball up , linking play etc. 

He got man of the match and scored the winner.  Played the following week in another win then was off to Norwich. 

At Swansea I would consider putting Murphy up with Wickham.

Difficult because he is playing well out wide but he has the pace to make their defence think twice about pushing too far forward , would help us play on the break because they are a possession based team and he is not a bad finisher.

Would mean Reach or Odubajo as wing back 

19 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

I remember him playing at Hull away as a lone striker.

Did all the things he apparently can't do like holding the ball up , linking play etc. 

He got man of the match and scored the winner.  Played the following week in another win then was off to Norwich. 

Here's the highlights, one thing I really noticed was his movement in the box is a lot better than I've seen lately, he is often very static for balls in the box these days I feel. Seems he won a few good headers too.

That does seem a decent performance, if he played like that even semi consistently I'd be giving him some more leeway.

But I can see we won't agree on this so probably best leaving this one now than argue over the same things with each other, have a good day mate, hope you and yours are well, UTO!

On 29/06/2020 at 23:39, Emilianenko said:

I will try but I doubt you will understand.

First of all when he plays on the shoulder of the last defender he allows us to play further up the pitch. Although he doesn't have great pace he does have great movement which scares defenders.

This helps stretch teams and allows our midfielders and wingbacks to get higher up the pitch and press and play. He did this very well against Brentford ( but he wasn't involved in either goal) 😃

He also has great movement in and around the box, an example of this on Sunday was when he had a shot blocked at the near post. If Murphy had played the ball earlier and not took an extra touch with his left foot he may have scored rather than run out of room for the shot. He also works hard for the team. This goes unnoticed largely because he doesn't win a lot of tackles. What he does do though is stops the early pass from defenders by closing them down enough to stall. It isn't getting tight but blocking the pass.( this is known in the game as screening) It allows the defence to get back in shape.

He was also dropping deeper and holding the ball up well on Sunday, he just keeps it simple neat and tidy which again goes unnoticed.He does this a lot which allows us to build.

He was often doubling up on players with Lee and Luongo when pressing, again this goes unnoticed.

Their was a lot of rotation with him and Wickham. one dropping deep (into the hole) while the other plays off the shoulder. This makes us less predictable when they do this and makes defenders uncertain.

He is also very good defensively from set pieces. Wins a lot of near post headers from the Alan Shearer position.

You're welcome.

Sam Allardyce could have said all of this talking about Robbie Williams up front at Soccer Aid.

Incredibly basic things that you'd expect from a striker at any level.

An analysis of basic things we expect from our strikers doesn't change that he has been a massive failure here.

Still shocks me that he has so many promoters on this forum.

3 minutes ago, Carbone said:

Sam Allardyce could have said all of this talking about Robbie Williams up front at Soccer Aid.

Incredibly basic things that you'd expect from a striker at any level.

An analysis of basic things we expect from our strikers doesn't change that he has been a massive failure here.

Still shocks me that he has so many promoters on this forum.

So why do we play better when he is in the team ?

On 30/06/2020 at 00:13, Emilianenko said:

No he isn't.

I'm not sure why you haven't broken down how Nuhiu is an incredibly effective player when he comes on, is often a nightmare for shattered defenders and always creates something for us, I think if you analysed him in the same way you have Rhodes, you'll find he's a much more effective player for us.

17 minutes ago, Carbone said:

We don't, it's like playing with ten men when Rhodes plays.

17 minutes ago, Carbone said:

We don't, it's like playing with ten men when Rhodes plays.

Results show otherwise , why are you so angry about someone being positive about one oF our own players?