The enigma that is Jordan Rhodes

34 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

So why do we play better when he is in the team ?

SWFC average points per game this season - 1.3

SWFC average points per game this season when Jordan Rhodes has taken part - 1.2

Number of times SWFC have scored 3 or more goals in a game this season when Jordan Rhodes hasn't played - 4

Number of times SWFC have scored 3 or more goals in a game this season when Jordan Rhodes has played - 1

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

Results show otherwise , why are you so angry about someone being positive about one oF our own players?

alanharper's post would suggest that results don't show otherwise...

I'm not angry, I'm just confused that somebody who was brought here to score goals has turned out to be one of our worst signings ever, and you're seemingly celebrating his contribution by going through basic things he does that I'd expect a Sunday league striker to do. 

Our fans tend to conclude pretty quickly that players are garbage, but 3 years on I still read this nonsense about Rhodes and good touches and movement from some.

18 minutes ago, Carbone said:

alanharper's post would suggest that results don't show otherwise...

I'm not angry, I'm just confused that somebody who was brought here to score goals has turned out to be one of our worst signings ever, and you're seemingly celebrating his contribution by going through basic things he does that I'd expect a Sunday league striker to do. 

Our fans tend to conclude pretty quickly that players are garbage, but 3 years on I still read this nonsense about Rhodes and good touches and movement from some.

Harper's post includes lots of games where JR comes on as a late sub when the games already lost. Nobody is celebrating his contribution but merely pointing out what he offers as so many state he offers nowt.

On 29 June 2020 at 13:40, Emilianenko said:

We are  a much better team when he plays.

Comes back into the team at half time against Brentford. He stretches them and we turn a 1-0 scoreline round to win 2-1.

Starts against Derby and we are 1-0 up when he comes off. we draw 1-1.

Starts against Forest in our best performance of the season.

Starts against Stoke aand then dropped as we go on a horrendous run of form.

Starts in the Cup win vs QPR.

After the Covid break he comes back in to the team and we take 4 pointd from 2 tough games against promotion chasing opposition.

But clearly he adds nothing.😎

Not gonna keep repeating myself

On 29 June 2020 at 13:40, Emilianenko said:

We are  a much better team when he plays.

Comes back into the team at half time against Brentford. He stretches them and we turn a 1-0 scoreline round to win 2-1.

Starts against Derby and we are 1-0 up when he comes off. we draw 1-1.

Starts against Forest in our best performance of the season.

Starts against Stoke aand then dropped as we go on a horrendous run of form.

Starts in the Cup win vs QPR.

After the Covid break he comes back in to the team and we take 4 pointd from 2 tough games against promotion chasing opposition.

But clearly he adds nothing.😎

Not gonna keep repeating myself

17 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

Harper's post includes lots of games where JR comes on as a late sub when the games already lost. Nobody is celebrating his contribution but merely pointing out what he offers as so many state he offers nowt.

I think what you've said is the same as reviewing an employee in the office who is under performing, by saying but at least he shows up on time, makes us cups of tea and doesn't leave early, basic things and not doing what he was brought here for.

2 minutes ago, Carbone said:

I think what you've said is the same as reviewing an employee in the office who is under performing, by saying but at least he shows up on time, makes us cups of tea and doesn't leave early, basic things and not doing what he was brought here for.

Apart from improving the companies performance. 

He deserves a bonus.:ph34r:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

Apart from improving the companies performance. 

He deserves a bonus.:ph34r:

Looks like we'll agree to disagree. You can find stats to support whatever argument you want to make, as seen on this page. Spurs lost the first 20 games Bale played for them or something. Messi loses the ball more than any other player. Ronaldo has one of the worst shots to goal ratios around. 

I'm talking about the contribution of Rhodes over the last 3 and a half years from what I've seen with my eyes when he's on the pitch.

38 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

They're not "my" stats, they're "the" stats. And in an attempt to defy the facts you're wrong again. 

For a start, they're actually enhanced by including the Barnsley game when he came on as sub with the game already won, and the Bristol home game when he was subbed at 0-0 and we went on to win.

Also, Rhodes has been brought on as sub with the objective of making a difference when we've been losing or drawing 7 times. 4 of those we were only 1 goal behind, and 3 out of those 4 times he made no difference as we still lost by the same scoreline as when he came on. And on 2 of the 3 times he came on when we were drawing, we went on to lose, the other we still drew - this despite him playing an average of 29 minutes (plus injury time) in these sub appearances.

Edited by alanharper
typo

16 minutes ago, Carbone said:

Looks like we'll agree to disagree. You can find stats to support whatever argument you want to make, as seen on this page. Spurs lost the first 20 games Bale played for them or something. Messi loses the ball more than any other player. Ronaldo has one of the worst shots to goal ratios around. 

I'm talking about the contribution of Rhodes over the last 3 and a half years from what I've seen with my eyes when he's on the pitch.

Okay mate , you seem a lot calmer now . I think you chose the wrong Italian for your username cos you gets angry mad.

15 minutes ago, alanharper said:

They're not "my" stats, they're "the" stats. And in an attempt to defy the facts you're wrong again. 

For a start, they're actually enhanced by including the Barnsley game when he came on as sub with the game already won, and the Bristol home game when he was subbed at 0-0 and we went on to win.

Also, Rhodes has been brought on as sub with the objective of making a difference when we've been losing or drawing 7 times. 4 of those we were only 1 goal behind, and 3 out of those 4 times he made no difference as we still lost by the same scoreline as when he came on. And on 2 of the 3 times he came on when we were drawing, we went on to lose, the other we still drew - this despite him playing an average of 29 minutes (plus injury time) in these sub appearances.

I’m not doing my repeating myself gag again 

He looks slow...He does the odd lay off and folk spaff themselves cos he's linked play...the once.....I'm sorry..I hoped to hell Jordan Rhodes would come good, but he hasn't yet has he?..Not the 10 million quids worth?...be honest.

There is probably too much pressure on him, there always has been..Does this take a toll?...Probably....

But there comes a time when you have to cut your losses, and all in all the signing of Rhodes has been a disappointment..Hasn't it?

15 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

He looks slow...He does the odd lay off and folk spaff themselves cos he's linked play...the once.....I'm sorry..I hoped to hell Jordan Rhodes would come good, but he hasn't yet has he?..Not the 10 million quids worth?...be honest.

There is probably too much pressure on him, there always has been..Does this take a toll?...Probably....

But there comes a time when you have to cut your losses, and all in all the signing of Rhodes has been a disappointment..Hasn't it?

Not even @Carbone would say he’s been a success but he’s far away the best partner we have to partner Wickham right now.

8 hours ago, fingyfop said:

It is very strange, I did hope the hat trick against Forest could be a turning point for him.

I think it's possible he's a massive massive confidence player, he's quite a bit more of a timid person in general but I don't know if that's any indication.

I think maybe our best course of action (ignoring finances), would have been to loan Rhodes to a league one team for the first 6 months of a season to give him a chance to start scoring goals and getting confident again, but it's a bit late for us to do anything other than persist or get rid (if we can) now.

do you think he would agree to drop a division on loan or do you think he would refuse citing he deems himself too good for that level and a bad move for his career? 

1 hour ago, Emilianenko said:

Okay mate , you seem a lot calmer now . I think you chose the wrong Italian for your username cos you gets angry mad.

He didn't get angry in his previous messages.

I've seen you throughout this thread continue to have little digs at everyone who disagrees with you (and some will respond to this with digging back) and declaring how much smarter you think you are than everyone else.

Regardless of your position on Rhodes, you're coming across as a being a bit fragile and unable to debate without attacking others.

2 minutes ago, Dexter Morgan said:

do you think he would agree to drop a division on loan or do you think he would refuse citing he deems himself too good for that level and a bad move for his career? 

Im not sure to be honest, if it was presented as a way to get him back to his best he might do, seems a decent lad without much of an ego.

Remember all of the self-proclaimed experts telling us three years ago how Rhodes "guarantees goals"TM which was fine because after all, "that's what a striker is paid to do"TM and all those other things that forwards did were boring and meaningless? Well look where we are now. Earnest pseudo analysis about the average position of the opponent's defensive players, how well he can hold the ball up and how much he is responsible for the 0.1 points per game difference of whether he plays or not.

:laugh:

29 minutes ago, fingyfop said:

He didn't get angry in his previous messages.

I've seen you throughout this thread continue to have little digs at everyone who disagrees with you (and some will respond to this with digging back) and declaring how much smarter you think you are than everyone else.

Regardless of your position on Rhodes, you're coming across as a being a bit fragile and unable to debate without attacking others.

Mate you reall need to remove that stick from up your a$$