THE EFL HEARING THREAD

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Well last night I thought I understood ageism

After these two posts I'm really confused again

My Grandad used to be humble and good natured and would take the mickey out of his old age. In fact nearly every elderly person I know in Sheffield does that. If you made a joke to them about sucking Werthers Originals etc they'd laugh and give you a bit back about being a young whippersnapper and how I had it all to come when I got to their age etc. I've never once come across a person in real life offended by suggesting they sucked werthers originals.

My nannan used to take her false teeth out and chase us round the kitchen with them, and we'd have a right laugh. I'd joke with her about them and she'd joke about them with me. We had a great time and some of my favourite memories are of us joking with each other about our respective ages and differences.

But now look

I'm properly confused today by it all.

18 minutes ago, daleblue said:

My gripe isn't so much that, but the argument you can abuse one group but not another.

15 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

You wanna try it mate? Com on, I'll have ya! Bring ya crew, lets do it.  Back of South Stand, Old Codgers coming for ya , lets do dis bro.

Will be the one with walking stick, trousers up to my neck, and polished shoes.

Gonna mash ya  

Mess with the South Stand Skull Crushers at your peril!

P.S. The only thing they crush these days are the Werthers that they've been sucking for 10 minutes!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, struckanerve said:

Personally I don't agree with booing our own players, but the definition of hate is "feel intense dislike for", I can't say I've ever seen that from our fanbase apart from a few nutters you'll have in every 30k of people. Some people didn't rate a few players, and they got the odd boo and groan, I'd still not class that as hate. When I played sunday league football as a kid, I'd make a mistake I'd get abuse from the manager and the other dads on the sideline, just how football is. Boos and criticism to tell people to up their performance and hate are different things in my opinion.

Can be bad enough at Hillsborough, but do you go to away games? (not i'm a better fan than you statement, relevant to the point).

Do you remember the regular fights that were breaking out between Wednesdayites at the time. They were mainly caused by fans who "felt intense dislike for" Fox or maybe Dawson on occasions & ones who took offence at the level of this abuse. This was happening regularly.

You obviously are of the opinion that Boos and criticism to tell people to up their performance are some sort of motivational tool that actually works so probably leave it at that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Well last night I thought I understood ageism

After these two posts I'm really confused again

My Grandad used to be humble and good natured and would take the mickey out of his old age. In fact nearly every elderly person I know in Sheffield does that. If you made a joke to them about sucking Werthers Originals etc they'd laugh and give you a bit back about being a young whippersnapper and how I had it all to come when I got to their age etc. I've never once come across a person in real life offended by suggesting they sucked werthers originals.

My nannan used to take her false teeth out and chase us round the kitchen with them, and we'd have a right laugh. I'd joke with her about them and she'd joke about them with me. We had a great time and some of my favourite memories are of us joking with each other about our respective ages and differences.

But now look..

Apparently for trying to have a lighthearted conversation with our older generation about sitting in the South Stand on here some of them have turned it into Nazi behaviour, people dying in care homes etc??

I'm properly confused today by it all.

Don’t ever eat a full pack of Werther's Original quickly.  Read the small print.  They bloody kept that quiet.

13 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I've just read up on ageism to educate myself on it

Ageism, also spelled agism, is stereotyping and/or discrimination against individuals or groups on the basis of their age. This may be casual or systematic.

The term was coined in 1969 by Robert Neil Butler to describe discrimination against seniors, and patterned on sexism and racism.

Butler defined "ageism" as a combination of three connected elements. Among them were prejudicial attitudes towards older people, old age, and the aging process; discriminatory practices against older people; and institutional practices and policies that perpetuate stereotypes about elderly people

I now see that making a joke about South Stand residents, worthers originals and false teeth have been bang out of order and I apologise to anyone offended

I will try harder in future

My kids are fuc**n ageist.

We all have season tickets, mine being the cheapest as it's a concession. 

We therefore decided that we would use mine to get the I Follow deal (as I would get less back on a refund), & they would get refunds on theirs.

I said i'd go along with this if they stopped their ageist attitude & smart arse comments.

The answer was they'd rather split the proceeds of the refunds & carry on with said attitude & comments.

😂

• Haha 6

16 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Can be bad enough at Hillsborough, but do you go to away games? (not i'm a better fan than you statement, relevant to the point).

Do you remember the regular fights that were breaking out between Wednesdayites at the time. They were mainly caused by fans who "felt intense dislike for" Fox or maybe Dawson on occasions & ones who took offence at the level of this abuse. This was happening regularly.

You obviously are of the opinion that Boos and criticism to tell people to up their performance are some sort of motivational tool that actually works so probably leave it at that.

Yea we nearly got into a fight with some young kids who wouldn't stop abusing Reach a couple of seasons ago.

Guess some people either don't think or care.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

My kids are fuc**n ageist.

We all have season tickets, mine being the cheapest as it's a concession. 

We therefore decided that we would use mine to get the I Follow deal (as I would get less back on a refund), & they would get refunds on theirs.

I said i'd go along with this if they stopped their ageist attitude & smart arse comments.

The answer was they'd rather split the proceeds of the refunds & carry on with said attitude & comments.

😂

Divorce them.