Latest Plans on Finishing The Season

I suspect that the failure to decide how to conclude (or void) the current season is a forewarning to whatever next season brings.

Will the leagues be happy using PPG to decide who does what when dozens of clubs go bust in the coming months?

If the league can be finished safely, then do it. 

The next promble is time limits, with contracts, next season, EUROs etc. So if it can be done safely in a suitable time frame, then do it.

if those things can’t happen, that’s when the big decisions start.

for me, I would void the season, because anything else just doesn’t sit right, be it ppg, current standing or halfway standing. All have merits....but which ever is chosen will result in legal action by who ever suffers.

Given the massive argument is about lost money, what if compensation were offered, so Leeds don’t go up but don’t suffer financially for not doing so.

ultimately it will be decided by the EPL, because if they decide there’s no relegation, then there’s no promotion. So if they decide that they should compensate the top end championship clubs on a sliding scale.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 0114 said:

Yes around £200m but a club shouldn’t be gambling their own future chasing promotion. 

Woah there, who said anything about ‘gambling’ on promotion?

An example if I may...

This time 13 months ago, *says through gritted teeth* the pigs were on the verge of going up.  Their finances were totally sustainable.  They didn’t spend stupid money on transfers/wages.  Getting promoted with a modest budget was just the cherry on top of the cake.  Sorta like Huddersfield had done in 2017.

But the Premier League cash has sorted them for a generation.

If Covid had hit the UK in March 2019, rather than March 2020, almost every pig fan you know would be demanding for the season to be concluded.  Right?  It’s only ‘fair’ they would pleat.

Thing is, they would kinda have a point.  Why should a club miss out on a £200 million windfall?  Because of something totally out of their control too?

I’ve no idea what West Brom/Leeds/Fulham etc finances are like.  This season’s accounts won’t be released until next year.  That’s why pigs/Huddersfield examples were used.

4 hours ago, 0114 said:

If it was safe to play we wouldn’t need all these crazy ideas. I get a lot of what your, your right. But if it’s not safe to celebrate with each other but your allowed to contest a header or mark in a wall together then how is this possibly safe?

You’d have to test every single player/manager/coach/chairman/tea-lady very regularly.  If one person tests positive, they isolate themselves and are not involved in training or matches at the club.

Not that difficult in fairness.

4 hours ago, 0114 said:

I personally just don’t see how possibly one players life could be risked for financial reasons. Because your right in regards to greedy chairmen, if money wasn’t an issue football would have been cancelled already. Sad predicament really. 

Well yeah obviously.  I mean, we can all do the ‘if money wasn’t an issue’ hypothetical.

If money wasn’t an issue, football clubs wouldn’t go bust.  Because football brings joy, interest, humour and that sense of belonging to so many.

But the sad reality is, many clubs will go bust by this time next year.  An indirect result of Covid.

The majority will be League One/Two, Conference or lower down.  But this situation will also wreck the finances of Premier League and Championship clubs too.

Edited by Westfield Owl

i see two Dynamo Dresden players from Bundesliga 2 have tested positive for coronavirus meaning that all their players & staff need to isolate for 14 days. They were due to restart their season next Saturday.

1 hour ago, mogbad said:

i see two Dynamo Dresden players from Bundesliga 2 have tested positive for coronavirus meaning that all their players & staff need to isolate for 14 days. They were due to restart their season next Saturday.

And therein lies the problem. It’s one thing getting yourself in a position to re-start the season. Completing it maybe a different matter entirely.

10 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

Woah there, who said anything about ‘gambling’ on promotion?

An example if I may...

This time 13 months ago, *says through gritted teeth* the pigs were on the verge of going up.  Their finances were totally sustainable.  They didn’t spend stupid money on transfers/wages.  Getting promoted with a modest budget was just the cherry on top of the cake.  Sorta like Huddersfield had done in 2017.

But the Premier League cash has sorted them for a generation.

If Covid had hit the UK in March 2019, rather than March 2020, almost every pig fan you know would be demanding for the season to be concluded.  Right?  It’s only ‘fair’ they would pleat.

Thing is, they would kinda have a point.  Why should a club miss out on a £200 million windfall?  Because of something totally out of their control too?

I’ve no idea what West Brom/Leeds/Fulham etc finances are like.  This season’s accounts won’t be released until next year.  That’s why pigs/Huddersfield examples were used.

You’d have to test every single player/manager/coach/chairman/tea-lady very regularly.  If one person tests positive, they isolate themselves and are not involved in training or matches at the club.

Not that difficult in fairness.

Well yeah obviously.  I mean, we can all do the ‘if money wasn’t an issue’ hypothetical.

If money wasn’t an issue, football clubs wouldn’t go bust.  Because football brings joy, interest, humour and that sense of belonging to so many.

But the sad reality is, many clubs will go bust by this time next year.  An indirect result of Covid.

The majority will be League One/Two, Conference or lower down.  But this situation will also wreck the finances of Premier League and Championship clubs too.

I was referring to your comment in the first post “promotion is cancelled and your finances are f*****”. Which is a gamble.

I don’t think the Blades would. I read last week that if the season had ended after 37 games last season United wouldn’t have been promoted because they weren’t in the top 2 at that point. 

Yeah I agree testing, doesn’t sound too difficult just expensive. Which is why I don’t understand if every player on the pitch has tested fine why they can’t celebrate together? Or even Gordon Taylor’s idea of shortening a match? I just don’t see if it’s not safe to do those things how it’s possibly safe to play a game full stop. Also not keen on football clubs buying testing while there is a struggle for frontline staff to currently get one, not the best look.

Your right in regards to possibly seeing clubs go bust, hope the EFL are prepared and hopefully can offer help to ensure that doesn’t happen. Many businesses up and down the country will struggle and not receive the handouts that football will. I just hope we don’t lose a player/referee/coach because we had to have a game too soon. But who knows ey, so many if, buts and maybes it really is difficult to have clear idea of what’s going to have to happen before we start. 

10 hours ago, mogbad said:

I think Dresden is key. It shows how unbelievably difficult it is to make football work. As soon as one team gets struck down the whole pack of cards threatens to collapse.

In the Premier, can 20 clubs, each with a staff of 30-50, live, train, play and repair safely, over six weeks? The overwhelming likelihood is that some players become infected with the virus. Then what? And heaven forbid some poor player, coach, kitman, physio, cleaner are unfortunate enough to be badly affected. 

Cant see it myself. And I think it’s wrong to even try. “If I can watch West Ham play Burnley why can’t me and my mates play in the park?”

Every sane government (apologies to any Brazilians) say there will be a second wave of Covid, and maybe a third, fourth...imagine another shortage of PPE or tests, and we’ve watched City get thru truckloads of the precious stuff.

Congratulate Liverpool, Leeds, West Brom etc..Commiserate with Norwich, Bournemouth, Barnsley etc...and move on. Delay the 20/21 season start until mid-Sept to maximise the opportunity to see where we are as a country, and to plan what is certain to be a very different approach.

Bill Shankley once said "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that." 

He was wrong.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rickygoo said:

I don’t think Leeds, West Brom etc would agree that they were being treated equally with Barnsley. 

We’re preparing for both eventualities in the event of promotion and voiding.

whatever scenario is used sees us get promoted, be that finishing the season now or via PPG.

i am a bit fed up of the Premiership circus - clubs with vested interests so they can hang on to their multi millions. Given the eventual lawsuits that will no doubt be thrown at them, voiding seems plausible - but then they have to refund TV rights and the merry go round starts again.

me personally? I am happy with another season in the championship. We are relatively well positioned financially and will react better to this crisis than other clubs. Our club has already hinted it would continue with its recruitment of young promising footballers from those clubs who have been hit hardest financially. Some fine tuning should see us go close next season.

the only downside to not finishing the season is that Villa will not get relegated and hopefully go bust.. but not to worry !

my main concern is not that shower in the division above.. it’s how the likes of Walsall, Oldham, Accrington are going to survive without any form of income.. we might be on the verge of losing our football pyramid but instead we’re arguing the throw over celebrations, disinfecting grass and corner flags.. mind boggling.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 0114 said:

Your right in regards to possibly seeing clubs go bust, hope the EFL are prepared and hopefully can offer help to ensure that doesn’t happen. Many businesses up and down the country will struggle and not receive the handouts that football will. I just hope we don’t lose a player/referee/coach because we had to have a game too soon. But who knows ey, so many if, buts and maybes it really is difficult to have clear idea of what’s going to have to happen before we start. 

If last summer is anything to go by when the EFL were presented with the issues at Bolton and Bury respectively? Anyone hoping that they can help clubs in similar predicaments due to the current situation maybe in for a rude awakening?

It’s going to be interesting to see what happens post restart. Teams like United that have rolled forward on a wave the past few seasons might struggle. The reverse could also be true, trams in poor form could restart. Tactics, shape how teams are setup could all be different. 

4 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

If last summer is anything to go by when the EFL were presented with the issues at Bolton and Bury respectively? Anyone hoping that they can help clubs in similar predicaments due to the current situation maybe in for a rude awakening?

the EFL have been proved to be hopeless over the last decade. 

4 minutes ago, danblakemore said:

The only fair way to end the season is to nul and void it. Its rubbish, but every other way is second guessing the unpredictability of football.

I'd also not have any football in leagues 1 and 2 for a season to protect them. 

You’d protect them by them potentially going bust. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FroggattOwls said:

the EFL have been proved to be hopeless over the last decade. 

The EFL is essentially the clubs. Many football clubs have been run terribly over the last decade and more so it’s no surprise. Presumably Parry with all his experience was brought in to remedy that but then gets hit by the biggest crisis to hit society since the Second World War. 

Lower division clubs will need bailing out but where does that cash come from. Most of the bigger clubs live hand to mouth - Chansiri’s early early bird has turned into a masterpiece of strategy. I don’t see that they can or will pass money downwards. So that leaves the PL and the government. Fat chance. 

4 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

You’d protect them by them potentially going bust. 

You do realise that over 36% of league one and two clubs revenue is through the gate? 

Playing behind closed doors will 100% mean many clubs in league one and two will go bust. 

Halting the league for one year will potentially protect some clubs. Either way football in the lower leagues is screwed. Its about risk management now.