Latest Plans on Finishing The Season

1 minute ago, scram said:

So how are leagues 1 and 2 likely to restart with match day income that is their lifeblood any time soon?

They aren’t - my point was simply giving them a year off solves one problem and causes another giant one that threatens their existence. There has to be a lot more to the strategy. 

1 minute ago, danblakemore said:

You do realise that over 36% of league one and two clubs revenue is through the gate? 

Playing behind closed doors will 100% mean many clubs in league one and two will go bust. 

Halting the league for one year will potentially protect some clubs. Either way football in the lower leagues is screwed. Its about risk management now. 

And other revenue comes from the fact they are playing football. I’m not advocating playing behind closed doors at all. I’m saying just having a year off will be a major major headache in its own right. It needs a fully joined up plan across the whole of football to distribute cash. Can you mothball a football club for a whole year? I don’t know. They aren’t students having a gap year. 

• Like 1

There is going to be a lot of arguing over how the final placings are decided should Leagues not finish.

Just a thought when a game gets abandoned, it usually gets re-played. Should it be any different for a season? It just gets replayed under the banner season 2020/21?

Just now, rickygoo said:

They aren’t - my point was simply giving them a year off solves one problem and causes another giant one that threatens their existence. There has to be a lot more to the strategy. 

So voiding this season is better for them financially then.

It will actually cost a considerable amount to play games without fans. 

Promotion and relegation is negligible financially between those leagues and any uptake gets swallowed up in increased costs anyway. 

Obviously there is a downside from the sporting merit point of view but unless they can play games in front of fans then their income is brutally affected

Just now, BIG D said:

Again and again these things are happening, how do they hope to finish the season in any form with things like this happening

if the season is finished on a points per game system then that is just the same as finishing the league in the positions they are now

3 minutes ago, scram said:

So voiding this season is better for them financially then.

It will actually cost a considerable amount to play games without fans. 

Promotion and relegation is negligible financially between those leagues and any uptake gets swallowed up in increased costs anyway. 

Obviously there is a downside from the sporting merit point of view but unless they can play games in front of fans then their income is brutally affected

I was replying to a post that said they should take a season off to protect them.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, the third man said:

Again and again these things are happening, how do they hope to finish the season in any form with things like this happening

if the season is finished on a points per game system then that is just the same as finishing the league in the positions they are now

One option is weighting it to look at teams’ home and away form and then extrapolating a points total from that - because there’s an imbalance between how many home and away games some L1 and L2 teams have played. Don’t shoot the messenger. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BIG D said:

It's about time football saw sense. Its irresponsible to try to finish the season. 

We know it's all about money, shift the blame to Sky and BT as the bad guys if they want, they are as reliant on fans as the clubs to prop up their business through subscriptions and sure they wont want to be seen to financially cripple football, a product they largely rely on.

Clubs get paid their money, stop being twats about finishing the season and people flock back to Sky and BT when football resumes, desperate as we all are to see games, but played in a safe environment.

2 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

One option is weighting it to look at teams’ home and away form and then extrapolating a points total from that - because there’s an imbalance between how many home and away games some L1 and L2 teams have played. Don’t shoot the messenger. 

That is how the points per game thing would work.

15 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Don't they also need to weight it based on recent results?

that would allow for teams who have improved their form this year, and allow for teams, like us, who have had a disaster this year

to get any where near a fair system you are going to need a much more complicated system than just dividing the number of points gained by the number of games played

29 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

And other revenue comes from the fact they are playing football. I’m not advocating playing behind closed doors at all. I’m saying just having a year off will be a major major headache in its own right. It needs a fully joined up plan across the whole of football to distribute cash. Can you mothball a football club for a whole year? I don’t know. They aren’t students having a gap year. 

This is the problem,  I can't see any way forward that won't have severe implications on football. Mothballing clubs could protect them long term, but your also right, it might not work. Its such a hard thing to call. But I'm just giving my opinion and I think nothing could be ruled out in the unprecedented times. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

It’s cobblers isn’t it?

I also take this into account every Saturday on my football bet

lol

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, danblakemore said:

This is the problem,  I can't see any way forward that won't have severe implications on football. Mothballing clubs could protect them long term, but your also right, it might not work. Its such a hard thing to call. But I'm just giving my opinion and I think nothing could be ruled out in the unprecedented times. 

I think you're right. Not playing for as long as they can afford it seems to be the sensible thing - but that might vary from league to league and club to club. 

5 minutes ago, the third man said:

Don't they also need to weight it based on recent results?

that would allow for teams who have improved their form this year, and allow for teams, like us, who have had a disaster this year

to get any where near a fair system you are going to need a much more complicated system than just dividing the number of points gained by the number of games played

We'd be in r8 bother if the stadium sale case goes against us. Let's forget that one. 

lol

On 09/05/2020 at 06:52, billyblack said:

Which businesses are you referring to?

Doesnt sound like the League 1 and League 2 businesses are having a say in running their businesses.

Yes they are, they've taken the decision they can't afford to fulfil their remaining fixtures without any matchday income.

On 09/05/2020 at 07:28, Holmowl said:

Not sure mate.

If I understand correctly:-

• L1and L2 clubs lose money by playing to empty stadia.
  • The Prem make handsome money by playing, even if in empty stadia, due to TV income.
  • I assume for Championship teams they are somewhere in the middle of those extremes

There’s a moral argument about footie starting back, but I think financially it does make sense for leagues to act differently.

Stop it with all your sensible explanations. No place for it here. 

• Haha 1

On 09/05/2020 at 10:09, billyblack said:

Why are league 1 and league 2 clubs not allowed to fight for their promotion?

Because they can't afford to play games without matchday income. 

AAARRGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 07:28, Holmowl said:

Not sure mate.

If I understand correctly:-

• L1and L2 clubs lose money by playing to empty stadia.
  • The Prem make handsome money by playing, even if in empty stadia, due to TV income.
  • I assume for Championship teams they are somewhere in the middle of those extremes

There’s a moral argument about footie starting back, but I think financially it does make sense for leagues to act differently.

cant see a moral argument when it could potentially cost lives